Entry step play

15 minutes ago, 63Hotrod said:

Our entry steps operate fine going in and out fine. But once out they have some looseness when you step down on them. 
Is there a way to adjust this out 

Based on same issue.  NOPE.  The play is the wear or sheared teeth in the motor.  Very dangerous….especially if you are like me and weigh 225.  Eventually, they will fail or collapse back and you or family are at risk.  I disconnected mine and pushed them into full retraction.  They lock out….tight or in ….tight.  No adjustment.  Gears in motor are shot.  New motor.  If the clearance holes don’t line up exactly, the, use a round file (chain saw style) and open up the holes.

if you drill out….be very cautious.  Use fractional or letter size bits and barely remove metal.  You want the motor as tight and secure as you can get it.  If you get 2 screws started, mark the one remaining hole and do minimum metal housing removal in that hole.  The more clearance, the more slop….

words of wisdom from someone who finally gave up….got a better fitting motor that the holes worked and finally got a tech to do the last install and watched him.  He said folks drill out all holes and then don’t get near the life of the first motor…

5 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

Our entry steps operate fine going in and out fine. But once out they have some looseness when you step down on them. 
Is there a way to adjust this out 

Our two steps have some surprisingly NOT inexpensive shoulder bolts in the scissor like linkage.   They are a little loose, but I bet with a bunch of heavy use they would get  sloppy.  Ours operated badly.  Drive motor was stripping it's internal gear reduction.  Stair runs off a large crescent shaped gear driven by what is surprisingly identical to a 90s vintage Ford pickup truck window motor.  $35 Auto Part store.   The gear was worn and rather than risk stripping it out, a new one came from E trailer quickly.  With the geometry of ours when the gears disengage it could or would slide the step back and forth,  bite your ankle, and toss you on your butt.  

Hello I had same problem. Took step assembly apart only to find out there is a plastic or composite ball bearing that wore out not the gears. It seems to be 1/2”, so I ordered a pack of 1/2” Delrin plastic ball bearing G1-100, came in 100 pack for about $14. (Only need 1) slight over kill, it’s been 3 years and no issues, works like new. 
hope this helps out others. 

Robert Kurthy 

2006 Monaco Knight 40PDQ

• Thanks 1

You might also check the oilite bushings in the step linkage. Mine were worn. They are a common size that can be sourced from McMaster, Granger or the hardware store. You may have to cut down the length to match the thickness of the linkage arms.