Just started working on a Fass install.  Decided to mount it close to the tank which is in the front of the MH.  There was not enough room in the fuel tank compartment, which would have been my first choice.  Didn't want to mount it in the storage bays for obvious reasons.  Crawled up under the MH and found there is plenty of room to mount the Fass unit between the back of the propane tank and the passenger side storage compartment.  This puts the Fass unit close to the front run bay for the electrical connections.  The fill neck is on the passenger side of the MH.  Here are a couple of pics of the bracket temporarily mounted behind the propane tank.  Didn't have to drill holes or make any modifications to anything.  There is plenty of room and the bottoms of the filters will be even with the frame members.  Fairly easy to change filters when needed.  Just a couple of questions.  Also have some pics of the top of the fuel tank near the fill neck.  Is the line on the far left the suction line? Is the line on the far right the return line from the injector pump? The line in the middle is the vent for the fuel tank.  Is this a good place to attach the return line from the Fass pump.  Also, there are two filters back by the engine, looks like two water separator filters, one with the wired connection.  Any ideas as to what to do with these? Thanks and God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-4 copy 19.jpeg

thumbnail-3 copy 30.jpeg

thumbnail-1 copy 73.jpeg

thumbnail-2 copy 47.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Ed I used the vent line for my return by placing a T with a male to male nipple into the tank and putting the vent into the center of the T and the return into the top of the T. The vent is the third line from the left in your picture as you will see it go hi and loupe around to the bottom of the rear side of the tank. I have the same year/model as you and these things truly are snow flakes. My fuel filter are in different locations then yours.

Tim   

Jim and Tim, thanks for looking in and giving me a hand with this.  In the second picture of the top of the tank you can see four fittings into the top of the tank.  The fitting on the far left doesn't have anything hooked to it.  The second fitting and the first one with a hose is, I am assuming the suction line for the lift and injector pump.  The third fitting from the left is definitely the vent line, as it goes immediately to the right of the filler neck to the bottom of the compartment and exits.  Is the fourth fitting the return line from the lift pump manifold?  As you say, they are snowflakes. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

I'm sorry ED I don't know the answers. I think my pickup line that that goes to the Lift/injection pump is on the driver's side and there is no clearance on my coach to get to them. I used the line at the lift pump to go to my FASS pump as I installed mine in the back. I by-passed the lift pump.

Tim 

Mine are different as I had lines on both the drivers side and passenger side of the top of the tank.  Two smaller lines were for the generator.  My vent line was easy to determine so that left the two larger lines.  I couldn't visually determine which was the feed and or return.  So I took the one off on the drivers side and laid it in a large tub, I then disconnected the feed line to my primary filter and "blew" through it fixing I'd either blow fuel out the hose I disconnected or bubbles in the tank.  I guessed right, my pickup line was on the drivers side and by process of elimination the return line on the passenger side. 

I left the return line alone and then pulled the suction line to the FASS pump to used as the supply line.  , it was long enough.  I then had a new suction line made at NAPA to feed the FASS pump.  Then just did the FASS return to tank line onto the vent line as pictured above. 

I was able to mount my FASS pump in the fuel/propane compartment passenger side, well protected from the elements and easy to change filter.   The picture below shows a wood shelf that goes all the way across the compartment above the propane tank and use this area for storage, I just cut a slot so that I can change filters. 

FASS Bracket.jpg

FASS Mounted.jpg

6 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

I am thinking about installing the FASS pump in my 36’ 2000 Dynasty. What pump and kit did you order?

