Rear Camera Wiring Access thru Closet

I am in the process of replacing the rear camera in my 04 HR Ambassador.  I need to cut an opening through the back wall of the closet to access the wires in the end cap.   Does anyone have suggestions for how to cut the opening and what is the construction of the wall like.  I don't want to cut anything that is not repairable.

Thanks,

On a friend 2006 I removed the rear camera to check for a loose connection. The wiring was just hanging in between the cap and closet wall swing around, after wiggling the the connection the camera started working. We pulled the connector apart and clean the terminals, secured the wires.  There was maybe three feet of wiring hanging . I could easily drilled a hole into the closet with a ex-long drill bit.  

• Like 1

I have cut halfway through the closet wall with an oscillating multi-tool (interior panel and two layers of styrofoam) . I am hesitant to attack what remains with a saws-all.  Does anyone know if there is anything attached to the outside of the wall at the top center of the closet the would be damaged by the saws-all.  There is a cavity at least 8" deep between the rear cap and the rear closet wall. I have not found a way to peak into the cavity between the rear cap and the the back closet wall. 

It's been awhile since i replaced our camera. I was able to cut the end of the existing cable and reuse it. From what I can remember there is not much on the rear wall.  I was able to see into the cavity when i had the camera out.  Can you  take your camera out form the outside and shine a pen light into the cavity to see?

There are some inexpensive endoscope mechanics video cameras which you could possibly slip into the cut you’ve made.  I’ve needed one in many instances, but didn’t have!

For what it is worth, I just reused the cable by splicing, solder, new connections at both ends.  I got rid of the Weldex piece of junk (very long story on issues and replacement screens ) and went with the Rear Safety ( I think that is what they call themselves).  They are now pretty much standard equipment in a lot of new coaches.  I did not go with side cameras as I found them to be distractions and not as good as mirrors.

Rich Cutler '06 Windsor

• Like 1

I would not cut thru the closet wall in an attempt to access the camera wiring. Just pull the camera from the outside and there should be enough slack to get to the connector. If the cable is good you could change the connector to match the new camera. We had the Weldex camera system, which was junk. The rear camera was intermittent and usually went on the blink when we needed it. Tried fixing it from both ends and decided to install a Voyager. I was able to run a new cable by drilling a hole in the wood floor of the rear cap near the radiator and fishing the cable up to the camera location. Managed to pull the cable thru the pipe chase above the frame up to the dash. Discarded the crappy Weldex monitor and replaced with a Voyager monitor. Attached the side cameras and the old rear camera to the new Voyager monitor along with the new rear camera. The old rear camera still works and is still intermittent. It had up/down pan and we have it panned all the way down to the hitch and use it to view what is going on with the hitch.

• Like 2

When I replaced the monochrome camera on my 2000 Diplomat, the new colour camera came with the same plugs as the old on, so it was just a straight swap. The monitor in the dash however was o much bigger job, requiring a jigsaw to enlarge the opening.

On our 04 Windsor, I did cut through the thin plywood with a utility knife, then the thick styrofoam, and still managed to cut a very thin wire that must have been attached to the styrofoam. I was able to solder this double wire line back together.

My rear view camera was buried in foam. I found I could not remove it from outside. Once I dug all the foam off of the camera, it started working again, and has for the last 4 years.