Automatic Glendining Cord Reel

fiverwheel

TO: Dr4Film

I wanted to ask you about your response. Doesn't the RLC require more space to store the cable once rewinded? I'm not sure I have enough room for the cable barrel! Any insights would be appreciated. BTW I am looking to install into a Monaco 37 PDQ.

The Glendinning RLC Cablemaster  in my Windsor does not have a barrel. It winds into an empty space at the driver's side rear corner of the coach. The cable access door is a little above my waist level and the mechanism is a little higher than that. As stated, it coils the cable into a dead space.

The Cablemaster in my Dynasty runs up a large PVC pipe through the mechanism and into a barrel. The power cable is accessible from the service bay and has an opening through the floor to run the cable down through so you can close and lock and Service Bay Door.

I am not familiar with the Cayman's so I can't help you there.

I have never had any problem with the power cable or the RLC Cablemaster in the 18+ years I have owned the coach plus the previous owner never had any problem either. However, there have been numerous members who have had problems with their power cord reels.

One procedure that I always do when retracting the cable is to wipe the cable with a wet rag making sure ALL junk and debris has been removed from the outer casing of the power cord. This ensures that the RLC Cablemaster pinch mechanism will not get damaged over time.

Guest Ray Davis
20 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

my Windsor does not have a barrel. It winds into an empty space at the driver's side rear corner of the coach

So, is it essentially the same mechanism but yours uses a space in the coach in place of the barrel?

I had a HR that I stuffed the cord into a hole in the wall for travel, nothing automatic about it.  Pretty fool proof though, and it beat having to roll it up and storing it.

2 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

So, is it essentially the same mechanism but yours uses a space in the coach in place of the barrel?

I had a HR that I stuffed the cord into a hole in the wall for travel, nothing automatic about it.  Pretty fool proof though, and it beat having to roll it up and storing it.

Yes, they offer a RLC without the collection barrel and one with the barrel.

I bet that hole never caused you any headaches unlike those with the reels. LOL

Guest Ray Davis
12 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Yes, they offer a RLC without the collection barrel and one with the barrel.

I bet that hole never caused you any headaches unlike those with the reels. LOL

Thanks Richard, I wish I had a cable master instead if my reel.  Maybe someday.

We full timed 10 years, 8 in a 07 Executive we ordered. It had a collection barrel for the power cord. I had a lot of problems with the in feed into the barrel. Manually assisting does help.  After a period of time, the cable takes a "set" into it from being stored in the barrel. And as mentioned, i always wiped it off as i reeled it in.

My solution to that was, once a month i would extend the entire cable, on a warm sunny day, take the twist out of it mannually, and let it lay for the day.  That routine resolved the issue for me. I would never have another collection devise like that again, for/as a coach power cable storage/retrieval purpose.