Carefree Slide Topper Lost Tension

Go to solution Solved by Chris Leedle,

I could use a little guidance.  The long Carefree Slide Topper over my large slide with the couch, dinette and refrigerator appears to have lost its tension.   We had some high winds today here in Mesa, AZ and when I came back to my RV I heard some loud flapping noise.  Walking outside I see that there is no tension on the topper.  The material still looks in great shape so I hope it doesn't rip during this wind event.  A neighbor just came by and ask me if something broke on top of my RV as they heard a loud noise.  That gives me a clue that the spring may have broke.  Any thoughts on where I can get one?  Is there a manual or instructions on how to re-tension once the spring is replaced? 

I will try to remember to take pictures when I go to fix this so others can see.  Normally I get working and don't remember to take pictures until I am already done working. 

The Carefree website has a number maintenance files on their products. Before you go the route of purchasing a spring I suggest taking the end cap off. Turn the shaft (counter clock wise, I used a small pipe wrench) and see if it is creating tension. If so the spring is fine. Like on mine the rotation stop was warn out on the end cap. I built up the stop by drilling it and inserting a bolt in it. Now the rotation stops and holds tension. If not, check to see if the rivets are not sheared off. The are located on the end where you turned the shaft on the outer circumference. If the are fine go onto the spring. Hope this helps. ja

Chris, you can take the chrome topper cover off and you will get access to the topper roller and wind it back up by hand. You could jerry rig a way to stop the roller from unwinding. If you hit the road before a spring arrives, just close the slide and wind up the topper as it closes and lock the roller from unwinding.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Chris I ordered the spring for my 06 Camelot from Amazon, only to discover that the problem was not the spring. And fortunately Amazon is great with returns.

I’m in Mesa now also, if you need assistance, I’m happy to lend a hand. 

Thanks for the help guys.  I plan on getting on top and taking a look this weekend as I still work and won't have time until then.  I will take it apart this weekend and see what the issue is.   

Thanks for the offer of help Ted, I'll let you know if I need help.  I'm up north at Apache Wells near the 202 Red Mountain and Higley.  how much longer are you here in town?  I believe I can handle it though as it is very similar to the inside shades.  I had one of them break the internal plastic piece so I know what to look for.  Checking out the Carefree website now to see what documents I can find.

Thanks again all, this is such a helpful forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

So I was finally able to get up on my ladder this morning and get this taken care of.  Turns out it was a really cheap fix as the culprit was a missing screw on the end opposite the spring.  Turns out the missing screw caused the two other screws to loosen enough for the roller to shift toward the front of the coach.  This allowed the spring to move off the holder and spin loose.  In the picture below I circled where the screw was missing.  It ended up only costing less than $15, and that is only because I first bought the right size screw, 10-32 X 1 and then found out where is screwed into the aluminum was stripped out.  I had to go back to ACE Hardware and purchase a 10-32 X 1-1/4 screw and loctite.  The problem with Carefree using stainless screws into extruded aluminum is that they do tend to strip out.

The only hard part of this project was turning the spring to get tension back.  Not easy when you don't have the roll off the coach and it still has the shade material was still in place.  I was able to put tension on by hand and use a smaller allen wrench to put through the hole that keeps the tension.  Not sure I was able to put enough turns in it, but it is holding the shade up.  Is there a trick to this?

The other problem is that as you take out the screws holding the caps on that releases the metal top cover that you have to hold in place while working on everything.  Not an easy task by yourself, but I was able to do it.

Leftend-FrontofCoach.jpg.f45898d71074a51ae7ddfd9562261200.jpgShowingScrew.thumb.JPG.efd525e9ff8ef4fd50e2c1e71301ace9.JPGLargeSlideTopper.jpg.5740716f71e5e47a325ca01facd80dcb.jpg

Left end - Front of Coach.jpg

I recently had to tighten the spring with the fabric on. Used a small vise grip on the wheel/end and got 13 turns and then put a nail in to hold it. Make sure you can pull the nail out after putting everything back together.

Tommy/Ted,

The topper does cover the slide fully, I think just the angle of the picture may have appeared that it didn't.  I do agree that it is very close to both edges.  I also appreciate all the feedback. 

I was able to put tension on the spring as I stated in my last post, was just trying to see if there is an easier way.  The way that carefree built this, once you remove either cap the metal cover comes loose as the cap is what holds it together.  Just a little pain keeping it in place while you hold the roller and turn the spring.  I was able to use a small allen wrench to put in the hole and hold the tension.  I used a wrench to turn the spring and it is now holding up the shade.  It's all good now guys, just wish Carefree had put in a tension adjustment wheel or something.