Engine fuel leak? Injector ?

Barely made it to the RV resort, engine lost power, lots of smoke, terrible mileage, but no codes thrown. Happened right after I filled up at Loves, I thought bad fuel first, but we could smell fuel inside the coach and the back of the coach is covered in soot. Engine has soot on top of drivers side. I’m suspecting some type of fuel leak and/or bad injector. Anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in gulf shores/orange beach AL ?
2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 62k miles , Navi star max force 10 DT 9.3L engine.

804D10EA-C246-471C-8EFB-7FC15EA011A6.jpeg

D29C6CEE-6564-44E2-BA15-A4F2329A87A2.jpeg

Just after filling?  I'd still lean toward bad fuel, even if it was a Love's.  Can you drain some fuel out of the fuel separator and look at it?  Or just throw a new set of filters at it (cheaper than a trip to the International dealer) ? 

- bob

6 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Just after filling?  I'd still lean toward bad fuel, even if it was a Love's.  Can you drain some fuel out of the fuel separator and look at it?  Or just throw a new set of filters at it (cheaper than a trip to the International dealer) ? 

- bob

While I’d love it if this is the case. Hard part is this is not our 8.3 Cummins. Maxforce has a whole slew of issues. International themselves has dropped their own engines and now runs Cummins. 

A blown intercooler hose would cause lack of power and coat everything in soot. The part of the equation is the fuel smell. It kinda doesn’t fit in with a intercooler hose. 

Edited by JDCrow

Looking at your first photo, the soot looks a lot worse on the left side.  That is where the CAC hoses connect.  That could very well be your problem.  You can open the small door on the left and see the hoses.  Could also possibly be your wastegate is stuck - (Disclaimer- I have no firsthand experience with the wastegate, just what I’ve heard.)  like CBR046 suggested, change the fuel filters.  It looks like you already have the engine cover off, so you can get to the secondary filter easier.  However, I would start with the primary/water separator.  

I have a 2012 43DFT with the Maxxforce 10.  I have had no major problems.  As you probably know, there are several different Maxxforce engines and the 10 has not had any of the problems that have the Maxxforce a bad name.  

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

Looking at your first photo, the soot looks a lot worse on the left side.  That is where the CAC hoses connect.  That could very well be your problem.  You can open the small door on the left and see the hoses.  Could also possibly be your wastegate is stuck - (Disclaimer- I have no firsthand experience with the wastegate, just what I’ve heard.)  like CBR046 suggested, change the fuel filters.  It looks like you already have the engine cover off, so you can get to the secondary filter easier.  However, I would start with the primary/water separator.  

I have a 2012 43DFT with the Maxxforce 10.  I have had no major problems.  As you probably know, there are several different Maxxforce engines and the 10 has not had any of the problems that have the Maxxforce a bad name.  

Good luck and keep us posted.

Truth, the 11 and 13 lead to major trucking firms going after International and thus the huge settlement, and death of the Maxxforce.

What MH having going for them is lack of miles put on them, and they are not “hard” miles like a truck would incur. 

Egr, egr coolers, and DPF are the Bain of all Diesel engines. I run fuel additive in all the diesels own (2 currently) in hopes of getting a hotter burn and better lubricity . 

Don’t get me wrong, I love International. Family still owns 2 8600 dump trucks. Both Cummins, 444 and N14. Owned a few 466 which were legendary. They just were not ready for emissions way back in 08 and fell behind. I suspect poor management at some point. I hope they right their ship. In the interim, they are buying trucks from Chevy for medium duty applications.

https://tfltruck.com/2018/11/new-2019-international-cv-is-a-chevy-silverado-4500-by-another-face-news/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Truth, the 11 and 13 lead to major trucking firms going after International and thus the huge settlement, and death of the Maxxforce.

What MH having going for them is lack of miles put on them, and they are not “hard” miles like a truck would incur. 

Egr, egr coolers, and DPF are the Bain of all Diesel engines. I run fuel additive in all the diesels own (2 currently) in hopes of getting a hotter burn and better lubricity . 

Don’t get me wrong, I love International. Family still owns 2 8600 dump trucks. Both Cummins, 444 and N14. Owned a few 466 which were legendary. They just were not ready for emissions way back in 08 and fell behind. I suspect poor management at some point. I hope they right their ship. In the interim, they are buying trucks from Chevy for medium duty applications.

https://tfltruck.com/2018/11/new-2019-international-cv-is-a-chevy-silverado-4500-by-another-face-news/

I bought mine used late 2017.  I wasn’t aware of the Maxxforce problems, or I probably would have not bought it.  However, like I said, I haven’t had any major problems (I did have to replace the ACM - after treatment control module- but that wasn’t a show stopper.  
Let’s hope GKwarner gets his problem fixed quickly.

Dan

9 minutes ago, Gkwarner said:

Access isn’t too bad, but when dealing with exhaust manifolds, I worry about breaking off bolts !

I saw a video dealing with just that thing.  Repeated soakings of PB Blaster over days then loosen + tighten + loosen + tighten + more PB Blaster . . . basically working the manifold bolts loose.  There's heat as well, but there's no good way to explain to the insurance company you burnt your coach to the ground with a MAP torch. 

Good luck,

- bob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I saw a video dealing with just that thing.  Repeated soakings of PB Blaster over days then loosen + tighten + loosen + tighten + more PB Blaster . . . basically working the manifold bolts loose.  There's heat as well, but there's no good way to explain to the insurance company you burnt your coach to the ground with a MAP torch. 

Good luck,

- bob

^^^^^^this^^^^^^

Or fuel pump. My Cummins was “making oil”, spilling out the slobber tube and made a mess on the back of the coach and tow car (but my side radiator stayed clean). 
Cummins thought it was an injector and did a die test to confirm. It was a leaking high pressure fuel pump. $5,400 for the pump + labor. 

15 minutes ago, lindsey_27511 said:

Or fuel pump. My Cummins was “making oil”, spilling out the slobber tube and made a mess on the back of the coach and tow car (but my side radiator stayed clean). 
Cummins thought it was an injector and did a die test to confirm. It was a leaking high pressure fuel pump. $5,400 for the pump + labor. 

Caps pump? I’ll be tackling a fuel leak on my Caps pump soon. I’ll do a write up and post with pics on here. 

Edited by JDCrow
  • Like 2