Starlink RV

I will be eagerly following this thread. I almost pulled the trigger on StarLink RV a couple of days ago, but changed my mind. It only pencils out for us if we can replace our current cable Internet provider, and that can't happen with the reduced priority service of the RV model. I think I will have to wait a year or two for the Residential and add portability.

I'll be very interested in your experience.

Another thought: If you already have StarLink at home why would you not just add the Portability function instead of a whole new service/equipment?

57 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

I will be eagerly following this thread. I almost pulled the trigger on StarLink RV a couple of days ago, but changed my mind. It only pencils out for us if we can replace our current cable Internet provider, and that can't happen with the reduced priority service of the RV model. I think I will have to wait a year or two for the Residential and add portability.

I'll be very interested in your experience.

Another thought: If you already have StarLink at home why would you not just add the Portability function instead of a whole new service/equipment?

Home is also our Business at the moment. I need internet here for access for clients to our dog park, and cameras, sprinklers, etc. 

It has to stay here 

F76092CD-AAFB-4B7F-80E4-CA1DFFD63055.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow

17 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

OK, got it. Thanks for the explanation.

No worries. I can make things more complicated than they need to be.

We are a bit remote, Centruy link offered us 1 MBPS for the low rate of $75 a month. We were like wow, pass

Edited by JDCrow

I have it and gotta say “I LOVE IT!”

Currently we are in the mountains where there is no cell signal - nada.(and so this message went over Starlink).

But with Starlink our phones work and we both are remote working. 

For mounting- I got a 1x2 about 4’ long attached the Starlink to the board with two legs -opposite ends of the “X”.  Then I attach the 1x2 to my solar mounts - so it doesn’t blow over. I have a spot on the front of my rig and a spot on the back - depending on the trees and  the sky.

I remove it for travel - for travel it goes in the front tv box - very nicely. 

I will post pictures later. 

you will need to secure it somehow - when I was testing it - one windy day it blew over. 

I got my Starlink home setup about two months ago and it works great. In the mean time I finally got my T-mobile home internet working properly so today I finished my installation on the motorhome and I'll be trying it out soon. The advantage to to the RV system is being able to stop and start service as needed. I can't do that with the residential system.

I used a telescoping flag pole and attached it to the ladder. I can have the dish just above the ladder or I can raise it an extra 6 feet or so. The bedroom slide is very close so I run the cable out trough the slide seal. It works great here at the house but I can't wait to try it somewhere that has no other service.

Guest Ray Davis
5 hours ago, Old Dog said:

Details on install, performance and photos please. So so tired of the other, less then options.

Thx

Me too,  I like this stuff, but I don't know much about it, so explaining things for techno challanged guys like me will be much appreciated.   👍

Here's the dish mount. I had the telescoping flagpole already. The bottom section broke but after cutting off the bade piece it was still plenty long enough for this purpose. I had to make a shim to put in the top end in order to get a snug fit on the dish pipe. You can see the cable goes into the bedroom slide.

Inside at the other end of the cable is the Starlink router and it plugs into a 120v outlet. That's it for the equipment! However, if you have anything that needs an ethernet port, you need to order the ethernet adapter from Starlink for an additional $20. There is no ethernet port on the Gen II Starlink router. Without the ethernet adapter the Starlink router just puts out a strong Wifi signal.

For the time being I'm just going to leave my router in the bedroom. I'm need to do some maintenance on the roof this summer and when I'm finished I might run the cable down the roof so I can put the router in my electronics compartment up front.

And finally the speed test. Your results may vary as do mine. While I've been using the system at home my speeds have ranged from 40 Mbps to 250 Mbps. Typically they are around 100 Mbps though. This morning I backed out the motorhome, installed the dish and plug it in. I waited about 15 minutes for it to get aligned and then I did the test that you can see below. Whether it will be much slower when I'm in roaming mode I don't know. I can fill you in later.

PXL_20220615_161946738.jpg

PXL_20220615_161756554.jpg

Screenshot_20220615-094535.png

• Like 1

Have had Starlink since the end of February, roaming then portability. Drilled 2 3/8 holes in the hinged dog house cover in the closet to pass the cords through. The router sets on the floor behind the right side wooden closet doors. Believe it or not there is enough metal in the mirrors to degrade the 2.4 and 5 GHz. Plugged the router into the block heater plug and cut around 55 ft out of the Starlink cable and put rj45s on the cable and used a coupler mounted to the RRB.  The cable just drops into the opening at the top of the pantograph engine cover. Store the unit in a carry on bag size suitcase with all the original plastic on the back seat of the Jeep. The router never moves. Made an extension cord out of the 55 ft if ever needed. I used the ladder mount system from Flagpole Buddy. 

Back.jpg

Edited by Bob Blackmon

1 minute ago, Bob Blackmon said:

Have had Starlink since the end of February, roaming then portability. Drilled 2 3/8 holes in the hinged dog house cover in the closet to pass the cords through. The router sets on the floor behind the right side wooden closet doors. Believe it or not there is enough metal in the mirrors to degrade the 2.4 and 5 GHz. Plugged the router into the block heater plug and cut around 55 ft out of the Starlink cable and put rj45s on the cable and used a coupler mounted to the RRB.  The cable just drops into the opening at the top of the pantograph engine cover. Store the unit in a carry on bag size suitcase with all the original plastic on the back seat of the Jeep. Made an extension cord out of the 55 ft if ever needed. I used the ladder mount system from Flagpole Buddy. 

Back.jpg

Nice set up! I will do something similar 

Hear is an average speed for our home base Starlink. Will be curious to compare to the summer location where the MH is set up. 

B2F2EB15-4E5F-460D-B700-F143BB2C5782.png

11 minutes ago, BigNick said:

Huh!!! Interesting, why go with starlink vs a mobile booster? Sorry to be ignorant fellas, I'm trying to weigh out pro and cons.. 

We travel where there is no Cell service. Right now, where our Coach is parked, there is no Verizon, ATT, T-mobile, or US Cell, data. I’ve tried them all, the coverage maps are full of alternative facts. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

What all does starlink do?  Is it competitive?   We comp in Colo mtns where we have no at&t sevice, some can get verizon by finding a sweet spot, only tv is satellite.

10 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

What all does starlink do?  Is it competitive?   We comp in Colo mtns where we have no at&t sevice, some can get verizon by finding a sweet spot, only tv is satellite.

Well, in a nut shell, it’s satellite internet service, fast, and covers a good part of the globe, and now is mobile.

$600 for equipment, you own it. It’s  $135 a month, but you can suspend/renew anytime with no penalties or turn on/off fees.  

You can stream TV, surf net, make video calls or zoom meetings. 

We have Discovery * steaming (no commercials). Also allows us to access our iTunes purchased movies and watch anytime. Just bought Magnum PI episodes 

If you have iOS (apple) you can FaceTime, WiFi call and iMessage, all without cell service 

hope that helps  

Edited by JDCrow
  • Like 1