Charge profiles

saflyer

Do flooded lead acid batteries and AGM and gel batteries all have the same or different charge profiles? Should all of them periodically go through a desulfination cycle?

Ed             
‘05 HR Ambassador

Yes, different battery designs have slightly different charge profiles.  A 2005 model coach will have a Trace Freedom inverter.  2006 and newer have the Magnum energy inverter.  You can read the manual on the different charge profiles provided.  

Using a desulfation profile can be controversial.  Most of these cycles actually over charge the battery causing the acid to boil.  If water is not added afterward the fluid level will drop below the plates and cause more harm.  

If you keep your batteries charged than a desulfation cycle is not needed. 

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-804b-sulfation-and-how-to-prevent-it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vito.a said:

Yes, different battery designs have slightly different charge profiles.  A 2005 model coach will have a Trace Freedom inverter.  2006 and newer have the Magnum energy inverter.  You can read the manual on the different charge profiles provided.  

Using a desulfation profile can be controversial.  Most of these cycles actually over charge the battery causing the acid to boil.  If water is not added afterward the fluid level will drop below the plates and cause more harm.  

If you keep your batteries charged than a desulfation cycle is not needed. 

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-804b-sulfation-and-how-to-prevent-it

Thanks for the information. I thought they were different profiles but didn’t know by how much. I have a Cricket cart we take along when RVing. Might need to replace the current sealed lead acid ones. The manufacturer says the charger can do all battery types including lithium but there is no way to select the type. Makes me wonder is I need to stick with the SLAs.

6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

If you want to keep the batteries from sulfating, I would strongly suggest purchasing a 12 VDC PowerPulse for your House Battereis.

PP-12-L PowerPulse 12-Volt Battery Maintenance System (pulsetech.net)

That is an interesting product. I am going to buy one. I know de-sulphating works because as an experiment I restored a nearly dead bike battery. Only problem was it took a month with the small 6 amp charger I was using.