Using a projector as a TV

Russell
Go to solution Solved by timaz996,

I have been watching various videos regarding the innovation of small high-res video projectors. They have come a long way. I'm considering installing one over one couch and putting a screen mounted under the cabinets on the other side. This would solve all the time, energy and expense of moving the couch and putting in a televator and TV. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. The projectors are simply amazing now and even though not 4K, they are very high resolution. (also, when you're roughly 8ft from your TV, I don't particularly see the benefit of 4K. 1080P would be more than sufficient. 

Thoughts? 

I installed one in my 96 Endeavor about 20 years ago.  It was fairly easy.  Much better picture than the old tube unit that came with the coach.  But, around 15 years ago, I converted all the old TVs to new, larger LEDs which had a better picture than the projectors at that time.  Make sure the projector you're considering can work at the close distance you're considering.  I had to put mine further back than I wanted because it couldn't handle such a short distance.    

the great majority of content is at 1080.  Not 4K.  You would need a very good Internet connection to get 4K content.

The challenge with projectors is they are a little more delicate than an inexpensive LCD.  And the cheap ones don't last too long.  And the good ones are very expensive.

But, I tossed around some ideas of using a Ultra Short Throw projector to a screen on the side of the RV.  And then the reality of "and how much will that ever get watched" kicked in and decided to throw the money away on a different project 😉

My Sticks and Bricks Home Theater has a medium grade projector.  Gets used a fair amount by the kids.  The RV has a new Samsung LCD in the front, and LG in the Kitchen, and LG in the bedroom, and soon a TV in the baggage compartment.

• Like 1

• Solution

I have a Ben-Q projector that is 1080P and it fills a 80" screen from just 6'. As I have posted here before my screen pulls down just in front of the driver's chairs. It is a pricey projector but really does work well. I set it on a coffee table. The key with a projector is the ability to watch it in the day time. The Ben-Q is a DLP and has no problem in the daytime.

TV - 80 inch .JPG

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

A few yrs ago we were at Fun Valley in Colo and 2 or 3 families were set up close to us, they had tents, canopies, music and all the party stuff they could haul.  They were having a really good time.  Each night they would set up a large screen across the road along with a sound system & then show movies.  The picture and sound were terrific, and they had all the kids in the park  lined up & ready to go.  Some of us kids were not kids anymore.  😇

21 hours ago, Tim-AZ said:

I have a Ben-Q projector that is 1080P and it fills a 80" screen from just 6'. As I have posted here before my screen pulls down just in front of the driver's chairs. It is a pricey projector but really does work well. I set it on a coffee table. The key with a projector is the ability to watch it in the day time. The Ben-Q is a DLP and has no problem in the daytime.

TV - 80 inch .JPG

This is pretty much what I have in mind however I would be mounting the projector on one side and the screen opposite where the couches are. I don't want to have to set it up every time we want to watch something, so putting the screen in the cockpit, although it looks amazing (what a huge screen!) it just won't work for us. The new projectors are getting really great and they make portable ones that I think would be suitable for an RV application. The one I recently saw has all the "smart" junk the TVs have, making them a great option to "cast" from another device. The new ones even auto-correct if they are not exactly centered, which would be ideal as I'd mount it off to the side in order to not block the window. I'll try to find a link to the review I saw. It has a rechargeable battery which could get plugged into the 12v system and we all have lights in the bottom of the cabinets. Just thought it was a great option to avoid the televator and traditional flat screen. 

Here's the link: 

russell,

Consider if you can completely blacken the interior during a summer day.  If so, then that small projector might be OK.  If not, then it will be a very washed out picture that might not be viewable.  Not much Lumens from those inexpensive small projectors.  but they are neat!

2 hours ago, DavidL said:

russell,

Consider if you can completely blacken the interior during a summer day.  If so, then that small projector might be OK.  If not, then it will be a very washed out picture that might not be viewable.  Not much Lumens from those inexpensive small projectors.  but they are neat!

Excellent point. I can't think of a time when we would watch TV during the day. My wife and I are not retired so if I am inside it's because it's raining and I'm probably working on the laptop and she's gone to work. I remember one time when my father-in-law joined us in the RV and he wanted to watch the news during the day. 

I think I'd keep the flat panel above the cockpit until I had worked out with the projection system or maybe indefinitely. I see some of the newer ones coming with a televator behind one of the couches and there's still a TV up above your head when you drive so maybe I'll keep it.

I'm trying to get my family on both sides to stop watching the news because it's so skewed and so awful. So maybe I'll just rip out that TV in the cockpit anyway!  😆😆

2 hours ago, Tim-AZ said:

I saw the review. His complaint was you can't adjust the elevation. So you will have to take into account if you mount it.

Tim

Very true. The good part is the screen would be nearly directly across and mounting it under the cabinets on each side it would be nearly parallel. But for sure it would take some adjusting.