No power

TOBYLB4

54 minutes ago, Nevada Rob said:

Where you able to actually talk to anyone at Southwire?? Called them today and all you get is a recording directing everyone to their website and fill in all your personal info to try and get an answer as to which transfer switch is a direct replacement for a Surge Guard 40250?? Do they really need my address to point me to the correct product??????

There is no direct replacement that will talk to Aladdin.  The 40350RVC is a direct replacement but if you want to see the voltage, amps, etc., you have to also buy the remote display and run the comm cable to it from the transfer switch.

I found a really well written and clear trouble shooting flow chart online. Turns out the ground terminal on the power cord I was using has broken inside the plug. Open ground issue. The plug looks good and does carry power but the ground side is apparently bad. So instead of spending $800 on something that was not broken to spending $8 on two new plug ends equals a good day. Research and process of elimination goes a long way. Thanks to anyone who chimed in on this. Have a great day all. 

Robert,

It is always easier and cheaper to trouble-shoot the easy stuff first before heading down into the rabbit hole that could cost you some big bucks.

I believe there were a couple of people here that posted earlier suggesting checking the power cord ends first to make sure they were correct before moving on to more expensive parts and devices.

Glad you found and fixed your problem.

6 hours ago, Nevada Rob said:

Where you able to actually talk to anyone at Southwire?? Called them today and all you get is a recording directing everyone to their website and fill in all your personal info to try and get an answer as to which transfer switch is a direct replacement for a Surge Guard 40250?? Do they really need my address to point me to the correct product??????

I think I wrote them an inquiry on their web site or by sending an email. It was last mid-December, so my memory is kind of foggy from that long ago.

Hello Richard. Hope you are well. Did you get a new coach? I did an initial check on the cord. I had power in the receptacle on the side of my shop. I had power in the cord, power in the 50 amp shore power cord. I took the cover off of the transfer switch and had 110 volts in the box. I could manually activate the shore power switch by hand and energize the coach if I held in the switch button. All connection and hardware looked good. No heat damage, no corrosion, no sign of equipment failure. So I went back to the beginning and started over. When I unplugged the heavy duty extension cord from the wall the ground prong looked a little long. When I pulled on it the darn thing came out of the molded rubber cord plug. Learn something new every day.

Robert, YES, we do learn something every day. Since picking up our 2006 Monaco Dynasty on Monday, I have been thrust into quickly learning about all of the new systems that the Dynasty has that are different than the Windsor I have owned for the past 18 years.

When it comes to power cords it is best to trouble-shoot them without having them connected as you can get false information. Having a DVOM meter and physically inspecting it has proven to work more often than using it connected to power.