Evaporator for Dash AC 2008 Camelot 42PDQ

We have repaired every freon leak that we can spot:  Condensor, Air Dryer, Compressor  - - Still losing freon.    Cools like a bandit after you charge it, but 2 weeks later no Joy.   Since we can find NO evidence of leak (yet unit fails the vacuum test) we went after the only place we cant see.   Low & Behold the Evaporator box has dye stains all pooled up at the bottom.     I will call REV group tomorrow and try to get the part number from them.   UNLESS of COURSE..... Somebody here has done the dirty deed and has access to the part number.   I would much rather order an aftermarket unit if there is one.....

10 Boomer.....your evaporator is the problem too?  Wow.   I bought this Coach 2 years ago KNOWING that the dash air was problematic.  The original owner had taken it to the AC repair shop 3 times - - each time they would tell him that they couldn't find the leak but of course charging the system solved the problem.   He explained that after the third trip and $270 charge he gave up.      ME?  I am much more hard headed than that.   First we replaced all the O rings, then two schrader valves.   We found a slight leak in the condensor and replaced it.   Thought we had it until I noticed a die stain at one of the lines coming off the compressor.  Replaced that line and fitting, THOUGHT we had it again.....   Wellllll....   This time my mobile ac repair guy, rolled it into his shop and hooked it up to the sho-nuff monster non portable machine.  That machine flunked it on the vacuum test.  Portable machine kept passing it.    This led us to the only thing we havent seen.....the evaporator.   Open up the box, put on the funky goggles and grab the black light.....   looks like a murder scene in there.     I sure hope this gets it.   Really love the coach, but cant drive HOT.

The 2008 Camelot came with SCS air conditioning. They became Victory Climate Systems, and now Comfort Air is servicing both.

When my tag peeled off my evaporator I saved it. This gives the evaporator plenum number to help with your search. 

They are very proud of their parts. A round Coyote dash vent sells on their site for $40, whereas I buy them from another seller for $10.  When the don’t hold position, I replace them.  But, if they have the correct evaporator, you are in business.

https://www.comfortairgr.com/product-category/scs-victory-climate-systems/evaporator-coils-victory-scs-vcs-parts/

E5E7C7CF-161F-4005-A3F9-EF6B296E6ED8.jpeg

The 2008 Camelot came with SCS air conditioning. They became Victory Climate Systems, and now Comfort Air is servicing both.

When my tag peeled off my evaporator I saved it. This gives the evaporator plenum number to help with your search. 

They are very proud of their parts. A round Coyote dash vent sells on their site for $40, whereas I buy them from another seller for $10.  When the don’t hold position, I replace them.  But, if they have the correct evaporator, you are in business.

https://www.comfortairgr.com/product-category/scs-victory-climate-systems/evaporator-coils-victory-scs-vcs-parts/

A/C  can be tricky to diagnose, however with the advent of new tools i have found it doesnt have to be that way. Using dye is a big help, but for me my best tool is a cheap little borescope, i cant begin to tell you how many evaporators i sold using that. I would drill a small little hole in the case then use the the scope and snoop around to spot for leaks, after i was done just cover the hole with dum dum. The other is a hand held thermal imager, it helps spot restrictions plus so much more. Most techs did not like dealing with A/C cause many just didnt understand it, that wasnt me, summer was when i made the most $$$ cause the other techs would bail on the job after about the 2nd or 3rd come back of refilling the system, then turn it over to me. One more thing every A/C system leaks due to hoses or seals, an over a period of time that catches up with most vehicles, so what i would do for my regular customers is to offer them a drain an refill so every year there system was at its fullest, i would reclaim there freon, record the amount, then fill back to spec, i would only charge them the difference from what i recovered to what i put back in, plus that way i would know if they were in the early stages of a problem. Its funny how my customers that understood that were all fleet companys, the people i couldnt sell that plan to was the cash customer, there favorite line was “no thanks, my ac is blowing cold”. Sound familure?
With the amount of hoses an seals on the average mh this would be a major cost savings. Sorry to be prattling on, im just enjoying my morning coffee😎 ya all stay cool😳

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis

Those evaporators are pretty hard to get to, but when we had our 99 Endeavour I chased a refrigerant leak until I removed the cover for the evaporator and heater core. sure enough there the leak was, a tiny pin hole in one of the joints had finally become a leak.  I figured my chances of repairing it was slim but decided to give it a try.        I did get the leak stopped using an acetelene rig and silver solder it was not pretty but actually worked.  I felt like I couldn't use the heat necessay to make the repair metal flow together.   I was using what I had on hand but if I did it again I would use a silver bearing solder that is strong but melts at a much lower temp.

Here's the solder I'm talking about..https://www.amazon.com/STA-BRITE-Silver-Solder-STAR2000-Stay-Brite/dp/B0015H6JYS/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=1331509937716977&hvadid=83219565530071&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=77028&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83220289701766%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=1638_10498623&keywords=silver+bearing+solder&qid=1653581549&s=industrial&sr=1-5