Wally Receiver connection to a existing Dish Traveler

Go to solution Solved by Discover 17,

I have been looking and unable to find any posts that may have information to connect my existing Traveler Dish to new Wally Receiver. I have a 2006 Monaco Signature that had a original Shaw receiver and seperate dish control in the AV cabinet inside.  Has anyone have information on this subject or had contact with Dish representive and their informaion. Will the Traveler dish work with the Wally and automatically search for the satellites when activiting the Wally. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Discovery 17

Edited by Discover 17
Correction

Traveller does not even need a receiver connected, to find the satellites. I know nothing about Wally, i think they have some extra interface to portable systems but our home receiver works and does not care where the signal comes from. That's one advantage of the traveller.

This is a question that should be directed to Winegard.  Their website has instructions on how to connect Dish Network receivers to their satellite antennas.  They will also be able to answer if your current Dish Antenna can be used with a Wally Receiver.  You mentioned Shaw, which is different from Dish Network.  I think it's used in Canada.  I have no experience Shaw, but I think it uses 107 & 111 satellites.  Those are different from Dish Network.  You'll have to talk to Winegard to see what would need to be done to convert it to Dish Network.  It could mean purchasing a new LNB, maybe a software update, or maybe not possible.  A lot will depend on the serial number along with the model number (there are several models of the Traveler).  

-Rick N.

Thanks for you quick and responive reply, still a little confused though. Does the Traveller connect directly to your TV. Do I understand that you dish is not in your motorhome? If you have Traveller on your motorhome, how is it connected. I have traveled from western states to Florida and back again with a Dish Tailgater that worked great. Still needed to change locations and west to east satellites through the Wally. Do you have any more thoughts.

Thanks 

Thanks waterskier_1,

You are correct about the Shaw service. I have removed that one and replaced it with the Wally because we have not need to travel to Canada. I have been using the Tailgater for service, however sometimes the interferance with objects, and would think the larger dish may help in getting better service in though areas. Your thoughts if you have any.

Thanks again

Well, the traveller's satelite signal comes from the roof as a single coax cable to a Dish receiver and then to TV. Yes, you still need a receiver. We just take our home receiver and use it in the RV. I am not sure where exactly you might need to switch to eastern satelites, we did not need to switch anything between California and Florida but we did not take it northeast. 

Ray,

I have a Traveler Roof top antenna connected to a Wally Receiver. Wally HDMI output to a HDMI splitter, to two wireless transmitters, transmitters to wireless receivers for the salon and bedroom wireless receivers. Each wireless receiver is connected to the TV sets with HDMI.

When parked and setup turn the box for the Traveler on and the Traveler deploys and seeks the three satellites my Dish Outdoors service needs.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

(Ivan, please PM me at bblansfield@juno.com, Thank you)

3 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Well, the traveller's satelite signal comes from the roof as a single coax cable to a Dish receiver and then to TV. Yes, you still need a receiver. We just take our home receiver and use it in the RV. I am not sure where exactly you might need to switch to eastern satelites, we did not need to switch anything between California and Florida but we did not take it northeast. 

Not quite. The Wineyard antenna on the roof connects to a Winegard Control Box, located inside the coach.  These two components allow the antenna to "find" & "identify" the correct satellites of the 100's in synchronous orbit.  The control box also handles the switching between the Dish satellites as necessary when you change channels. From the control box, the cable goes to the Dish Receiver (the Wally in your case), which tells the Winegard system which satellite & transponder (channel on the satellite) to tune to for the programming you want to watch.  Then,  the receiver is connected tho the TV, usually via an HDMI cable (you can use older SD cables on some receivers).  The Dish receiver must be set tho tell it which antenna system it will be taking to.  This is described in the Winegard instruction for each antenna (and Dish Network has similar documentation for their antennas).

It it's a Winegard problem if you can not connect tho or control the antenna.  It is a Dish Network problem if you atte connected tho the antenna, have good signal strength, but incorrect or nonexistence programming.  Dish Network can not help with the connection to and control of any antenna they do not supply.  This is not to say that some Dish Network Resellers or Authorized Distributes may also sell/service other products (i.e., Winegard or RF Mogul) also.  But you need to address any issues with that company, not Dish Network. 

- Rick N.

