BlueFire adaptor pin count

Rboss22

Anyone happen to know how many pins an 05 HR Navigator plug has to hook up a BlueFire set up?  I’ve only had it for a couple months and I am out town for work and can’t go look. Thanks. 

Not sure on HR, my ‘05 cayman has the 6 pin up front, 9 pin in the rear engine bay.  
Much more data available when connected to the rear 9 pin, however the Bluetooth signal isn’t strong enough to reliably work in drivers seat.  I managed to find a business that will make a custom length extension with the Deutz connectors, which I plan to do so that I have the 9 pin connection up front.  

Edited by BradHend

1 hour ago, BradHend said:

Not sure on HR, my ‘05 cayman has the 6 pin up front, 9 pin in the rear engine bay.  
Much more data available when connected to the rear 9 pin, however the Bluetooth signal isn’t strong enough to reliably work in drivers seat.  I managed to find a business that will make a custom length extension with the Deutz connectors, which I plan to do so that I have the 9 pin connection up front.  

That is a great idea. More to look into and reach. Thank you. 

16 hours ago, Rboss22 said:

Anyone happen to know how many pins an 05 HR Navigator plug has to hook up a BlueFire set up?  I’ve only had it for a couple months and I am out town for work and can’t go look. Thanks. 

To avoid return shipping charges to Bluefire, call your chassis manufacturer (i.e. 90% of coaches use either Freightliner or Roadmaster) to determine if you have J1708 6 pin, J1939 6 pin, or J1939 9 pin.  And yes, there are two 9 pin variants which are not compatible with each other. 

Edited by CAT Stephen
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CAT Stephen said:

To avoid return shipping charges to Bluefire, call your chassis manufacturer (i.e. 90% of coaches use either Freightliner or Roadmaster) to determine if you have J1708 6 pin, J1939 6 pin, or J1939 9 pin.  And yes, there are two 9 pin variants which are not compatible with each other. 

Called RevRV group, that was useless.  Think I will try Bluefire directly.

I like the BlueFire system, but it drops the connection all the time. I extended the unit connection so it’s right  below the dash board. It’s now less than 1 ft. from my IPad. It still will lose connection 8-10 times in a 4 hr. drive. I send it back for updates, and get promised that it will work better. That hasn’t happened yet. I would be for a direct wired unit and deal with the wire if it would stay connected. Anyone else have that issue?

I have same issue with android or iPad. Sometimes getting it connected at the start of a trip it needed to be disconnected and plugged back in to get it to initially connect.  The dash setup I also found took way too much time so I opted for a generic template from the user repository and tweaked one to suit my needs.  I’m sure if I spent more time learning it I could make a pretty sweet dash layout, but when I tried the whole thing was so laggy and time consuming between the vast amount of options.  
Not trying to knock it, I really do enjoy it when it works, invaluable asset in my opinion on an older motorhome.  
Came in quite handy not only to monitor what isn’t available on the physical gauges, but also a sense of security to be able to validate the readings between the physical gauges and the digital dash gauges.  

8 hours ago, Rboss22 said:

Called RevRV group, that was useless.  Think I will try Bluefire directly.

The Rev RV Group can't help you, but if you look at your capacity plate that indicates GVWR, tire pressures, etc., the chassis manufacturer will be indicated there.  The chassis manufacturer designs and installs the CAN bus communication system (i.e. J1939, J1706, ect.) to their chassis.

Then, look underneath your dashboard for the CAN bus connector which typically has a round dust cover.

Edited by CAT Stephen

My 06 navigator has 6 pin connector under the dash.

I also have connecting issues. At least now it will reconnect in 10 to 15 seconds on its own. One of the updates fixed this before I had to go back one screen and then back to the dash screen to get it reconnected. 

You can check your bluetooth signal strength in settings. My IPad is mounted 12 inches from the bluefire and I get a pour signal strength. I e mailed Mark the developer and he had me check a few settings and said to read the start up doc (which I had already done) and in the end was no help. Sent me a link to a very long thread on irv2 and that was it. 

