Replacement Satellite

We use DirecTV in the house and in the MH.  I just take a receiver out of the house.  If located in a different area for a period of time I change the service address.  For internet we have a Verizon home internet box.  I use in the house and on the road.  Rarely am out of range for cellular service. The plan is unlimited and costs $25 per month.  Depending on the location can get up to 300 mb downloads.

I Directv in my house 7 TV's 3 remotes. I have 4 TV's 2 receivers in the MH.  I will probably stay with Directv Been with them since 2000. Not happy with them but that's  another story. This is our 4th and maybe my last MH. We don't need in-motion as I have said before. We usually have all of our inside TV's on although two now are mirrored I am changing to have 3 to be available for different programs. We have always had Satellite TV. used to have East Coast/West coast but I lost that after 16-17 years. I would pay a lot to have that back but I don't think that will ever happen. 

As I said before my traveler is from my 2005 Beaver transferred to my 2011 which I still have. I was told that the parts are wearing out.  my only problem is getting my local stations from about 300 miles away.  they wash out.. in the wind.  But generally my All others like Fox news, Fox business CNN all those types are available. It take me about 30-45 minutes to get a refresh when we travel from one location to another. But going through that refresh so far has been impossible for me to do on line so I call and try to get someone that knows what they are doing. I was also told that China owns Winegard which is apparently false. If it proves to be accurate then I will change to another make. Having our access to texts and emails isn't a problem normally.  

I guess my question comes down to if I change from Winegard who has the best track record of access to satellite, refresh, available parts and no fuss.

Thanks,

Denny

I forgot to mention before that I have an RF Mogul antenna on my coach.  I had one problem that was repaired under warranty.  I have had it for about 10 years.  I was given addresses to use to get the east and west coast but haven't used them much.  I usually switch to a WA address and also a central MI address when I am in either for about a month.

I have a 2012 Diplomat with the Trav’ler. I had to send it back to the factory once.  It’s worked fine since then.  If it fails again, I’m done with it.  I’ll try something else.

As far as the Dish network hacking, it’s true.  It happened several weeks ago and Dish has been less than forthcoming about the problem.  Frankly, I’m surprised that they don’t have to officially notify customers.  I found out because my Dish Anywhere App and MyDISH App would not work.  I couldn’t login.  I finally reached someone at Dish and they told me all apps and their website were locked down “for my protection “.  I told them that was a bunch of crap and that it was their problem.  They weren’t protecting me from anything.

Dan D

1 hour ago, dandick66 said:

I have a 2012 Diplomat with the Trav’ler. I had to send it back to the factory once.  It’s worked fine since then.  If it fails again, I’m done with it.  I’ll try something else.

As far as the Dish network hacking, it’s true.  It happened several weeks ago and Dish has been less than forthcoming about the problem.  Frankly, I’m surprised that they don’t have to officially notify customers.  I found out because my Dish Anywhere App and MyDISH App would not work.  I couldn’t login.  I finally reached someone at Dish and they told me all apps and their website were locked down “for my protection “.  I told them that was a bunch of crap and that it was their problem.  They weren’t protecting me from anything.

Dan D

You are correct, there was a hack on Dish Network back in February.  It affected their IT network, but not their satellite network - no satellites went down or were corrupted, but there was some problems with servicing accounts, and it looks like maybe some account info was stolen.  I just checked and both my.dish.com and Dish Anywhere are up and running as of 1525, March 25, 2023, MST.  

It is possible that the OP had trouble changing his service address if he tried during the outage.  I changed mine in 29JAN2023 to Phoenix, and haven't moved since.  

-Rick N.

I Directv in my house 7 TV's 3 remotes. I have 4 TV's 2 receivers in the MH.  I will probably stay with Directv Been with them since 2000. Not happy with them but that's  another story. This is our 4th and maybe my last MH. We don't need in-motion as I have said before. We usually have all of our inside TV's on although two now are mirrored I am changing to have 3 to be available for different programs. We have always had Satellite TV. used to have East Coast/West coast but I lost that after 16-17 years. I would pay a lot to have that back but I don't think that will ever happen. 

As I said before my traveler is from my 2005 Beaver transferred to my 2011 which I still have. I was told that the parts are wearing out.  my only problem is getting my local stations from about 300 miles away.  they wash out.. in the wind.  But generally my All others like Fox news, Fox business CNN all those types are available. It take me about 30-45 minutes to get a refresh when we travel from one location to another. But going through that refresh so far has been impossible for me to do on line so I call and try to get someone that knows what they are doing. I was also told that China owns Winegard which is apparently false. If it proves to be accurate then I will change to another make. Having our access to texts and emails isn't a problem normally.  

I guess my question comes down to if I change from Winegard who has the best track record of access to satellite, refresh, available parts and no fuss.

Thanks,

Denny

If you are sticking with DirectTV and want HD programs, than I think you have few choices, Winegard Traveler or RF Mogul Eagle.  Here is a site with information: Best Satellite TV Antennas for RVs and Tailgating | SatelliteInternet.com   It doesn't include RF Mogul and I don't know why They are nearly the same price. The difference as I have been told is, the controls on RF Mogul are all inside the coach, whereas the Traveler has some in the head on the coach. RF Mogul is located in Salt Lake City, Utah. You can get information on their website RF Mogul