Fan-Tastic fan screw pattern dimensions

Guest KenAVTech

Guest KenAVTech

Here’s a off the wall question about Fantastic roof vent fans!

What are the dimensions between screws and across the opening side to side on the rv roof?

I have questioned Dometic, but no answer.

Yes I could get up there and measure but they have sealant over the heads and Id like an accurate measurement.

I have a 2003 monaco camelot 34 Pst. Not that this is vehicle specific.

Im not replacing them, just curious as I found a deal on Maxxair shroud covers and have Fantastic fans. the Maxxair 4- L brackets mounts to a metal fan base with 1 side screw screwed into the metal side and Fantastic have 4-Flat brackets that requires removal of a base mount screw and then resealed. I prefer the Fantasic/Dometic mount. But the 2 Maxxair covers are new and free!

The dimensions will help me determine if the Fantastic flat brackets  will accommodate a Maxxair fan cover

This is NOT the crank up cover its the large white plastic cover that goes over the entire vent top thats closed in the front from wind but open in the back. 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, vito.a said:

I've installed several of the fan vent covers.  The cover bracket screws go into the fan housing horizontally so it doesn't matter what the pattern is.  

I put three of these covers on while in florida during the winter and they didn't screw to the curb. Remove 4 screws in the roof and mount brackets.

Amazon.com: Fan-Tastic Vent U1500BL Ultra Breeze Vent Cover - Black : Automotive

ULTRA BREEZE INSTALL MANUAL 1_23_12.pub (media-amazon.com)

Your a couple of weeks too late as I just had a fan / cover off, for re-sealing.

My Maxxair covers are hinged on one side, and each bracket has screws going into the side of the fan, and, screws going thru the roof.

https://epi.dometic.com/externalassets/dometic-fantastic-vent-7350_9108870595_78799.pdf

The cut out dimensions are 14 X 14 which is the standard, apparently for a roof vent.  MEMORY says that the flanges on the covers are maybe 15 - 16".  I have actually put on three as FF had bad run of gaskets and sent me all new covers.

Best I can do... Good Luck

Guest KenAVTech

I appreciate all the inputs, but Im wanting the measurements of screw hole to screw hole.

The dimensions will help me determine if the Fantastic flat brackets  will accommodate a Maxxair fan cover

46 minutes ago, KenAVTech said:

I appreciate all the inputs, but Im wanting the measurements of screw hole to screw hole.

Every Maxxair manual I looked at online shows brackets mounting not to base, but to side wit L brackets.

• Like 1

This post is from a Moderator’s viewpoint where we try to provide information from a manual or known instructions from the factory or vendor…. Do NOT take is as a “One mustn’t do that”, only tech info.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/maxx-air-covers-on-fantastic-powered-vents-38274.html

I had also talked, extensively, to FF tech support and they dissuaded me from adding covers.  I have the auto up/down fans and wanted to leave them open.  I then swapped out the control boards for the upgraded rain sensor style.  That solved it for me as they are very sensitive.

Others who have different needs, such as full timing may have vent needs and are using covers and probably know the concerns about total exhaust capacity.

so…this is the other side of the story and each must do, with all the information, what they feel is best or will provide the intended results for them.

• 1 year later...

Wondering if anyone knows about larger roof vent covers that were installed on these coaches around 2005.  The covers that I have installed look like a Max Air II but they are larger in size.  They have two hinged bolts on one side and two pins on the other that have a distance of 20 inches between them.  The centerline of the mounted brackets is 9 inches.  Max Air does not have any covers that match this dimension.

Rev Parts said that these roof vent covers were added on after the owner took possession.  They are covering the Dometic Fan-tastic rain sense vent fans.

I would love to source the original vent covers so I dont have to remove and install a different profile for mounts.

20240530_161622.jpg

20240530_161647.jpg

OK....HERE IS WHAT I KNOW.. MONACO did NOT, to the best of my knowledge or what has been posted over the years on the FANS and WHY I NEED COVERS....any COVER.  ALL OEM FF Hinged Covers....NOW....moving along...

First, assume you have the INTERNAL Fantastic Fans.  There was one basic style back then.  I know because I owned a 2004 Winnie with them and my Camelot has them and I did some upgrades on each MH.

