Generator slide out

I would suspect either air in the lines or cylinder piston leak or valve leak. Check fluid level too. No different from a slideout doing the same thing. I would cycle it few times and hold the switch for a while after it reaches its stops to clean the seats and air and see if the problem remains before getting myself dirty.

3 minutes ago, richmelcole@sbcglobal.net said:

I haven't check hydraulic fluid in a long time.  Should I check when slide is in or out?  If low what type of fluid does it take?  Rich

People always say with slide in but in reality, it does not even matter with 2 way rams, they are normally full of fluid at both sides of the piston, unlike one way leveling jacks with spring return. If you have those sharing the same reservoir, then retract them. I do whatever gives me better access, no jacks on ours. As for fluid, if it is red, it's ATF. Cheap Dexron III will do.

I own a 2002 Windsor and have had intermittent problem with my generator slide over the years.  Mine is a Power Gear, attached is the parts page for the generator slide.

Also attached is the manual and the slide lock valve.

There could be a couple causes for this, the hydrualic cylinder itself could be letting the slide move by letting hydraulic fluid bypass, a leaking fitting or hose, but probably the likely culprit is the slide lock valve isn't seating tightly and letting the slide move. 

What I have had to do several times is remove the valve block mounted on the hydraulic cylinder, clean, and install.  If you have time it might pay to drain all the oil, remove the cylinder, take it apart and clean.  Put new oil in.  It doesn't take much contamination for the lock valve to not work correctly.  I had to replace my lock valve back ~10 years ago. 

1 Generator Slideout Info.pdf Power Gear Generator Slide Manual 82-S0298-00.pdf Generator Slide Lock Valve.pdf

• Thanks 1

Make sure the t handle screws on the valve are not loose,one is for slide to come out manually and one for pushing it back in manually,  I know this procedure well because I have to get around to pulling my valve out and cleaning it,it will not extend or retract.

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

4 hours ago, WayneC said:

Make sure the t handle screws on the valve are not loose,one is for slide to come out manually and one for pushing it back in manually,  I know this procedure well because I have to get around to pulling my valve out and cleaning it,it will not extend or retract.

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

This type of slide control is separate from the slideout pump & valves.  It's got it's own motor/pump. 

One thing you can try is that when you bring you slide in hold the button down for a little while, this may clean out any debris (if that's the problem) and help seat the lock valve.  I started doing that a while back and my intermittent problems have reduces quite a bit.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, Rick A said:

Haha mine is 2005 on rails it just rolls out. 

Sounds like mine.  I have a chain with a turnbuckle underneath going around the slide rail and frame rail.  One slide latch works sometimes.  I do not trust the slide out latches and thus the chain, one less of many problems.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue thinking it was the valve block but turned out to be hardened and failed seals in the hydraulic cylinder.  I pulled our cylinder, replaced the seals and afterwards no more slide creeping out.  Very solid now.   After repairing it, when pulling it in the slide it is so tight the motor sounds like it stalls; whereas before hydraulic fluid would continue to blow by the bad seals and the motor would just slow down.  I think the seals were less than $10 sourced at a hydraulic service company.  I can find the invoice with more info if you need it but I would recommend taking your cylinder to a shop that sells seals to ensure fit as they may have used various suppliers when our coaches were built.  Most difficult part was getting the rear bolt out that holds that end of the ram - I had to cut it, soak with PB Blaster and punch it out as it was firmly rusted into the frame bushing. 

Edited by Tony G
typos galore

My cylinder is held in with a pin/cotter key in the rear, pretty easy to take out.

You could test the cylinder by extending it all the way out and loosening the fitting that is for the retract, then try to extend the cylinder again and if hydraulic oil comes out the piston seals are bypassing. 

31 minutes ago, Jdw12345 said:

Some what of a side track, but now that Mercon III is no longer available, what is everyone using for replacement hydraulic fluid for generator and slide out system. I need to change my fluid!

Thanks 

This is from the generator slide manual 

"This system uses Type “A” Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dextron III, etc.)"

This is still readily available I believe!

• Thanks 1