Living room sewer smell

jfasano88

2 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Correct.  If it leaks or has too much pressure, it will burp.  But, you can “induce” a burp….  I replaced mine because I thought it was defective.  I have a 1/4 valve on a washing machine hose which is a permanent plumbed item.  I hook up the flush hose there and turn on the water.  I can then control when the flush is on or off.  But, if I cycle the valve quickly, there is a water hammer effect and it burps.  Not defective, but never designed to be cycled that way.  I now cycle it on and off slower.  So, understand how it work and if you “pop” it, it may burp…..but not be defective…

And I do the exact opposite.

I open the spigot to the black tank flush quickly, to close the vacuum breaker valve. Apparently they need about 45psi to close.

Only time mine has ever leaked was when I turned on spigot slowly.

2 hours ago, saflyer said:

This is the vent in my coach. What is it’s purpose? How is it removed?

These are Air Admittance Valves (AAV) so when water flows from the sink to the waste tank a siphon does not occur and empty the p-trap that prevents sewer gases from going back into the coach.  So these devices let air in but not out.  Sort of a one way check valve.  Unfortunately overtime the seal loses its integrity and starts to let gases from your tank to leak out.  If you have a sink in an island at home you most likely you have one of these devices.  All you do is unscrew the device.  You can get these (Oatey, Studor) from any Home Depot or Lowes.

Reading John’s post about sewer smell up by the TV ,I read every post knowing someone would say it’s because of all the sewage on TV. I was wrong. Just kidding. Dry P traps cause smells,I fill unused p traps with water then about 1 inch of mineral oil .Slows evaporation,mostly for hot water tank pop off drains.

5 hours ago, saflyer said:

This is the vent in my coach. What is it’s purpose? How is it removed? Do I have to unscrew the collar to loosen it then unscrew the vent? If so does the collar turn standard direction?

What is the gold cone with a silver cap on the red hose?

Ed           
‘05 HR Ambassador 

A2435247-A437-4D1C-AD55-2F73D06524A7.jpeg

The brass fitting on the red water pipe is a vacuum breaker going to the black tank flushing system.  Inside is a float disc that rises up to seal the air vent at the top.  When putting water pressure into the vacuum breaker the valve should be opened fairly quickly to get the float disc to seal off, if opened very slowly the float disc may not pop up and could leak water out the air vent.

The vent for the black ABS drain piping is a standard 1 1/2" pipe thread.  As these vents are mechanical they will fail.  As others have stated they just unscrew and are easily replaced with either Oatey or Studor brand AAV's.  Because they will fail they are required to be installed in an accessible location.

Good luck on your repairs.