What ever Bluetooth they are putting in these is very week. I've tried hooking it up the my ipad and my newer android phone with the same result. I have a lot of Bluetooth devices sone only costing $15 and they all work much better that the bluefire. 

I may just buy a cord so I can put the bluefire right next to the I pad. If the bluefire is right next to the I pad I get a good signal. 

22 minutes ago, Ken Thompson said:

Seems like it would just be better for everyone if they just put a stronger Bluetooth in it. I really don’t want this thing flashing lights at me when I drive.

Couldn’t agree more.  Especially when you’re watching it like a hawk due to engine overheat issues and she cuts out on ya.  Lol. 🤬

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CAT Stephen said:

The Rev RV Group can't help you, but if you look at your capacity plate that indicates GVWR, tire pressures, etc., the chassis manufacturer will be indicated there.  The chassis manufacturer designs and installs the CAN bus communication system (i.e. J1939, J1706, ect.) to their chassis.

Then, look underneath your dashboard for the CAN bus connector which typically has a round dust cover.

The problem is most of our coaches are on the Roadmaster Chassis now gone with the demise of Monaco Coach Companies acquisition by Rev.  

2 hours ago, BradHend said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Especially when you’re watching it like a hawk due to engine overheat issues and she cuts out on ya.  Lol. 🤬

Agree with BlueFire dropping occassionaly. I just did a 11 hour drive, and it only dropped 2 maybe 3 times but then reconnected within 30 seconds. My 9 pin adaptor is like I said in the bay in front of the drivers tire. I am running latest updates on App and adaptor.

The dashboard does take a long time to figure out. I spent a lot of time messing around getting things where I wanted, but do enjoy having the data right in front of me while driving and I prefer it over "dummy" gauges. 

My son designed a 3d printed  holder for my bluefire tablet that places it front and center but does not screw into the TOP of the dash, only under the lip out of view.  The ambassador coolant and trans gauages are right behind steering column and at the bottom of the dash. They are the gauges I watch like a hawk. I hardly take my eyes off the road now. 

bluefiredashboard.jpg

20221216_120240.jpg

On 12/15/2022 at 4:44 PM, Ken Thompson said:

I like the BlueFire system, but it drops the connection all the time. I extended the unit connection so it’s right  below the dash board. It’s now less than 1 ft. from my IPad. It still will lose connection 8-10 times in a 4 hr. drive. I send it back for updates, and get promised that it will work better. That hasn’t happened yet. I would be for a direct wired unit and deal with the wire if it would stay connected. Anyone else have that issue?

I have the same issue. It drops several times over a 4 hr trip. I have to restart the ap on my iPhone to get it to reconnect. Cool system but way too glitchy. 

I’m tempted to go with the other system with the hard wire connection. I know I will have to use a PC based tablet, but I’m sick of the dropped connection. I have updated it numerous times and have tried to get the BlueFire guy to offer a wired connection, but he is set on the crappy Bluetooth connection. If it doesn’t work, FIX IT!

ken

I have a Silverleaf. 
Initially I was using a small Sony Viao, it would occasionally drop the connection, not often.  A couple years ago the Viao crapped out and my Dell was too big to use in the location I had mounted a stand, left side of steering wheel next to the side console.

I then decided to try a Microsoft Surface Go 2 tablet.  This actually works good once you have your screen set up.  I use a mouse to make it easier to create the display, my fat fingers don't work well with the touch screen.  The Surface Go 2 hasn't had a problem with dropping the signal. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

@olywrestle is the dash template something that could be shared in our files section?  Just got a BlueFire and in the process of setting up.  The dash you show above looks great for a motorhome!

Yes. I can share it. Sorry I didn't see this until today. Will let you know once I post it up. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 8:49 AM, olywrestle said:

Yes. I can share it. Sorry I didn't see this until today. Will let you know once I post it up. 

As a new Bluefire owner, I really like your template.  I would also love to have access to your template. 

It appears that you can email the file to yourself and then upload to our site.

Thanks!