RV Fridge Fires Still in The News

Dr4Film

Guest Ray Davis

When fires were a hot topic on this forum ( pun intended ) it was almost entirely centered around Norcold fridges.                                                   

Norcolds seemed to be going up in flames everywhere.                                                                                                                                                     

However Norcold may have been the brand used by most coach builders at the time,  I don't know that to be the case though.                                   

The cause for those fires were generally reported to be elect,  specifically the elect heat element and the wires coming out of those elements.   

When we bought our 03 Windsor the first thing we did was replace our Norcold wit a Samsung.  To use a well worn phrase " it's the best mod we have made "                     

Edited by Ray Davis

For four years I was looking for a specific coach.  I knew what I wanted and had a list  of items to be included and of course the Norcold  was on it. 

I've worked with insurance companies in fire restoration and I saw a lot of beautiful coaches completely destroyed from the refrigerator. None of them were worth restoring.   I just recently purchased a Monaco Dynasty and was disappointed that the Norcold was removed and a Samsung refrigerator was installed. But the more disasters that I have seen from this problem I am thankful for the change out.  I can boondock quite nicely with the six solar panels on the roof and sleep soundly.

• Like 1

I clicked on the link to another RV forum, it seems the original post was created by Fridge defend to promote their product.

This is an important distinction to note when reading personal stories of loss bolstered by a vendor selling a product. This is the first time I have heard of a "fridge fires" trend and I have been using this RV technology for many many years, in some cases a fridge that was in a 1980's RV still running great. I personally cannot understand the logic of swapping a fridge for a 120 volt only option, losing the ability to run off propane/12V. 

59 minutes ago, Deepseated said:

I clicked on the link to another RV forum, it seems the original post was created by Fridge defend to promote their product.

This is an important distinction to note when reading personal stories of loss bolstered by a vendor selling a product. This is the first time I have heard of a "fridge fires" trend and I have been using this RV technology for many many years, in some cases a fridge that was in a 1980's RV still running great. I personally cannot understand the logic of swapping a fridge for a 120 volt only option, losing the ability to run off propane/12V. 

I saw this post IRV2 and saw it was a vendor who posted it, mostly selling their product.  

The logic for me to replace my Norcold was that it never really did cool well, I had to keep remote temp sensors in the fridge and freezer and when the fridge would get to warm move freezer blocks to cool it down.  No telling how much spoiled food we threw away.  Then when it finally died from a leak (no fire) I unplugged it

So I installed the Samsung and it hasn't changed my ability to boondock, maybe have to run the generator a little more but not much. 

2 hours ago, Deepseated said:

You must have missed reading the thread/post which was posted in the same iRV2.com thread that I have linked below in regard to building a low-cost replica of the Fridge Defend unit. There are choices out there for RV owners. We as owners also have to make choices whether to believe or not believe. Personally, after 9 years of hell with the 4 door NotSoCold and losing thousands of dollars of wasted band-aids, spoiled food and hundreds of hours of my time, then followed with 10 years with a Samsung residential fridge that has worked flawlessly and continues to work without problems, it is a no-brainer for me.

The takeaway is that thankfully we have the luxury of making our OWN choices.

Inexpensive Refrigerator Fire Prevention - iRV2 Forums

• Like 2

Been meaning to write about the refrig cooling unit I replaced in my old MH.
I got an Amish made cooling unit to replace the one I had and after replacing it, I stripped the old cooling unit of foam to recycle the steel. I decided to drill a small hole in the unit to remove the pressure and liquid in it.
Boy was I surprised. there IS high pressure gas in it which I assume is hydrogen.
The cooling unit was 8 feet from the MH and it sprayed yellow over an estimated area of 16 square f

Now, I see why motorhomes are burning up.
If I had known this, I would have got a Helium gas cooling unit.

Skip H
96 Monaco