Dash gauge partially not working

I have a 2006 Dynasty 42 Diamond IV, and my center dash gauge with has Engine Temp, Trans Temp, Fuel Gauge and Oil Pressure in it.  The top items, engine & trans temp quit working.   I am sure the engine data bus is still sending the info since I getting that info on my Silverleaf/Aladdin conversion display.   Has anyone had any luck with companies that test and service those original gauges?

John,

Check with Frank McElroy on this site. He has a lot of knowledge about the dash gauges in the Dynasty.

He stated to me when I was looking for my Dynasty that they were driven by some type of computer system accessible from the top dash "hatch"

That's all I know though.

Good luck!

Edited by Dr4Film

17 hours ago, Marine Boy said:

I have a 2006 Dynasty 42 Diamond IV, and my center dash gauge with has Engine Temp, Trans Temp, Fuel Gauge and Oil Pressure in it.  The top items, engine & trans temp quit working.   I am sure the engine data bus is still sending the info since I getting that info on my Silverleaf/Aladdin conversion display.   Has anyone had any luck with companies that test and service those original gauges?

You need to find the prints.  Monaco used two companies.  Medallion and Actia.  That is the first step.  There are MANY posts here on the Data Buss.  Each of the systems has a Data Buss input. That is what folks call the "Brain".  The Actia (know issue on the 2007's) no longer support any parts.  The easy way, I recall, to tell what you have.  The Medallion uses two stand alone Pressure Transducers....or maybe two linked together.  The Actia uses two "soldered" to to the Brain or control box transducers.  SO, if your air lines are attached to a box.....then that is the Actia and if not, it is the Medallion.

There are prints in the files for the 2006 Dynasty, I think.  Pull them. There are several prints that show the gages and the wiring and such.

There are a BUNCH of folks online that say they do repairs on Actia.  The individual that I helped said that he could NOT get any help from them.  Medallion was also really good at help.

Here are the Actia Gauges from the 2007.  The Tach and the Air Gages do NOT work.  The rear photo is, I think the Pressure Transducer. They THINK the gage cluster (Tach and both Air) works....but there is an issue with one of the transducers and it will NOT send the correct signal.  Actia said...TOO OLD....no HELP. I think that the Green and Brown lines are the air....but I have not looked at it personally.....just had stuff sent to me.

The Dynasty owner has NOT started to do a complete internet search. We know that this was a common issue....so getting one out of a salvaged MH was probably not gonna work.  You need to identify the BRAND....and the "Brain" and whatever....and go from there.  @Frank McElroy might have more info

IMG_20220815_153107991.jpg

IMG_20220815_153130066.jpg

If you have the wiring Tom shows, Violet/Orange/White wires daisy chained from gauge to gauge it would be Actia.  If you have Actia you can move those wires from gauge to gauge as long as you keep the daisy chain loop going.  It doesn't care what order the gauges are plugged in.  I seem to remember there is an F1 circuit board in the front run bay that can also cause Actia problems.  I think the board has to be removed to check for corrosion which can usually be cleaned successfully' if it is causing a problem.

20180915_134300.jpg

20180915_134342.jpg

Actia Module (1).jpg

Actia Module 1.jpg

18 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

If you have the wiring Tom shows, Violet/Orange/White wires daisy chained from gauge to gauge it would be Actia.  If you have Actia you can move those wires from gauge to gauge as long as you keep the daisy chain loop going.  It doesn't care what order the gauges are plugged in.  I seem to remember there is an F1 circuit board in the front run bay that can also cause Actia problems.  I think the board has to be removed to check for corrosion which can usually be cleaned successfully' if it is causing a problem.

20180915_134300.jpg

20180915_134342.jpg

Actia Module (1).jpg

Actia Module 1.jpg

Yes that looks like it.  My friend’s PN, from memory, is the same. His issue is that both gauge “powers up” and both swing over and the needle moves…normal for such gauges.  So each gauge is getting the initial voltage.  But the right or front air gauge is “dead” and does not display.  He as two dash warning lights.  Low Air and “BIN”.  BUT NO ALARM.

The previous owner had the “warning” alarm chime or beeper disconnected.  He has tested both systems.  He has good air pressure for driving.  But when he drained the rear tank or the good gage system.  NO AUDIBLE warning.  Not in compliance with Fed DOT regs.  He called Actia.  Lots of help, but was told the “brain” was not in production and the discontinued stocking it in 2018.  The BIN light is either a bad switch or the BIN wire is nicked somewhere and is grounded to the chassis as I think it works from grounding.