Well, specific to Traveller, here is a diagram showing the hookup with multiple Wally receivers, the count is not important.. These Wally receivers need to include external power supply for the LNBs and switch to work. Our old receiver has internal supply directly to the coax so we have it simple. The controller box does not even have a coax connection. Once pointed, it isnt needed anymore, it does not do any corrections even as the coach settles. All the processing and switching is done in the turret up there. Once the dish has stopped searching and peaking, I often pull the controller's power cord to save a bit of battery power. Whatever is done with video outputs of the receiver is everyone's personal decision. Some pics:

Screenshot_20230323_195725_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

2017-11-26_08-39-19_320.jpeg

When I bought my 03 Dynasty it had a Traveler set up for Direct TV.  I had to purchase a Dish specific LNB kit and a DHP42 booster and program the Traveler control box to find the correct satellites.  It was fairly easy to do but cost about $650.  I also use the Dish receiver (Hopper 3) and Joey from my house so we can have the recorded programs with us.  My wife has a lot of movies on the DVR that she loves.

I also have the Direct receiver and LNB that I would sell if anybody could use it.

17 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Well, specific to Traveller, here is a diagram showing the hookup with multiple Wally receivers, the count is not important.. These Wally receivers need to include external power supply for the LNBs and switch to work. Our old receiver has internal supply directly to the coax so we have it simple. The controller box does not even have a coax connection. Once pointed, it isnt needed anymore, it does not do any corrections even as the coach settles. All the processing and switching is done in the turret up there. Once the dish has stopped searching and peaking, I often pull the controller's power cord to save a bit of battery power. Whatever is done with video outputs of the receiver is everyone's personal decision. Some pics:

Screenshot_20230323_195725_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

2017-11-26_08-39-19_320.jpeg

You are correct.  I misspoke.  What I wrote applies to the RF Mogul, which I now have.  I used to have a Traveler, and forgot that they are different in the coax aspect.  

-Rick N.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Following up, what I have found  The current Dish setup I have is for a Shaw Network (Canadian service). In speaking with the AV tech, he suggested that I remove all of the hardware and install a new Winegard setup, because most all my travel in the lower 48 states. I have removed all of the hardware and Traveler dish. I am currently using my Tailgater for service. I may reinstall the Winegard Travel'r dish in the future based on the performance of the Tailgater. Thanks again for all your responses.

I have an older dish (I think) not sure when it was installed and am not sure the LNB (head) is HD compatible. Original equipment with the coach was a King Dome mounted in the front of the coach and now a Dish Traveler is mounted more to the back of the coach. Not sure I could just change out the LNB and use the rest of the hardware with the new Wally. Do you know if the new Wally will support and control the old Dish mount? Maybe just getting a new Wineguard Traverler might be the way to go. What are your thoughts.

12 hours ago, Discover 17 said:

I have an older dish (I think) not sure when it was installed and am not sure the LNB (head) is HD compatible. Original equipment with the coach was a King Dome mounted in the front of the coach and now a Dish Traveler is mounted more to the back of the coach. Not sure I could just change out the LNB and use the rest of the hardware with the new Wally. Do you know if the new Wally will support and control the old Dish mount? Maybe just getting a new Wineguard Traverler might be the way to go. What are your thoughts.

Looking at the Winegard site, the Shaw Traveler model is SK 7003, the Dish/Bell model is Sk 7000.  It might not be as simple as changing the LNB/Feed.  I’m pretty sure you will need a different indoor unit (IDU).  Sometimes they are called controllers.  A call to Winegard should answer your questions.  Ask them is you can convert the 7003 to a 7000.  Before going too far into this upgrade project, you might want to make sure the base unit is good.  Try to acquire a satellite.  Even if you’re out of the footprint, the Traveler should start the acquisition process - moving up and down and right and left and dish skewing.  If it does all of this, the motor system is good.  You’ll need to get the controller and appropriate LNB, provided Winegard says it can be modified/upgraded.  

You will need the Winegard Model number for the Traveler you have on your coach.  Some Travelers are retrofittable to different services (I think the Direct TV and be converted to Dish Network, but not the other way around).  You'll need to let them know what you currently have on your coach, and what service provider (Dish Network if you are using a Wally) and they can let you know how to proceed.  

-Rick N.

Currently north of Albuquerque, NM