Can't get the the fluid sampling tube to the fluid

Well, try as I will I cannot get the quarter inch fluid sampling tube down the dipstick tube to the fluid.  Can't get it down the fill spout to the fluid. And cannot get it down the transmission fill spout to the fluid. 

Vacuum pump seems to work fine.

2005 Ambassador with Cummins 8.3 

Haven't even tried to find the radiator cap yet although I took sample from the overflow tank I don't think that's a valid sample.  The two vacuum pumps they gave me with the kit both work just fine

Edited by TomV48

I didn't bother getting the sampling vacuum kits. 

I just use a small clear tube and large syringe.  Works great. https://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Scientific-Measuring-Dispensing-Refilling/dp/B08CV1KR5W/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=150ml+Large+Plastic+Syringes+with+2pcs+47in+Handy+Plastic+Tubing+and+Luer+Connections%2C&qid=1670247827&sr=8-4

I buy more tubing from Lowes.  

I had to get creative when I was changing my steering pump on my jeep, the tubing I had was too big to get down some of the hoses, went to Lowes and bought a roll of small fuel line in the lawn and garden department, this is used on weed wackers etc.  It did fit down the line I wanted to evacuate.  

15 hours ago, TomV48 said:

Haven't even tried to find the radiator cap yet although I took sample from the overflow tank I don't think that's a valid sample.  

Sure you have an overflow tank?

Your radiator cap will be on the surge tank, and you will be fine collecting your sample from there.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 2:52 PM, 96 EVO said:

Sure you have an overflow tank?

Your radiator cap will be on the surge tank, and you will be fine collecting your sample from there.

The lab instruction spoke of that like a last resort.  But it is what I did.   Thanks

11 hours ago, TomV48 said:

The lab instruction spoke of that like a last resort.  But it is what I did.   Thanks

They are talking about an overflow tank, which see's very little fluid turnover. The coolant in your surge tank is constantly making a trip through your engine / dash heating system.

• Like 1