He is headed to Josams next week.  I designed him a dual pressure gage with a single Mount and also two pressure switches and a buzzer. That complies with the Fed Dot requirement.  Cost was less than $350 and installation is simple. Put a T fitting on each line.  One side to the new gauge transducer and the other side has a 65 (memory) DOT alarm switch.  Only one ignition ON fused electrical connection.  Tied to run the gauge and then to each switch.  

GOOD LUCK.  keep us posted. Meet us know which brand you have.

As best I can tell, the module is the brain” and controls all the other gages as wel.

BUT…if that is not true, please make me smart….I need all the help I can give him

I also have the Actia gauges in my 06 Navigator. If that is what you have they may be able to help. My air pressure gauges were not working and I had no alarms either. No alarms for anything...low air, seat belt, lights on ect. They had in stock the air pressure transducers and that fixed my air gauges. I had to send in the speedometer for them to repair as that's where my speaker is located and they were able to get it repaired and now my gauges work as they should. 

Look in the download section I posted the Actia manual for my coach and it has a section in it about testing the gauges. That may help diagnose your problem if the gauges are the same. You use the 2 buttons on the speedometer to put the gauges into diagnostic mode. On mine the speedometer is the "brain".

Actia Gauges 105820RevD Monaco Navigator TIPS and manual.pdf

I had a message from Tom and now that I reread my above post realize I wasn't very clear. The "they" I was referring to is the manufacturer Actia. I would reach out to them and see if they can help. This is the gentleman I talked to.  He also sent me my manual that I posted. I would also request the manual for your coach. He did tell me there are some parts that are not available and not repairable but luckily we're able to get mine repaired/ replaced. 

Dave

David Lindenlaub

Senior Applications Engineer

ACTIA Corp

2809 Bridger Ct.

Elkhart, IN 46514

Office: (574) 266-2610

Fax : (574) 266-2710

Email: dlindenlaub@actia.com

4 minutes ago, Yoaks5 said:

I had a message from Tom and now that I reread my above post realize I wasn't very clear. The "they" I was referring to is the manufacturer Actia. I would reach out to them and see if they can help. This is the gentleman I talked to.  He also sent me my manual that I posted. I would also request the manual for your coach. He did tell me there are some parts that are not available and not repairable but luckily we're able to get mine repaired/ replaced. 

Dave

David Lindenlaub

ACTIA Corp

2809 Bridger Ct.

Elkhart, IN 46514

Thanks, Kevin!

I am traveling without my coach and plan on digging into it when I get back home.

John

4 hours ago, Marine Boy said:

Thanks, Kevin!

I am traveling without my coach and plan on digging into it when I get back home.

John

Thanks, Yoaks5 for the message.  Unfortunately, my friend with the 2007 Dynasty went to them first…ACTIA.  He has all the parts numbers.  They said….discontinued.  No new in stock and that was it.  I passed this on to him.  Maybe it will work.  He does have the dual pressure gage with the dual transducers and switches and an alarm buzzer….so he can get the audible restored.

Again….thanks a bunch.

• 1 month later...

Moderator EDIT

There have been many topics dedicated to dash gauge issues.  Did a search of Gauge in Topics.  This one is the most helpful and almost mirrors the new topic just posted.  Very comprehensive on steps and items to followup on and check out.  This new topic has been merged with the original one,

ORIGINAL POST

2006 Executive. Just recently my engine and trans temp gauges stopped moving. These two gauges are within a single gauge that has 4 separate functions. The other two within that gauge work fine. Aladdin still reads accurate readings for both Engine and trans temps. I removed and replaced the connections on the gauge. Any advice on next steps?  

Thank you bringing my inquiry into this thread. I didn’t see the module pictured behind my dash. I inquired with Frank regarding any suggested direction. I will post his thoughts when I hear from him. Thank you Richard for suggesting to contact Frank. 

• Like 1

Frank was quick to reply. Here is his reply. I did confirm that my gauges are Faria. Going to call them in the morning to see if they can repair mine. I couldn’t find anyone else that repairs Faria gauges. If they won’t look at it I’ll start searching for one at at used RV parts seller

This gauge cluster is all multiplexed together.  Inside one of the gauges, typically the module with idiot lights will contain the computer that sorts out the J1939 engine/trans databus info and then sends it digitally to all the dash cluster gauges.  Since you have 2 out of the 4 gauges within that module not working, it is extremely likely to be a problem with just that module.  It would be very unlikely for it to be the computer module but it is possible.

One thing you could do is to call around to salvage yards to see if they have one.  The other option is via Google, find a repair shop.  Here is a link that might work.

https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/home.php

You mentioned having Ferris gauges.  Are you sure they aren't Faria Beede gauges?

Have you looked at the rear of the gauges?  It likely has just one plug with wires that daisy chain one gauge module to the next.

