Washer/dryer removal

saflyer

I have removed my washer/dryer combo unit from my HR 40PLQ. Of course the valves are turned off at the cabinet where the unit was. To simplify winterizing I’d like to disconnect and close off where washer hot and cold lines connect to the main water feed. I believe this would be under the lavatory on the passenger side of the coach. The washer was in the bedroom on the driver’s side and the toilet is on that side also opposite the bathroom sink. To check this out I opened the exterior side panel to inspect these connections. There was a lot of stuff down there so I am going to ask a few questions.

In the first picture is, I believe, the potable water tank which is white and below the two black tanks. The potable water tank has a line attached to the top of the tank (red arrow) on the left which is fed to the stub line in the right rear wheel well (second image).  What is the purpose of that line? 

I assume the two black tanks are the black water tank, on the left, and gray water on the right.  What is the purpose of the fresh water line feeding the black water tank (yellow arrow)?

Now to the original question. I see one hot water line and two cold water ones running from this area across the frame rails to the driver’s side of the coach. I’m guessing the hot water line goes to the washer while one cold water line goes there and the other goes to the toilet. Am I correct and how hard will it be to determine which is which? 

2468B977-9A61-4C53-B437-71E1BC00C1E9.thumb.jpeg.2c3792071e95d476fa91fae638d45683.jpegB6F90582-F4B6-4A7A-B50F-3570CCAB7BE7.thumb.jpeg.3237a72c32a369b7c91088e9fee2b698.jpeg

The next image is of some of the lines under the bathroom sink. Is it reasonable to disconnect the washer lines there or is there a better idea? That and the fourth image showing the hot lines in the bathroom sink cabinet looks like it is an overly complicated system. In that image what is the silver cap at the top of one hot line?

9762E8F2-3E2A-428E-83EC-9C51C6089AEB.thumb.jpeg.9b0454e2ab20cb5654f3e3691004a6e0.jpeg

A5B59E2A-D96E-4B18-B8ED-8377F79A05C7.thumb.jpeg.2c90f2452f6061993b1246ebbb117903.jpeg

Question for you? If you are going to blow out the lines and then put in RV antifreeze….with the intent of reinstalling the WD, why not use a connector hose and let that be a bypass.  Easier to winterize.  I may not have understood the reason for removal…but just an idea.

24 minutes ago, saflyer said:

In the first picture is, I believe, the potable water tank which is white and below the two black tanks. The potable water tank has a line attached to the top of the tank (red arrow) on the left which is fed to the stub line in the right rear wheel well (second image).  What is the purpose of that line? 

I assume the two black tanks are the black water tank, on the left, and gray water on the right.  What is the purpose of the fresh water line feeding the black water tank (yellow arrow)?

Now to the original question. I see one hot water line and two cold water ones running from this area across the frame rails to the driver’s side of the coach. I’m guessing the hot water line goes to the washer while one cold water line goes there and the other goes to the toilet. Am I correct and how hard will it be to determine which is which? 

The next image is of some of the lines under the bathroom sink. Is it reasonable to disconnect the washer lines there or is there a better idea? That and the fourth image showing the hot lines in the bathroom sink cabinet looks like it is an overly complicated system. In that image what is the silver cap at the top of one hot line?

First question - line coming out of the top of the white freshwater tank is your overflow line. it allows excess water to flow out when you overfill the tank.

Second question - the line feeding the black water tank is your Black Water Tank Back Flushing System. There should be a location in your service bay where you can hook a hose up and back flush the black water tank.

Can't help you with your disconnect question.

The last photo shows what is typically called a Vacuum Backflow Valve. Not sure why it would be hooked to HOT water (red pex). They are typically used for the Black Tank Back Flush System.

53 minutes ago, Chad A said:

Pardon my ignorance but no Manobloc in your coach?  I have a hot and cold shut off for the washer on mine at the manobloc. 

Ambassadors and Knights are too low on the totem pole to rate manoblocs.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

First question - line coming out of the top of the white freshwater tank is your overflow line. it allows excess water to flow out when you overfill the tank.

Second question - the line feeding the black water tank is your Black Water Tank Back Flushing System. There should be a location in your service bay where you can hook a hose up and back flush the black water tank.

Can't help you with your disconnect question.

The last photo shows what is typically called a Vacuum Backflow Valve. Not sure why it would be hooked to HOT water (red pex). They are typically used for the Black Tank Back Flush System.

My 09 knight is plumbed the same with red Pex but it cold water.

8 hours ago, Gary M said:

My 09 knight is plumbed the same with red PEX but it's cold water.

Must be ether the installation tech was colorblind, or they may have run out of Blue PEX for the backflush water system. 😇

Edited by Dr4Film

20 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Question for you? If you are going to blow out the lines and then put in RV antifreeze….with the intent of reinstalling the WD, why not use a connector hose and let that be a bypass.  Easier to winterize.  I may not have understood the reason for removal…but just an idea.

