Jump to content

Carefree of Colorado slide awning hold down strap replacements


Recommended Posts

Has anyone had to replace the hold down straps for the window shade feature on the slide out awnings? 

I am looking for some instructions and I have looked at the Carefree website and my best guess is that the awnings I have are of the obsolete kind and I can not find service instructions anywhere.

I might start from the beginning, I bought this 2002 Diplomat coach from the original owner who used it to go from point A to point B and it was garaged at both ends. That being said he never used the pull down window shade feature on the slides, but the ends of the straps were always exposed and just kind of fell apart when I first tried to use them. 

I have to replace the two hold down straps and need to know which end sprocket to remove to accomplish this. I am sure at least one end is attached to the spring and that is the end I want to avoid taking loose. I do have the replacement straps.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Cliff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you can get the hold down straps on amazon measure the ones you take off and there is a notch in the track that you remove the old and slide in the new should be a screw that keeps it in place

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Are we talking about just window awnings or are these the Omega I Slide Combo Topper/Awning's?

The slide topper combo

53 minutes ago, gdroberson said:

you can get the hold down straps on amazon measure the ones you take off and there is a notch in the track that you remove the old and slide in the new should be a screw that keeps it in place

I have the new straps, but the end caps have no slot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cliff, typically the spring is in the right end when looking at the roller tube. I always remove the left end to replace the straps, I don't have to deal with the spring at that end. I drill out the two aluminum pop-rivets, take a couple of small screws out and pull the end off just enough to get the old straps off and the new ones slid in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just epoxy a new loop to the end of the old strap where it’s good. If you want to put the new one on… Drill a 5/16” hole in the slot at a angle, near the end so you can push the new plastic end into the slot. Cut the old strap off at the slot and leave what’s left in the slot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Cliff, typically the spring is in the right end when looking at the roller tube. I always remove the left end to replace the straps, I don't have to deal with the spring at that end. I drill out the two aluminum pop-rivets, take a couple of small screws out and pull the end off just enough to get the old straps off and the new ones slid in.

Thanks Richard that’s exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks all for your assistance 

Cliff

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, miacasa_2000 said:

Cliff  you need to make sure which one you have. I have the omega 2 with the s shaped arms and my springs are on the left side.

Roy 

2003 Dynasty

Thanks Roy,

pretty sure mine is omega1 it has the sunbrella fabric on all awnings. We are at camp and I will tackle it this weekend since I have help here.

Cliff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I just epoxy a new loop to the end of the old strap where it’s good. If you want to put the new one on… Drill a 5/16” hole in the slot at a angle, near the end so you can push the new plastic end into the slot. Cut the old strap off at the slot and leave what’s left in the slot.

On a previous coach I fixed mine by drilling a hole just like Dick suggests and sliding the new strap in. Very easy way to do it. I bought slightly longer straps so the awning would not block the view or of the window. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had this problem while on the road for 2 months. I took my dremel tool and just widened the slot for about 1" on 1 end. That allowed me to slip the strap end in and slide it to center.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, miacasa_2000 said:

Cliff, you need to make sure which one you have. I have the omega 2 with the s shaped arms and my springs are on the left side.

Both Omega I & Omega II used the same S-shape Question Mark type arms so that is not the determining factor on how to tell the difference.  Even the springs will work in both I & II, just depends on which end you install the spring paying attention to its wind, clockwise or counterclockwise.

The biggest difference is the awning protective cover PLUS the center strap is threaded through the protective cover.

https://tinyurl.com/yyjnpa24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just use a drill and a 5/32 to 3/16 drill bit and drill into the grove on the roll tube and then tilt the drill sideways and make a angled hole the new strap slides into. You could use a round head screw to fill the hole, but I never have as the strap will stay in the grove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KenAVTech said:

I just use a drill and a 5/32 to 3/16 drill bit and drill into the grove on the roll tube and then tilt the drill sideways and make a angled hole the new strap slides into. You could use a round head screw to fill the hole, but I never have as the strap will stay in the grove.

I did just that, works fine. Thanks

Cliff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...