Frank

6 hours ago, Bandit411 said:

Does anyone have the module that the air lines hook to like in the picture. My front air pressure gauge stopped working but I have plenty of air in the front tank. 

Scroll back through the thread.  A friend with a 2007 (there may have been a change in 2008 to Medallion) has the ACTI. Some rigs and people have lost an  air gauge. ODDS ARE…since my friend’s rig is a 07 Dynasty and a precious poster had a lot of info and his is ACTI….that is probably what you have.  The ACTI has a known and frequent defect in that the air pressure transducers are soldered or attached to the main cluster.  That is a known failure point.  There appears to be NO shop or 3rd party repair facility and ACTI no longer has parts or does repairs as the units are too old.

The question is…..do you have an alarm going off or a light on the dash (idiot light) cluster?  If NOT (and that is 🍀 good ), then the transducer is probably NOT the issue.  My friend has the front gauge at ZERO.  And he has a light and and shoulda had an alarm, but some devious tech got into the control box or figured out how to silence.  The way his gauge malfunction was diagnosed.  When you turn on the key, the air gages swung to one side…..then were supposed to swing or go to the right pressure.  BOTH gauges “swung” as in they were getting a signal, but the front gauge stayed at ZERO.  The gauge cluster with the Air gauges is OK on his, but the transducer output from the main control PCB has a defective air pressure transducer or sending unit.

Go back and download the ACTI manual he posted and start to read and understand.  If you believe you have good pressure, then the way to test the reliability of the Transducer is this.  With the MH fully aired up. Drain the front tank. That is the one that does NOT have the male fitting….just a 1/4 valve.  Then go inside and turn on the ignition.  Alarm going OFF? If so, then the transducer is OK and working….but the gauge or perhaps the output signal is bad.  Turn on the engine.  Let it air back up.  Drain the rear tank.  Then check again, for an alarm.  If you have low alarms on the front and the rear, at least you have a warning.

NOW….did you get WATER out of the rear tank?  That is also a critical failure point.  Read this for info

If you determine that your alarms work, then you have an option.  If you can’t find the “gauge cluster) at a salvage yard, then the best solution is to install one, but probably 2, air gauges.  TelTek makes a 2 1/4” 150 PSI gauge and also has a nice small mounting plate.  You can get 2 of each.  The install will be to out a “T” fitting on the lines going to the existing ACTI transducers.  Then T off and air up the gauges.  That is what my friend did.  He had to add in a pressure switch on each and a new alarm….but he has a visual as well as an audible.

Good Luck.  Try searching ACTI here using the content parameter.

Thanks Tom I do have the alarm and idiot light on the dash saying the front air pressure is low. Mine is the. Actia system and I have looked everywhere for anew gauge. The gauge spins when first cranking and then then the front tank returns to zero and the rear tank works normally. I’m sure I will have to do like you suggested and add separate gauges. 

If you haven't contacted David Lindenlaub from Actia directly I would give that a try (see my post above for his contact info).  If you can't reach him let me know as I also delt with a Lisa there and I can look up her contact info. I remember early in my quest to fix my issue I had called a number for Actia I found on line and got no where. Someone on here gave me Lisa's number and that is when I was able to start getting help. They had the transducer for my coach in stock and shipped it right out. 

9 hours ago, Bandit411 said:

Does anyone have the module that the air lines hook to like in the picture. My front air pressure gauge stopped working but I have plenty of air in the front tank. 

I do if you need one like the photos I posted earlier in this thread.  You can PM me if needed.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to share my final resolution to my question starting this post over 3 month ago.  Everyone's input sent me in the right direction to solve my non-functional gauge issue.  First I found out what gauge system I had, which ended up being Actia.  I call:

David Lindenlaub

ACTIA Corp

2809 Bridger Ct.

Elkhart, IN 46514

explained my non-functioning Engine Temp & Trans Temp not working on a quad gauge in my dash.  We discussed the self test gauge sweep at start up not happening.  At that point he had:

Michelle Brower

Warranty Technician

ACTIA Corp

2809 Bridger Ct.

Elkhart, IN 46514

Office: (574) 266-2612 EXT 112

Fax: (574) 266-2771

Email: mbrower@Actia.com

get involved.  She checked to make sure the parts to repair the gauge were available, which luckily they were.  I shipped the gauge to Actia at Michelle's request.  Once they received it, I got an estimate of repair in a couple days and then I approved the repairs.  I received a repaired gauge back including shipping time in about a week.  Excellent customer service....

Thanks again to everyone in this blog with the info I needed to make this happen smoothly and save me a bunch of research time.

Best,  John Sima

Kevin,  

THANK YOU!!!!!

I certainly know of them but I had not thought to check them for the gauge. They have it!!! Can’t believe it. I had given up hope of finding one. 

So awesome! Made my day!