I bought my kit from Parely Diesel, most of the kits are for Dodge trucks and come with the brakcets, wiring harness, fittings, hose.  I used most of the stuff.  This was the best price I could find, free shipping, no tax, got it in 4 days TX to TN.

https://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/products/fass-titanium-signature-series-100-gph-lift-pump-for-1998-5-2004-dodge-ram-5-9l-cummins-tsd08100g

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

My bad, I completely forgot that the generator had a feed line from the tank.  Jim, thank you for the additionl pics.  Guess I'll have to use your (air method) to determine which and where each hose goes.  Tim as always, thank you for your input and guidance.  Rocketman, the kit we purchased is the TS D08 100G from Rudy's Diesel,  $699.00 plus $57.67 sales tax with free shipping.  Arrived in 3 days.  The pump has a lifetime warranty.  AS a side note.  If you purchase from a non-authorized vender, Fass will not honor the warranty.  ( Second hand info) did not check with Fass.  God Bless all of you, Ed & Sylvia

Just got back from church.  After reading Jim's post decided to take a look at the other side of the tank.  Cannot see top of tank on the drivers side.  Held my phone up above tank to take a pic.  I can't see what the phone is able to see.  Anyway, 3 more fittings but only two lines hooked up any ideas as to what these are? See pic.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-1.jpeg

My guess is these are the other fuel lines for the generator and engine.  The one with no line connected might be a spare bung hole, I believe Vanwill said he had a spare bung hole on his drivers side.  I didn't.

The panel on the drivers side probably swings up like a standard basement door.  It is probably held down with some straps.  Remove the straps and it might swing up.  Does it look like a it has a the male/female hinge at the top like the other doors.  Monaco put these in but didn't make them usable.  I've read where others have put latches on these to be able to open.  On the back side of your wet bay compartment there may be another panel strapped down.  Mine has a latch and struts, I actually store some stuff next to the fresh water tank.

Edited by jacwjames

Jim, the panel on the driver's side was up.  The way our fuel tank is configured on the driver's side does not allow you to see directly on top of the tank. See pics.  I was wondering if maybe the fuel system has dual suction lines for the fuel system, one on each end of the tank.  If so, that would be great as my Fass pump is only about 2 feet from the big line on the drivers side of the tank.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

That's the same thing I ran into Ed. So I mounted my FASS pump in the rear. It has no problem pulling 17psi to the injector pump. I did have to run 35' of return line to the tank. (not that bad of job) The electrical was easy as I picked it up in the rear electrical bay off of an ignition jumper wire. No current involved because it triggers a relay. Let me know if you want anymore info or pictures. God Bless, Tim 

Helping DW in the kitchen today.  If I get a chance I'll use the (Jim air test) on the lines to see what goes where.  Will we need to keep both filters back in the engine compartment?  Thanks for the offer Tim, if I end up changing locations, I'll let you know if we need more pics.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

I initially kept the primary filter functional figuring it might help catch anything that had gotten into the system.  I have since removed and bypassed it.    I left the secondary filter in place in front of the CAPs pump and this is where I installed the sensor for the Glowshift pressure gauge I installed in the front dash. 

I did bypass the small transfer pump on the engine and install a "Fooler" relay that tricks the ECM into thinking the pump is there. 

I've put +10K miles on my system since install and on startup the gauge still reads +16psi.  Not sure when to change the original filters that came with the FASS pump.  I did buy some spares to carry. 

Thanks Jim, I would like to get rid of one of the filters.  Should keep the one with the electrical fitting on the bottom? Here are a couple of pics of the lift pump and CAPS pump on our unit.  My preference would be to bypass the lift pump manifold altogether.  If that is done, do we connect the two lines on the left of the lift pump to feed the CAPS pump and leave the line on the right as the return for the CAPS pump? Our CAPS pump is located behind tons of stuff.  Did you remove anything to get to the lines feeding the CAPS pump? Is there only one line to be connected to the CAPS pump?  Was not able to figure out lines back at the fuel tank yet, decided to rainy and miserable today!!!!!! God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

After some critical thinking, realized that if I connect the two lines on the left of the lift pump to feed the CAPS pump.  The CAPS pump is done!  If my thinking is off base, please let me know.  Sometimes there are smarter hammers in the bag than I.  Do you know what size plugs needed for the lift pump?  Praise the Lord, Just spent some time on the phone with Tim-AZ.  He was so kind as to take the time and call to answer the quesitons I had.  With the invaluable help from Tim and JIm we should be able to finish installing the Fass system tomorrow, barring another rain storm.   God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Here is a good schematic of the fuel system that was posted on IRV2, I downloaded it while I was getting ready to do my FASS install.

