Upgraded Tail Light Assembly

BradHend

I upgraded all my tail lights in the Cayman to LED, and while they are brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs, Im still longing for a nicer looking and even brighter setup.  Saw a few newer rigs rolling through town the other day and I could see their lights clear across the city.  Quite impressive really.  
I’ve searched fairly extensively on the internet and have come up with nothing - Aside from some ridiculously priced see-through ones of the exact same stock setup, and they still use the same sockets.  
Has anyone seen a solution to replace the stock 2-piece light assembly to something that is fully LED, preferably one piece and looks nice?
I can’t believe how wasteful they made these lights in the first place by stacking them identical and only using what would work. Bugs me.  Any input appreciated.  
I’ve contemplated adding the large, round LED truck lights into the side walls of the rig somehow, just not sure what would make it aesthetically pleasing.  Also thought about making something up myself to replace the stock setup.  
Thanks in advance,

Brad. 

image.jpg

So I have the same light set up on my Dip. I bought some lenses off eBay and upgraded to LED bulbs. They worked great, until the lenses broke. 

I’m going to upgrade, again, to a built in LED. I’ll have to wire so the two halve work as 1 unit. He’s what I have, and what I’m replacing it with  and a video of same brand, different company

https://goodspeedusa.com/product/pair-sequential-led-tail-lights-w-trim-for-1973-1987-chevrolet-gmc-pickup-truck/

B3A5B9F3-DE52-4ECE-AD82-AF14871C3115.jpeg

8D1C3D0B-B77C-4411-8347-10571AB1C6AE.jpeg

5937EDD0-B5AB-4CBF-88C7-A9737878CCF9.jpeg

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

So I have the same light set up on my Dip. I bought some lenses off eBay and upgraded to LED bulbs. They worked great, until the lenses broke. 

I’m going to upgrade, again, to a built in LED. I’ll have to wire so the two halve work as 1 unit. He’s what I have, and what I’m replacing it with  and a video of same brand, different company

https://goodspeedusa.com/product/pair-sequential-led-tail-lights-w-trim-for-1973-1987-chevrolet-gmc-pickup-truck/

I’ve thinking about upgrading to these as well. I haven’t seen anything better so far. 

8 hours ago, RIPPPA said:

I’ve thinking about upgrading to these as well. I haven’t seen anything better so far. 

Amazon sells the DEPO brand of aftermarket lights.  Those are what a lot of collision shops and also “dealer” service shops are using.  My GS’s Maxima was bought used at a very reputable Chevy dealership as it was a trade in.  I notice a crack in the left TL and they replaced it prior to the sale.  Found the other TL had a “bulb” out and did not work a few days later.  Turned out to be a hybrid with bulbs and LED….so they replaced it and he had new on both.  He recently backed into a post.  I ordered a new light from Amazon.  It was a DEPO.  Pulled out the one he damaged and, Bingo, a DEPO.  Quality looked great.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Amazon sells the DEPO brand of aftermarket lights.  Those are what a lot of collision shops and also “dealer” service shops are using.  My GS’s Maxima was bought used at a very reputable Chevy dealership as it was a trade in.  I notice a crack in the left TL and they replaced it prior to the sale.  Found the other TL had a “bulb” out and did not work a few days later.  Turned out to be a hybrid with bulbs and LED….so they replaced it and he had new on both.  He recently backed into a post.  I ordered a new light from Amazon.  It was a DEPO.  Pulled out the one he damaged and, Bingo, a DEPO.  Quality looked great.

I've used both DEPO and TYC headlights in my wife's car, (she keeps going deer hunting)😡, with good results from both.
DEPO may be a little better quality, but both seemed to do the job.

I upgraded twice first to the clear lens and led bulbs. The lenses filled with road dirt after a few thousand miles. The old sockets were a constant problem with intermittent connectivity. 

Next I purchased the LED taillights but this time I cut out the sockets and used marine style waterproof but connectors. Using a heat gun the solder and shrink wrap at the same time. 

be careful not to over tighten they mount directly to the fiberglass and you cannot use the supplied brackets.

also used eternabond tap on the inside to seal the opening from road debris 

no more intermittent connectivity !

63374558-455A-46E5-964C-8B0A6AA0AD9B.jpeg

59A4CC66-3C3B-4E70-A886-70556C900736.jpeg

Edited by Wheelsnkeels
Update

On 7/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, JDCrow said:

We have these but with the carbon fiber effect. I had to trim some of the fiberglass to make them fit. They’re okay, but they don’t make me say, “Wow!” and they do get dirt around the housings.

3F9971F7-9E37-4A62-8399-7DC8AD11F523.jpeg

On 7/11/2022 at 12:48 AM, FLynes said:

We have these but with the carbon fiber effect. I had to trim some of the fiberglass to make them fit. They’re okay, but they don’t make me say, “Wow!” and they do get dirt around the housings.

3F9971F7-9E37-4A62-8399-7DC8AD11F523.jpeg

EEK! Very nice... But at $400 they really need to give me a lot of Wow, WOW, WOWWW!!

Edited by wamcneil

1 hour ago, wamcneil said:

EEK! Very nice... But at $400 they really need to give me a lot of Wow, WOW, WOWWW!!

I didn't pay anywhere near $400....total out the door was $149.90. I bought them from 2KRacing.com

Edited by FLynes

20 minutes ago, wamcneil said:

Ah. That link in the 2nd post has them for $214 per pair...

Yeah, that link is different from the style I have. There’s cheaper places to get the ones posted in that second post, since every penny counts in this economy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284107604459