Bay Outlets Not Working

Patrick

1 minute ago, Patrick said:

All my interior outlets and electrical systems work however the outlets in the storage bays below do not. What should I be looking at to get them to work?

2002 Dynasty Baroness

The PRINTS.  I am assuming that the RVIA code and Monaco did this earlier.  You have a GFCI (receptacle or maybe a sub panel breaker).  By NEC (and RVIA) code, the GFCI goes to any outlet that is within 6 feet or so or a sink or water.  There is ANOTHER circuit that goes directly to the Microwave.

NOW....it gets interesting.  There is (on mine and several have commented) a Block Heater Breaker.  SOME are relay (12 VDC) so that you can turn ON the block heater from a dash switch.  BUT, the main feed from the 50 Amp panel will have a 20 Amp Block heater circuit.  

Next up is a Vacuum Cleaner (if you have one) or one outlet in the bay that is NOT on the GFCI.  They way you TELL THIS....the Outlet is a SINGLE HOLE....not a duplex.  I forgot where mine comes from.....whether on the inverter or NOT.  The Vacuum has one plug....so it does NOT by definition, need to be a GFCI.

NOW....if there is a duplex (two plugs) receptacle near the bay door, ODDS ARE....It is on the GFCI circuit.  The reason.  You plug in something like a drill or an appliance.  You can the potential to be standing on wet grass or in water.  THEREFORE....any "convenience" outlet that is near a bay door will be GFCI protected.

some of the cheap (manufactured home quality) outlets or receptacles will short out.  They use a "box cutter" knife blade to penetrate the wire and make the circuit....NOT a terminal.  SO, open the outlet (pull it out) and see if there is voltage coming in (on either side)....if NOT, then you need to sort of think like an assembler or an electrician.  Where is the MOST convenient place to run the romex from to this box.

Then go and check that box.  UNFORTUNATELY, we have folks that have lost (nicked) continuity inside a wall.  THAT IS THE WORST....  BUT, lack of a poor connection on one of the Monaco OEM receptacles is common.  Measure and see.

1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

When I added outlets to my storage bays, I took it from the block heater GFCI outlet near the engine bay. Maybe the previous owner did the same.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Good observation.  I don’t remember if my block heater outlet is a GFCI as I may never have used it…

On the 2001 Dynasty (I don't have drawings for 2002 Dynasty), there is a no GFCI (or GFI) outlets.   I have several duplex outlets, one in each bay.  All the outlets mentioned on the drawings are fed from the Inverter Sub-Panel.  The drawings I have don't specifically designate where the Bay Outlets are fed.  The the GFI (GFCI) outlets are fed from GFI Breakers.  They are labeled Rear GFI outlets, Bath GFI outlets, Front GFI outlets, and then there are other outlets, still in the Inverter Sub-Panel, that are not GFI protected (Lamp Table, Micro, Refer, Arm Rest, Ceiling Fan, etc.).  The drawings show one outlet off the Main Power Panel (non-inverted) for the Block Heater.  It also show one for the Washer/Dryer (but on my 05 Exec, the washer is on the inverter).  So, if you have a GFI problem, it would be with the GFI Circuit Breaker.  Otherwise, it would appear to be a wiring issue.

-Rick N.

Edited by waterskier_1
added more info and signature.

27 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

On the 2001 Dynasty (I don't have drawings for 2002 Dynasty), there is a no GFCI (or GFI) outlets.   I have several duplex outlets, one in each bay.  All the outlets mentioned on the drawings are fed from the Inverter Sub-Panel.  The drawings I have don't specifically designate where the Bay Outlets are fed.  The the GFI (GFCI) outlets are fed from GFI Breakers.  They are labeled Rear GFI outlets, Bath GFI outlets, Front GFI outlets, and then there are other outlets, still in the Inverter Sub-Panel, that are not GFI protected (Lamp Table, Micro, Refer, Arm Rest, Ceiling Fan, etc.).  The drawings show one outlet off the Main Power Panel (non-inverted) for the Block Heater.  It also show one for the Washer/Dryer (but on my 05 Exec, the washer is on the inverter).  So, if you have a GFI problem, it would be with the GFI Circuit Breaker.  Otherwise, it would appear to be a wiring issue.

-Rick N.

Fascinating.  I don’t have the subpanel.  But the concept is the same.  I’m about 99% certain that my Central Vacuum outlet is a dedicated NON GFCI.  I am familiar with the sub panels and the GFCI breakers.  If all the GFCI(s) are ON and not tripped, then one has to do some circuit chasing….as well as make sure that the Non Inverter 120 breakers are ON.  An entire “string” or daisy chained series of outlets sounds like an upstream wiring of open circuit issue.  Knowing which lewd is the incoming on each outlet and which are the outgoing is essential….and then you start upstream and measure or do continuity…but continuity sometimes is misleading if the circuit opens up when current is applied .  

6 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Good observation.  I don’t remember if my block heater outlet is a GFCI as I may never have used it…

Tom, I added a portable air conditioner to my motorhome years ago knowing that there wasn't an outlet that I could use. Looking at my 120v panel, low and behold there was a 20 amp breaker that was never used. My block heater GFCI outlet was in the furthest spot, next to the radiator on the drivers side behind the access panels facing rearward. I ran 12ga in flex conduit from that outlet box down the passenger side compartments to the main basement, across the rear wall and then towards the front up to the driver area. Went through the floor next to the driver's seat and mounted an outlet box to the wall just before the slide. Put outlets in the rear inverter bay and two in the main basement area. The hardest part was getting the conduit through the rear wheel area so it wouldn't sag and rub the tires. I used to use an extension cord from the power post to the A/C.

Gary 05 AMB DST