Alladin displaying discharge for house batteries.

Brian J

Hello, this will be my first post on here. Have read many posts and many of my issues remedied or mind put to rest.

I have a 05 Dynasty 40' ISL 400.

My current issue is the Alladin display is showing up to 15 amp discharge. I have Xantrex RV 1202 M inverter that appears to be functioning properly. 

I replaced the Big Boy battery isolator relay. 

House batteries - I have four 6 volt Interstate flooded lead acid batteries in Series-Parallel = 12 volts. Replaced a year ago.

Chassis batteries - two 12 volt batteries in Parallel. Replaced a year ago.

I measure DC voltage at the house batteries of ~14.5 volts when on shore power. When shore power is disconnected volts at house batteries is ~13.5 volts.

Alladin display goes up to 21 amp discharge. 

Everything is off so I should only have parasitic discharge.

This issue is new, my Alladin in the past always read ~3 amp charge when on shore power or genset.

I dont boondock so I have never really used many amp hours out of the batteries.

When on shore power my xantrex DC amp meter reads 14 amp charging. My Aladdin reads 9 amp discharge.

Something about this does not seem correct.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Brian

Those amps are going somewhere.

Does it still show a load if you turn off the inverter?  If so, start turning off breakers.  If not, start pulling fuses. 

Turn off the main disconnect switches (chassis and coach) to see if the load disappears.

This is just a start. 

Good luck,

- bob

I have turned off all the breakers with no change, I've started pulling fuses. I am going to try and verify actual amps being discharged.

I've never had any issues until this, I have help coming in AM. My father in law has extensive electronics training and experience.

With AC disconnected, both battery banks SWITCHED off, inverter off.

Both house and Chassis batteries verified with amp meter...zero amps.

I still have an 11 amp discharge reading on the Alladin monitor.

What am I missing?

Brian

Thanks for the offer Jeff, I have the wiring schematics.

Brian

On 6/10/2022 at 5:31 PM, Brian J said:

I measure DC voltage at the house batteries of ~14.5 volts when on shore power. When shore power is disconnected volts at house batteries is ~13.5 volts.

Brian

14.5 VDC when on shore power is 1 volt TOO high. The batteries should read about 13.4 -13.5 if they are fully charged in Float State of Charge (SOC). When disconnected from shore and the batteries are in a rested state, they should read about 12.5 or so.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) (marxrv.com)

Edited by Dr4Film

Fixed!! Cleaned ground cable on house batteries where is goes through firewall, both sides, removed all connectors from Big Boy circuit board  cleaned the ones I could, pushed and pulled connectors apart a couple of times.

Turned everything back on, reading +3 charge.

I should have specified that 14.5 volt reading was while Bulk charging.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks all for the help.

I put 2 new AC units, an motor water pump and exhaust manifold gasket in less time.

Brian

Also I ordered a new Xantrex inverter/charger Xantrex 81-2010-12 Inv/Chgr, Free-458 2000W 12V 100A M-Sine and remote in anticipation mine was bad. The existing installed inverter Xantrex RV 2012 from 2004 build.

What are thoughts on replacing it as preventative maintenance?

Edited by Brian J