I was able to trace my lines starting at the Primary filter, which was located at the front of the engine (pulley end) on the drivers side.  Fuel is pulled from the fuel tank through the primary filter, goes through the transfer pump, and then to the secondary filter and finally to the CAPS pump.

You are right, the two lines on the left of your picture are the ones you want to connect together.  Use a 10AN union to connect the lines and 10AN caps to cap the transfer pump.  I was able to all that from below, somehow I was able to get my body in a sitting position and reach the lines, not easy but I got it done. 

I initially left the primary filter in place and hooked up since I didn't have to the real estate but eventually removed to add a secondary transmission cooler, just put a union in the two lines.  

1 FASS TS PUMP - CUMMINS ISC - Fuel Diagram (KEEP).jpg

1 FASS TS PUMP - CUMMINS ISC - Fuel Diagram (KEEP).pdf

1 hour ago, We2dynasty said:

After some critical thinking, realized that if I connect the two lines on the left of the lift pump to feed the CAPS pump.  The CAPS pump is done!  If my thinking is off base, please let me know.  Sometimes there are smarter hammers in the bag than I.  Do you know what size plugs needed for the lift pump?  Praise the Lord, Just spent some time on the phone with Tim-AZ.  He was so kind as to take the time and call to answer the quesitons I had.  With the invaluable help from Tim and JIm we should be able to finish installing the Fass system tomorrow, barring another rain storm.   God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Ed I had the direction of fuel flow backwards bit sense you are bypassing the stock lift pump it does not matter. You are just connecting the lines together. The plugs/caps are #10.

Tim

A big thank you to both Jim and Tim.  Using Jim's (air test) we were able to determine what lines went where.  Looking at the passenger side of the tank, the left line is the return line from the CAPS system.  So far so good.  The line in the middle is the vent.  So far so good.  Now for the kicker.  The suction line for fuel to the CAPS system is the left line on the drivers side of the fuel tank, which is a bear to access.  Thinking of moving the propane tank out of the way and cutting a hole in the plywood between the propane bay and the fuel tank bay in order to access the fitting.  Was able to remove the fitting, using a wrench to test.  Still determined to mount the pump in the propane bay.  Again, thank both of you for all your help and advise.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

thumbnail-2 copy 47.jpeg

thumbnail-1 copy 76.jpeg

thumbnail-1 copy 75.jpeg

FYI >>> before I even started removing lines I took the time to pressure wash the top of the fuel tank and connections.  Didn't get all the dirt/grim off but it helped a lot.

If  you have to do some cosmetic surgery on the partition between the propane and fuel tank it would probably be worth it.  Too bad you didn't have a "small" friend who could provide assistance.  I was lucky as my drivers side area was about as accessible as the passenger side.  I'm surprised you don't have enough access to work on it even if you work blind.  Just a matter of being able to reach in there with a wrench to loosen the fitting.  Either way you've got to get it done. 

It is amazing how much these coaches are different. 

Quick question…

I noticed on the pdf (above) from FASS they show the fuel flow going from the FASS pump to the lift pump then to filter #3.

All the posts I can remember talk about bypassing the lift pump (with a Union on the hoses & caps on the lift pump).

Is everyone bypassing the lift pump because they like to leak? And it’s really not necessary to bypass them - but it is a good idea???

Thanks

In my case I mounted the FASS pump in the back because of a few reasons. I by-passed the lift pump because I didn't want to pull the fuel through it. My lift pump was not leaking. I lost my caps pump in Nov and didn't want to do that again. $$$

Tim