The BASE fans were the same.  There was a AUTO Raise that had a Motor that engaged the fan.  When you turned on the switch, the motor would engage the drive screw and the motor would start to raise the fan cover and when it got about 50% open, there was a microswitch that triggered the fan motor (blades) to come on.

SOME of the fans MAY NOT have had the AUTO RAISE.  SOME DID.

The ONLY OTHER Difference was in the control boards.  SOME have a Rain Sensing device or a small "chip" under the vent cover and you could add that.  I know..  I added it to 5 separate fans....it was a main board swap out.  BUT the base fans were all the same.

IF you have the Fanstastic fan, then you need to call FF and purchase the OEM Hinged Covers.  They will work with the arms and such...but the OEM manual or AUTO arms and/or Drive Motor needs to be functional to work.  Install is not that big a deal....other than removing the old cover(s) and locating where the hinges went.  IF they fans had the OEM Hinged covers, then you MUST (OK...you COULD maybe rotate the entire fan assembly 90 deg... OPPPS BUMMER...the hinge side was to go to the front....otherwise, I THINK one might get blowing rain from a storm or cross wind while driving....so MOUNT THEM LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED to be or WERE at Monaco) find the holes that held the three screws and you MUST use these holes...probably with bigger screws or add two additional one.

The hinged covers were made so the hinge was in the FRONT.  PER FF, all the "aftermarket" covers did was to block the air flow and make them less effective.  The FF covers were supposedly rated to 70 MPH so one COULD haul buggy and leave the covers off.  BUT, that was not with a 20 or so MPH CROSS Winds.  

MY THOUGHTS....as I once TRIED to retract of close one of the FF in a blustery rest stop.  YEP, they may be rated for that...but my AUTO Motor would not lower the fan.  I had to pull the manual knob down or push up and MANUALLY lower the fan.  

3 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I'm with Ivan.

Unlikely your coach left the factory with covers over the vent lids.

Brad,
I believe that this may have been added after it left the factory as we do not show a parts listing for it, nor do we show it on the coach.

Anie Habegger
Customer Service Representative
REV RV Parts

This was sent from Rev,  I never bought the coach brand new so i am just going on what they say...

Just to clarify, I am looking for the vent cover in the first picture.  It looks like a Max Air II.  My Fantastic Fan (and lid cover) is fine and that picture is only there to show the hinged mount dimensions of 20 inch and 9 inch.

Yeah, the covers the original owner installed over my FF's seem to have disappeared from the marketplace as well, so, If any of mine break, I'll be in the same situation as yourself. 

12 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, the covers the original owner installed over my FF's seem to have disappeared from the marketplace as well, so, If any of mine break, I'll be in the same situation as yourself. 

Do you know who made them and what the model name was?  Were they like the ones I have in my pictures?  I have been looking around for them for a replacement...

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I think they were made by Maxx air, and they are a lot different than yours!

https://www.maxxair.com/Products/covers/default.aspx

Ben may have nailed it.  The MaxAir II looks a lot like them.  BE AWARE.  There were a lot of “cottage” industries that made all sorts of items, and just like Amazon….2 - 3 X that number making “knock off’s” or importing.  Don’t know the whole saga age or the history of the MaxAir, but the original has been around for maybe 25 years..or longer.  THEN, most of the mom and pop operations dried up or went belly up during the 2009 “RV RECESSION”….  

I didn’t know there was a “II”….all my casual observations were the ORIGINAL….

The layout is the giveaway on the one you pulled….I’d start there…

So as it turns out I have the original Max Air II.  It is now obsolete.  

Coleman-Mach and Maxxair Brands of Airxcel sells the Max Air II + which is currently on the market and is smaller than the original.  Time to remove the old mounting on the roof and install the new style.

See attached pdf for dimensions.

From Max Air:

I attached a pdf file on the dimensions of the redesign Maxxair 2, the older Maxxair 2 have been obsoleted.

Armando Toledo

Technical Assistance Coordinator

3050 N. St. Francis

Wichita, Kansas 67219

Office: 574.247.9235

Fax: 316.832.3417

www.Airxcel.com

Maxxair 2 +.pdf