Living room sewer smell

jfasano88

Looked for sewer smell that I have and couldn’t find anything on it. I smell a sewer smell in my living room once in awhile. Below my tv is where some plumbing pipes are. I never smell it in my bathroom, just near tv. It is not the following: any sinks or where the slide out movable pipe, toilet. There is a black pipe with a cap on top could it come from there (vent?) only happens once in awhile mabey 1 or 2 times a month. My tanks are clean. I over flush them. It is odd to me

John F 2009 Monaco Camelot kfq 42’                

Based on your specific floorplan, your kitchen is up in the front of the coach near the TV.

I would change out all of your Mechanical Vents located throughout the coach to upgraded new ones especially the one under your kitchen sink.

I recommend the Studor Mechanical Vent over the cheaper black ones listed above.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:12 PM, Walker said:

I had the same problem. On mine, the vent was not closing consistently.  I screwed a new vent on and the problem was fixed. 

I’d like to know more about this problem. We dump and then have the sewer smell for some time. I reasoned it was because our toilet flush doesn’t seal well and after dumping the residual feces was no longer covered by water. After several flushes the smell went away. Just my reasoning.

Now the information in this post suggests these vents. I’m not sure but my guess is these are at the top of pipes next to and attached to the sink and shower drain lines where the p-traps are. Am I correct? If so, since that is the gray water system how is that related to sewer smell?

Ed        
‘05 HR Ambassador 

7 minutes ago, saflyer said:

I’d like to know more about this problem. We dump and then have the sewer smell for some time. I reasoned it was because our toilet flush doesn’t seal well and after dumping the residual feces was no longer covered by water. After several flushes the smell went away. Just my reasoning.

Now the information in this post suggests these vents. I’m not sure but my guess is these are at the top of pipes next to and attached to the sink and shower drain lines where the p-traps are. Am I correct? If so, since that is the gray water system how is that related to sewer smell?

Ed        
‘05 HR Ambassador 

Yes, that is the problem. Your gray tank can smell like sewer smell. It is a faint smell 

John 2009 Camelot kfq 

We had the exact same problem with our 2008 Dynasty kitchen slide. The source of the smell was a small crack in the drain line from the sink that moves or flexes when the slide-out moves. It is located under the TV in that space where everything makes the large 90 degree bend to accommodate the movement. I could not see the crack as it was under all the other water lines and cables that are zip tied to  the drain hose. IT smelled bad as the grey tank can stink as much as the black. Replacing the hose fixed the problem. I did a desert bush fix with parts from Home Depot. The flexible tube is an odd size. I think my research had it as a tube from the hot tub build world. Best of luck on your situation.

2 hours ago, saflyer said:

Ed        
‘05 HR Ambassador 

Another, possibly related point. When I dump the black water generally flows freely until it’s empty but the gray water will stop flowing for a bit and then there will be a gurgle around the valve area and it flows freely again. I would expect the black water to be more prone to this behavior because of the solids and toilet paper but it’s the gray water tank that has the problem. Could it be a gray water tank vent that has an obstruction? If so where is it and what does it look like?

My wife has been on me complaining about a faint rotten egg odor and has had me chasing a possible LP gas leak.  I can't find any gas leaks and I don't detect any odors.  Now I wonder if I've been chasing the wrong source.  Does the holding tank odor smell like 'rotten eggs'?  I would have expected something worse.

6 minutes ago, Mike H said:

My wife has been on me complaining about a faint rotten egg odor and has had me chasing a possible LP gas leak.  I can't find any gas leaks and I don't detect any odors.  Now I wonder if I've been chasing the wrong source.  Does the holding tank odor smell like 'rotten eggs'?  I would have expected something worse.

Mike, a rotten egg smells like sulfur. That can come from either a gas leak, a bad sewer leak or even possibly out-gassing of batteries.

4 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike, a rotten egg smells like sulfur. That can come from either a gas leak, a bad sewer leak or even possibly out-gassing of batteries.

She was smelling it up by the front entrance so I know it's not batteries but the LP tank is right there so that's why I thought she might have been smelling a gas leak.  I can't smell anything but me claiming it's her imagination doesn't seem to be the correct answer.  I borrowed a gas sniffer and haven't been able to find a leak and if there is a leak I can't imagine it to be an intermittent leak.  It's either going to leak or not.  I can't recall if we had been to any Mexican restaurant around that time.

• Haha 1

OK....far out....but REAL WORLD.  I camped at a Dude Ranch in 2018.  That was in North Dakota.  I have driven back to NC and been on many trips in driving rain.  I have pressure washed he underside of the front axle and such. At least once a trip, when I open the door or walk out or sometimes towards the motor home.....HORSE FECECS.   My wife only smells it once and a while....so it is a moot point.

If you have a gas leak, the Mercaptan (sp?) would be very strong and you would know it.  Odds are that if you have a slight smell, then, based on the prevailing conditions, you may be getting a downdraft from your exterior vent.

My advice.  Tanks MAY smell.  I don't know if I have ever, maybe once, had an interior smell.  I advise against pouring bleach, even a 25% concentration into either holding tank.  The RV tanks are set up to be "Mini Septic Tanks".  The normal breakdown of human wastes will happen. Contrary to popular belief, the gray tank will be "septic" in that any food debris washed off will breakdown, organically, just like human wastes and the water is non potable.  It is NOT human wastes.

The comments about Sanicons run contrary to most people's experience as well as how they were developed. The Sanicon developer ran many tests....I talked at length to one of the tech support or field engineers.  What they recommend for dumping will also work for Stinky Slinky....  

