Aladdin issue

My Aladdin had been working fine, but when I stopped for lunch, I started the generator and went over to the house electric page and found all xxxx's for all the values AC, DC, and solar. Then to the tank level page and likewise all xxxx's on tank quantities, compass, and temperatures. But the engine page works fine, the trip and fuel page works fine, time and date, cameras work fine. Haven't had a chance to get into it yet, but looking at the schematics, the only thing I see that ties those items together is the bus tap. When it warms up, may have to wait until we get back to Florida, I am going to try to swap some of the inputs in the 2 bus taps in the cargo bay and see if the problem follows. Any advice or ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Although you removed power which should have done a system reset, on my Dynasty there is an Aladdin reset switch located in the cabinet over the entrance door.  You likely also have an Aladdin reset switch in a similar location in your Navigator.

Ok, the data buss flows from the Aladdin control box to a junction box under the dash where the dash control joy stick and the cable to the rear Aladdin modules connect.  It sounds like the front Aladdin control is working otherwise you wouldn't be able to view the screens.  There are also two rear junction boxes where the electrical, tanks, temperature sensor and rear Aladdin control joy stick plug it.  So, to help isolate the problem, is the rear Aladdin controller working?  If it is not working, then the likely problem is the data line connection between the front and rear data junction boxes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willbo777 said:

I also have a monitor and joy stick in the bedroom.  It shows exactly the same information on all screens.  Both joysticks work fine.

Having both joy sticks working is good.  It shows that you have power and data to the joy sticks.  The modules use the same data wires but the +12v and ground are different.  You will see the plug pins for the module power on the aladdin schematic.  Module power comes from the Aladdin controller under the dash. If the modules are getting power and properly grounded then I'd focus on the area in the bay ceiling where the non working Aladdin modules and associated junction connector blocks are located.  If you don't already have it, here is a link to the Aladdin wiring diagram.

All the modules and components are tied together via RS485 data busses.  Any module or component can put corrupt data on the data buss.  Disconnect all modules and components except for the joy stick and reset the system.  Then add modules and components one at a time resetting system after adding to determine which one adds the corrupt data.  That is the trouble shooting technique the user guide offers.

Thanks much to both of you.  I will be unable to do that until Tuesday of next week as we are tied up til then.  It appears to me that all the inputs to the bus taps are connected to each other so it doesn't matter where each is plugged in, is that true?

Yes, that is correct.  The only thing that is different are the cables for the joy stick vs the module cables because of the power input pin positions.  The cables can be plugged into any junction connection position.

For the modules, the only option I'm aware of for replacement is a salvage yard.

Now, for the video control module, there are a number of different version out there including the Aladdin Jr module.  The good news is that you can open up your existing module and remove the IC program chip and put it into a salvage module to get the same system version already installed in your coach.  All the video control module circuit boards are the same.  Different models just had different integrated circuit program chips installed.

Thank you Frank!

I know folks have moved over to other systems when their Allison failed. Mine is in good shape currently and I like it. I would prefer to repair it if needed in the future as I like the functionality and displayed info in a compact display over a larger laptop system. 

I've worked allot with RS-485 over the years, and if it turns out to be a module issue you can replace the RS-485 driver chip on the circuit board and see if it fixes the issue.   They are cheap, don't need programming and are a point of failure in RS-485 networks.     It's probably surface mounted though, so you'll need someone with good soldering skills.   

Hopefully it's just a loose cable though.

These guys are probably your best bet in getting new stuff that works with Aladdin:

https://silverleafelectronics.com/?page_id=2732

Thank you all for all of the input on this topic.  My Aladdin system just failed and I am in the process of installing a Silverleaf replacement package for the Aladdin.  Not sure I made the best choice.  Will update this post when my install is complete.   Would love to hear any good or bad comments about my choice.

7 hours ago, granvillebarker said:

I've been SilverLeaf products in my coach for 20 years now that show engine data, there stuff works well and appears to be made well.   I haven't used their Aladdin replacement products though.

If I can't find a loose wire or bad connection, I am very interested in what kind of readouts you get for AC legs, amperage draw, house battery condition and voltage Dc amp draw etc?  I recently installed a See Level so don't need the tank levels, but I need the electrical info, and fault descriptions that are depicted on my Aladdin from my Surge Guard transfer switch.

I will take pictures and share info on the install of the Silverleaf.  Part of the kit is an all new Seelevel tank level system which can send a RV-C standard data stream to the Silverleaf main processing box.  Most other wire runs and the buss switches are reused, which should make it, hopefully an easy install.   When I say easy, I have a fair amount of experience in marine system installs with buss configuration and alike.  More to come...

Today we finally had an opportunity to get and troubleshoot, which started with no status lights at all.  Then unplug and plug all lines, and when we reset the line which I believe goes up to the main switch under the dash, everything came back.  Wow, good news!

I am also a SilverLeaf user for the past 12 years and a huge fan. I use the VMSpc for monitoring my engine data plus it integrates with the Pressure Pro TPMS if needed.

Some people have gone to the BlueFire system for engine data. Don't know much about that system.