Leveling jack question

Any body knows why a hydraulic jack will retract about 2" every 12 hours even though their is no evident oil leak.

I should mention only one jack is retracting

For a 1998 Monaco dynasty

I hope this is the right forum for this posting?

Thanks 

Edited by inventor1949
corrected the post

38 minutes ago, JetAburner said:

Sounds like a valve problem. Oil under pressure is making its way back to the reservoir via a leak through the valve. Check that the manual valve stems are closed tight.

The valve is tight yes

24 minutes ago, Rick A said:

Just a thought. Is the reservoir full? I had a similar issue and I filled the reservoir and the problem went away. Neophyte answer? 

Yes the tank is full is only one jack is retracting I dint declarer that on my original post I went back and corrected that after this quote 

Edited by inventor1949

55 minutes ago, Rick A said:

Just a thought. Is the reservoir full? I had a similar issue and I filled the reservoir and the problem went away. Neophyte answer? 

A low reservoir should not affect a cylinder leaking down.  Unless air is getting into the lines due to very low fluid level.  The air is compressible, then fluid not.

Sounds like a valve is internally leaking.

If the fluid level is lower than usual, then you have an external leak you haven't found yet.

Edited by DavidL

13 minutes ago, DavidL said:

A low reservoir should not affect a cylinder leaking down.  Unless air is getting into the lines due to very low fluid level.  The air is compressible, then fluid not.

Sounds like a valve is internally leaking.

If the fluid level is lower than usual, then you have an external leak you haven't found yet.

This sounds logical to me DavidL with the tests that I have done so where do I start looking for this valve in the unit I suppose do you recommend disassemble the unit and check or is there a specific test to rule it in or out?

And no external leak or paddle of oil anywhere

Edited by inventor1949
  • Like 1

If you retract all the jacks, (my rig can retract all or individually) at once can you retract? Have you tried them individually! Not sure why it won’t retract because the spring should do this if the fluid has been drained from the jacks. 
Does the original problem jack collapse under the weigh of the rig and get stuck on the ground of do the springs draw it back up over a longer period?

There should be a valve for that one leg.

Many have a manual valve to open that valve.

As mentioned in prior responses, sometimes dirt gets on the valve seat that then doesn't allow it to seal.

Get a hydraulic diagram for your system.  Feel free to post it for more info.

Make sure you have the chassis on safety jacks while you mess with valves / hoses.  You do not want one leg to collapse which will then twist the chassis and could cause damage.  Not to mention it will crush whatever is underneath.

3 minutes ago, Rick A said:

If you retract all the jacks, (my rig can retract all or individually) at once can you retract? Have you tried them individually! Not sure why it won’t retract because the spring should do this if the fluid has been drained from the jacks. 
Does the original problem jack collapse under the weigh of the rig and get stuck on the ground of do the springs draw it back up over a longer period?

No no I don't have a retracting problem I have a problem of one stay pout

I think this post is starting to get complicated 

In summery I have 3 jacks two of them are holding and never lost holding however one never hold and always have to raise every 12 hours

what I have done/test so far.

I have removed the manual valve clean and tightened visual check for leaks and their non.

You would need to put pressure gauges across the valve to determine if it's leaking internally (highly likely). 

I don't think these valves are all that expensive.  I would just replace it.

You may be able to disconnect the hose on the fluid return side of the valve.  If it's leaking, it will drain fluid out of that port when the leg is under pressure.  Now this is for sure when you do things carefully.

Edited by DavidL

1 hour ago, inventor1949 said:

Any body knows why a hydraulic jack will retract about 2" every 12 hours even though their is no evident oil leak.

I should mention only one jack is retracting

For a 1998 Monaco dynasty

I hope this is the right forum for this posting?

Thanks 

O rings

1 minute ago, inventor1949 said:

O rings? where on the jack?

Are there two hoses to each jack or only one and a spring to return the jack up?

If two hoses (push / pull), then an o ring inside the jack can allow fluid to go from the Up to the Down side of the piston.

If only one hose, any leak would be an external leak and a puddle.

7 minutes ago, DavidL said:

Are there two hoses to each jack or only one and a spring to return the jack up?

If two hoses (push / pull), then an o ring inside the jack can allow fluid to go from the Up to the Down side of the piston.

If only one hose, any leak would be an external leak and a puddle.

I don't know the number of hoses but their springs for return and no external leak and or puddle.

Edited by inventor1949

17 hours ago, inventor1949 said:

No no I don't have a retracting problem I have a problem of one stay pout

I think this post is starting to get complicated 

In summery I have 3 jacks two of them are holding and never lost holding however one never hold and always have to raise every 12 hours

what I have done/test so far.

I have removed the manual valve clean and tightened visual check for leaks and their non.

It is leaking back through the electric valve into the tank.  Thus, you won't see any leak.  The valve needs to be taken apart and cleaned or replaced.  Not sure what brand of jacks you have.  Probably have RVA jacks Monaco was using them in the late 90's  

You can get information here RVA Jacks, RVA Leveling, RVA Jack, RVA Parts, Monaco Leveling Jacks, RVA Jacks Troubleshooting

Here is the RVA page for trouble shooting settling

Symptom: Coach settles on one or more corners after leveling. (rvajack.com)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Larry Laursen said:

It is leaking back through the electric valve into the tank.  Thus, you won't see any leak.  The valve needs to be taken apart and cleaned or replaced.  Not sure what brand of jacks you have.  Probably have RVA jacks Monaco was using them in the late 90's  

You can get information here RVA Jacks, RVA Leveling, RVA Jack, RVA Parts, Monaco Leveling Jacks, RVA Jacks Troubleshooting

thanks that sounds good to me and rimes with what I see, here is e picture of the pump but Monaco dint make it easy to access so how do I get to it?

20211101_135854.jpg

20211101_140120.jpg

Here the rest of the pictures

20211101_142649.jpg

20211101_142748.jpg

Assuming you have HWH jacks, contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My leak down of one jack was not as fast as yours, maybe an inch overnight. No leaking fluid externally so back thru the solenoid valve. Does not appear to be manual releases on my valve body. System is PowerGear. We have owned the coach for 4 months. About a month ago, I siphoned out most of the ATF in the reservoir and pulled the drain plug with only a cup or so of fluid remaining. Much less of a mess. Refiled. No longer leaking down over night. I am thinking that replacing the 15 year old fluid with new may have helped with better lubing/cleaning of the orings and valve seats. Old fluid looked OK.   $30 for 2 gallons of ATF.

Your cylinder rods, just above the pads, look pretty dirty. That can be tuff on the seals. WD40 can be a good cleaning fluid.

Some PowerGear jacks, maybe others, have grease zerks at the cylinder end. My jacks were slow to retract or would not come up fully. A couple of squirts of grease 45 days ago and about 40 cycles with full retraction. This last week, two were a bit slow. Will lube this week.  PG recommends lube ever 25 to 30 cycles.

Thanks ok-rver but the part of the shaft that is dirty is retracting behind the tubing never reach the Oring, my problem is that the pump is in a inaccessible place and I don't have the slightest idea how to access it but Veraken have suggested I contact Paul at Irv2 that is my next move.