Dometic DuoTherm Penguine 5 button thermostat replacement DISCUSSION

CaptPat

Thinking of replacing my 5 button thermostat with a Micro-air unit.  I have 1 thermostat that controls 3 zones, with Ac, Heat Pump and Aqua Hot furnace—all original equipment.  Primarily interested in the BT and WiFi connectivity offered by the Micro-air. I’m interested in hearing of other experiences with this conversion.

thanks

There have been mixed reviews on the Micro-Air.  After you install it check back and let us know what you think?

A thought.  If any of your three A/C units fail you'll need a new generation CCC2 or a different model Micro-Air to to operate the new generation Dometic A/C.  

Despite some recent problems (which I think we've identified) my current thermostat is working fine, so I'm not in a rush to replace it.  Most of what I've seen on line are generally positive reviews of the Micro-air thermostat. I'm hoping someone here has made the conversion and can share what their experience was.  

I'm aware that if an A/C unit requires replacement I'll need a different thermostat.  In that case I'll probably replace all three units at the same time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vito.a said:

There have been mixed reviews on the Micro-Air.  After you install it check back and let us know what you think?

A thought.  If any of your three A/C units fail you'll need a new generation CCC2 or a different model Micro-Air to to operate the new generation Dometic A/C.  

Just the FACTS as Joe Friday said.....FWIW....we have a LOT of folks that have posted on this so do some searching.  HERE is a rambling synopsis....as I went down the path and then passed and there is a lot more history and also many tales of woe.....you can read all day on this by googling....

I called and talked to both Paul and Barry, who are the two support techs at Micro-Air. They were nice. Did not know a lot about the old system. Offered a model number. If your thermostat continues to work, then that is your call. BUT, be aware, it will be a DEAD expense.....It will not, unless I am mistaken, work with the new system. It will not, also work with a Mixed system...and the Dometic still will.  I would do a lot of research on the new, assuming that I was going with Dometic units CCC2 (memory) and as to HOW it will work.  There are a LOT of folks here that have way more experience....and, as I stated, I will just do the whole thing....as that is what my local Tech, who is an electrical/electronic and HVAC...among other things, expert says to do. 

The unit that they told me, and the same you can pick out from their web page is the 357 so you are in for $250 plus taxes and shipping.  That will not work with the NEW Penguines.....and if you chose their's, that will be another $250.

If you do so googling...and Frank has posted some good info here as to how you need to save the existing control boards when you mix and match...otherwise, it the installer throws them away, once you make the final leap and have the new CCC2 controlled system, you just keep adding on $150 or modules...plus the labor. THAT is why...I will just bit the bullet...and upgrade....

You can, sometimes, sorta....the jury is out, make the new CCC2 work on an existing system...I THINK. But, it calls for several major modifications.  You also have to order a NEW control board, I think, for the NEW Penguin.  Basically, you DUMB it Down. If you google and look there are a lot of posts about folks doing, with a great deal of knowledge, things to make it work. You have to also change the reversing valve wiring.  One person, and it was dittoed by many, said that he could make the NEW unit work, but the replacement controller for the OLD unit, even with the changes....the HP never worked.

What I did find out...is that the NEW CCC2's apparantly now use a "twisted pair" which is a telephone cable with two wires reversed.  SO, you use your OLD cable...but it has to be reterminated.  The cost of a Refub TStat is $150.  FWIW. Capt Pat's has about 1 /5 the use as mine does....just based on the fact that I have been out for over 700 nights. Mine is working fine. I took it apart, with a Swiss Army knife and cleaned all the pads with alcohol and an eraser. It is great. YES...folks that have older units...perhaps in the early 2000's MIGHT have issues, but we have had folks sell those units and the TStats are great.  Spares are great to have...but I don't consider this one to be a mission critical...  Here is one line....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/5-button-duo-therm-replacement-544207.html

48 minutes ago, CaptPat said:

Despite some recent problems (which I think we've identified) my current thermostat is working fine, so I'm not in a rush to replace it.  Most of what I've seen on line are generally positive reviews of the Micro-air thermostat. I'm hoping someone here has made the conversion and can share what their experience was.  

I'm aware that if an A/C unit requires replacement I'll need a different thermostat.  In that case I'll probably replace all three units at the same time.

Sometimes a bit more $$, but the hassle and then finding out that the "Guaranteed SURE fix" will not work and you are out hundreds of $$ for something that is not reliable. In my CASE...I NEED MORE AC....so if the newer units put out MORE...  I will kill for a 17,500 to 20,000 BTU unit...that would interchange....maybe that is my next  "I WONDER???" GTW (Great Time Waster)....LOL...

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Dometic DuoTherm Penguine 5 button thermostat replacement DISCUSSION
  • 7 months later...

4 button Dometic wall thermostat replacement 

I contacted one of the major aftermarket RV thermostat manufacturers yesterday. We had a discussion about there being no plug and play thermostat for the Dometic 4 button thermostat. They are looking into building a knock off replacement for 250 to 300 buck range. It would have a 3 year warranty and run Aquahot

either single or multi zone for one or two AC/heat units. I believe many AC units have been replaced in the past due to owners being told "bad units or bad boards" when the real culprit was just the thermostat. 

This replacement would use current technology and far surpasse the original thermostat and be plug and play, permanent fix. 

If interested please reply in mass to this discussion, manufacturer wants to get a "feel" for demand from RV owners. I have changed out my thermostat twice in 10 years and it's starting that "crap" again. This might be something 

that could save everyone thousands. 

thx

Viper04

MICROAIRE 4 Button Dometic replacement thermostat 

Microaire is looking at building a plug and play replacement thermostat for the 4 button Dometic. It would have identical functionality of the original design and come with a 3 year warranty. 

Viper04 

I looked at the MicroAir website and it looks like at one time the sold a replacement for a 4 button but it is sold out.  My guess is that eventually it will be available again as the older coaches with old thermostats are still out there. 

I did replace both my Dometic AC's in 2021, old ones were on their last leg and I decided to just bite the bullet and replace.  I could have went with the 10 button CCC but I wanted to upgrade to the MicroAir model that would have replaced the 10 button.  It was a plug and play system to the AC units, plugged it in, it recognized the 2 AC's and furnace and it would control each. 

Took me a little while to get the bluetooth to work and then the WIFI, but I don't claim to be a computer geek, I get by and that's about it. 

Back in 2011 I had a Blackberry phone that for some reason was not syncing with the companies system.  I had just left the office I worked out of and was at the airport.   Somehow I figured out a back door and was able to get in, the head of the IT group called me about the problem and I told him what I did to temporarily gain access.  Phone was dead silent for a minute and then he replied that "I'd screw up a !@# dream" and hung up.  But the eventually go my phone working and whenever I had a problem they got on it pretty fast as they knew I'd try to figure out another way to skin a cat🤑   Kinda miss those good ol days!!