Storage Question

dandick66

I had to put my coach in a storage lot for a few weeks.  Unfortunately, there is no shore power available.  At home I’ve have always had the coach plugged into a power source to keep the batteries charged.  
I was wondering if I should turn off the battery disconnect switches.  Right now I have the AGS enabled to start if the batteries drop to 12.1 volts.  I’m not sure if that’s the best solution.  I am able to check it a couple of times a week.  I just don’t know how fast the batteries will go down and if I should trust the AGS.

Dan D, 2012 Diplomat 43DFT

Dan, if it's just for a few weeks I would not worry, just let the AGS maintain the battery SOC. However, if it were to be a few months or more than I would remove the negative cable on both battery banks and let them sit providing the coach is not stored in any winter weather.

This last summer we moved and I could no longer keep our rv in the driveway at our new house so it went in storage in a neighboring state ate a place that was secure but with out an electric hook up. The house batteries are LFP so I just through the main switch to turn them off when in storage. For the Chassis Batteries I hooked up a 25 watt solar panel, bought on Amazon that that came with its on NMP 12v charge controller. When in storage I shut off the chassis battery switch and place the solar panel on the roof. Seems to work on keeping my Chassis batteries topped off.

Thanks for all the responses.  I put it in storage on Tuesday and I will go look at it tomorrow.  It will only be there a couple of weeks before I use it, then back in storage for a couple of weeks.  I’ll check voltage levels and generator hours tomorrow to see if it’s run yet. 
I do have the AGS set to run for 2.5 hours. 
Dan D

When I bought mine, I kept it in storage and turned off the battery switches every time and had no issues that way.  I did not unhook the negative cables, but that sounds like a good idea. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE 02 FEB 2022

Well, the AGS was performing as it should, but I felt the batteries were going down way too fast.  I turned the battery disconnect switches and did not see a great reduction in voltage drop over a 24 hour period.  I shut off most of the circuit breakers, but again, not a big difference.  
So, I turned ff the inverter (Magnum MS-2812) at the remote panel, and after 6 days my batteries are still at 12.2 volts.  I’ve come to the conclusion that the inverter must not be affected by the battery disconnect switches and/or I have a substantial load that I’m not aware of.

Batteries are 4 each US L16HC (430 AH) and are less than 3 years old.

Dan D, 2012 Diplomat 43DFT

Dan, I don't have a good pic of my setup, but the positives in my coach leave the battery and go straight to the battery switches.  I don't think anything else is wired straight to the batteries. That allowed me to shut off mine at the switches for a couple of months and they would be charged.  Now, though, I leave it plugged in when stored to keep the batteries maintained.  

20210106_134351.jpg