I backflush my black tank.  I have a washing machine hose and a 1/4 turn valve so I can turn it on and off at the MH.  That is "hard plumbed" as in I added the hose to the nipple for the back flush and then used Teflon tape on the various fittings.  I attach the flush hose to the 1/4 turn shut off valve and have a large diameter one with a screen inlet (washing machine) to catch debris in the hose.  I start the back flus and let it run....time varies.  I then dump the holding tank.  I shut off the back flush and then allow the gray tank to run INSIDE the holding tank.  That detergent from laundry and dish washing actually does do a little surface cleaning.  When the tanks equilize, I shut off the gray and then back flush and dump the holding.  Repeat once or so.

You do NOT want to leave the tanks dry......unless for prolonged storage. I put in a few gallons of water and then use the recommended amounts of Happy Camper.  That seems to be universally accepted as one of he "top" chemicals.  Ridex (for Septic Tanks) is NOT recommended.  SeeLevel, the aftermarket capacitance level system specifically says NO TO THAT.

Bottom line....I have never had any issues.  Sometimes if there is a front or different atmospheric pressure and a downdraft wind, you might be getting a vent smell.  But if you use Happy Camper and get your tanks "cleaned" once (use their cleaner or any Camco product) that usually works and then the regular use of Happy Camper eliminates any odors. 

If you have checked any under sink vents (including the sinks and kitchen AND also ran some water through the Washing Machine (assuming it is not used periodically and MIGHT have dried out the water in the P-Trap....then I would also remove and put somewhere else the Stinky Slinky.....

That's about it.  Hydrogen Sulfide or Rotten Egg smell is decaying "Sewage" and it does NOT have to be 100% Human Wastes.  If you ran a commercial kitchen and washed a lot of dishes and flushed down all the food scraps, getting a stench is also common...  

Good Luck....  Hope this helps a little.  Unfortunately, I have, due to my industrial and chemical processing background, the "sensitive nose"....so I understand fully what your DW is smelling and it is probably fleeting.  If you have checked for propane leaks, you are safe...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

OK....far out....but REAL WORLD.  I camped at a Dude Ranch in 2018.  That was in North Dakota.  I have driven back to NC and been on many trips in driving rain.  I have pressure washed he underside of the front axle and such. At least once a trip, when I open the door or walk out or sometimes towards the motor home.....HORSE FECECS.   My wife only smells it once and a while....so it is a moot point.

Do you run Toyo tires?

54 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Do you run Toyo tires?

Yes?  Now that you mention it.  I had to have Front Toyo’s put on in CA due to the unexpected and untimely premature death of a front Bridgestone.  Then we drove in and out over “horse dropping galore” rural roads to the ND CG.  I noticed it after that.  Toyo’s would have had maybe 1,800 miles at that point.

Can you expound on your comment?

Thanks 

Some Toyo M144's smell like manure when heated up!

When you first step out the door, that's when you'll notice it.

First pair I bought for the steer axle were real bad! I started calling it the 'Steer' axle 🐮! I thought the balance went out (which it did), so I stopped at the shop on my way home to see if they could re-balance. The manager told his employee just to mount a fresh pair.

Second set had much less odor than the first!

Edited by 96 EVO

31 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Some Toyo M144's smell like manure when heated up!

When you first step out the door, that's when you'll notice it.

First pair I bought for the steer axle were real bad! I started calling it the 'Steer' axle 🐮! I thought the balance went out (which it did), so I stopped at the shop on my way home to see if they could re-balance. The manager told his employee just to mount a fresh pair.

Second set had much less odor than the first!

Thanks….  You may have nailed it. I’ll pay more attention to when I notice.

In our 2008 Monaco Cayman we had a smell. It turned out to be the dried out p-trap where our washer/dryer goes. We have not installed the washer dryer so the p-trap is behind the wall in the closet where it goes. I unscrewed the plywood, filled the p-trap, added a little fragrant oil and sealed the opening. No more stink.

Dried out p-trap for washer gray tank smell

On 3/15/2023 at 12:10 AM, jfasano88 said:

Thanks what is the name of the vent and size. Where can I buy one

John F 2009 Camelot kfq 

This is the vent in my coach. What is it’s purpose? How is it removed? Do I have to unscrew the collar to loosen it then unscrew the vent? If so does the collar turn standard direction?

What is the gold cone with a silver cap on the red hose?

Ed           
‘05 HR Ambassador 

A2435247-A437-4D1C-AD55-2F73D06524A7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, saflyer said:

What is the gold cone with a silver cap on the red hose?

Ed           
‘05 HR Ambassador 

A2435247-A437-4D1C-AD55-2F73D06524A7.jpeg

That is a vacuum breaker for your black tank flusher!

Ensures nasty water can't back up into the fresh water system.

8 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

That is a vacuum breaker for your black tank flusher!

Ensures nasty water can't back up into the fresh water system.

Correct.  If it leaks or has too much pressure, it will burp.  But, you can “induce” a burp….  I replaced mine because I thought it was defective.  I have a 1/4 valve on a washing machine hose which is a permanent plumbed item.  I hook up the flush hose there and turn on the water.  I can then control when the flush is on or off.  But, if I cycle the valve quickly, there is a water hammer effect and it burps.  Not defective, but never designed to be cycled that way.  I now cycle it on and off slower.  So, understand how it work and if you “pop” it, it may burp…..but not be defective…