Do you mean connect a short hose between the hot and cold faucets at the washer? That’s a though. But my original intent was to just leave the hoses in place empty of water. 

20 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I thought the overflow was a small, half inch or so diameter tube sticking down through the floor of the water service bay next to the potable water tank drain valve. I’ve seen water drain through it when I overfill. For that matter when I overfill water comes out of the bottle attached to the wall that you pour fresh water into when filling from a can. I’ll have to check the item in the second image I posted in the wheel well. If it’s the overflow line how does it work? A friend said he thought the triangular item on the tube was to keep insects out of the tank. I hesitate to say what I think it looks like.

Edited by saflyer

26 minutes ago, saflyer said:

Do you mean connect a short hose between the hot and cold faucets at the washer? That’s a though. But my original intent was to just leave the hoses in place empty of water. 

YES.  Just connect the valves and leave them open.  So that when you winterize, they are connected.  For winterizing, it doesn’t matter.  Just make sure that you use on the hot or cold side of any faucet to purge the water or air and then get RV antifreeze flowing.  

I DID assume that the WD removal was temporary and would or could be reinstalled.  Otherwise, removing the plumbing is a demolition that might not be necessary. That was the part I did not quite understand.

If you follow that strategy, then when you purge the RV antifreeze….turn off one valve…..say the HOT, then disconnect the line.  Then purge the entire system using the COLD side or line only.  Put the bypass line from the cold down the W/D drain.  Then CLOSE the COLD.  Repeat by reconnecting the bypass to the HOT Valve and obviously keep the cold closed and then purge the HOT line or side.  Leave both off if no W/D, then do the same each time you winterize.  The plumbing for the W/D will remain intact therefore not diminishing the value of the MH.

Just a thought….good luck.

3 hours ago, saflyer said:

I thought the overflow was a small, half inch or so diameter tube sticking down through the floor of the water service bay next to the potable water tank drain valve. I’ve seen water drain through it when I overfill. For that matter when I overfill water comes out of the bottle attached to the wall that you pour fresh water into when filling from a can. I’ll have to check the item in the second image I posted in the wheel well. If it’s the overflow line how does it work? A friend said he thought the triangular item on the tube was to keep insects out of the tank. I hesitate to say what I think it looks like.

I stand by my original thought. Once the tank is full the excess water will flow out the top through that line and down to the ground. The end of the tube has a rubber bug protector which will keep Mud Daubers from building a nest inside the tube. If that were to happen, it would prevent the tube from breathing allowing air to escape as you fill the tank plus allow the water to flow out of the tank.

You didn't post a photo of what you are calling the freshwater tank overflow line.

16 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I stand by my original thought. Once the tank is full the excess water will flow out the top through that line and down to the ground. The end of the tube has a rubber bug protector which will keep Mud Daubers from building a nest inside the tube. If that were to happen, it would prevent the tube from breathing allowing air to escape as you fill the tank plus allow the water to flow out of the tank.

You didn't post a photo of what you are calling the freshwater tank overflow line.

I checked again and the line I described is not an overflow line but the drain line with a shutoff valve.

Do I have to do anything with the bug protector or is it’s operation automatic when filling?

8 minutes ago, saflyer said:

I checked again and the line I described is not an overflow line but the drain line with a shutoff valve.

Do I have to do anything with the bug protector or is its operation automatic when filling?

Well now I am TOTALLY confused! I never seen a drain line coming out of the TOP of a freshwater tank unless I am misunderstanding the photo that you posted.

The very first photo that you posted with the RED arrow certainly appears to be the top of your freshwater tank and not the bottom. Plus, I don't see any shutoff valve in the photo. One of us is confused!

Edited by Dr4Film

3 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Well now I am TOTALLY confused! I never seen a drain line coming out of the TOP of a freshwater tank unless I am misunderstanding the photo that you posted.

The very first photo that you posted with the RED arrow certainly appears to be the top of your freshwater tank and not the bottom. Plus, I don't see any shutoff valve in the photo. One of us is confused!

OK, I’ll try to clear it up. What I thought was an overflow line was not. It is a drain line in the water service bay next to the main tank drain line. None of that is in the photo. So forget I said that. 

Back to that overflow line and mud dobber cap. Does it take care of itself or I need to do something when filling the tank?

21 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

No maintenance whatsoever on that overflow water line.

Played with the insect cap on the overflow line. Now I know how it works. Filled the potable water tank to be sure it isn’t stopped up. Got a little flow out of it but more water came out of the gravity fill port in the water service bay.

4 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

That means that either the coach is leaning to the driver's side, or they installed the gravity fill opening too low.

It as ever so slightly nose down. The gravity fill bottle is broken around the neck so having the cap on doesn’t stop water from coming out of it. Might check Colaws for a replacement but don’t think it’s important.

Edited by saflyer