Fuel Gauge

On 6/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, Cajunboy1959 said:

On my sending unit, which is mounted on top of the diesel tank has 2 adjustments on it. See attached picture. One is full and the other is empty. Adjust the full down to where you want the full needle on the fuel gadge to read.

20230330_102625.jpg

The “negative” is supposed to be sealed over from factory.  There isn’t as much forgiveness with that adjustment than with the positive adjustment.  Must read centroid instructions carefully to understand. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am wondering if anyone has tried the Holley Floatless Easy Level sender instead of the Centroid sender?  I think that the fuel gauge is "analog"???  There is a note on some pages that say the Holley will not work with analog gauges, however the Holley page says that it was designed to work with "virtually any gauge on the market today".  So, I'm just curious if anyone has tried this sender?  Also, it appears that there are only 3 wires so I would lose the "alarm" light, however since my current gauge reads past full all the time... the light never comes on anyway.  Is it a possibility to change the gauge to a newer style... assuming I can find one the correct size/style?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I am wondering if anyone has tried the Holley Floatless Easy Level sender instead of the Centroid sender?  I think that the fuel gauge is "analog"???  There is a note on some pages that say the Holley will not work with analog gauges, however the Holley page says that it was designed to work with "virtually any gauge on the market today".  So, I'm just curious if anyone has tried this sender?  Also, it appears that there are only 3 wires so I would lose the "alarm" light, however since my current gauge reads past full all the time... the light never comes on anyway.  Is it a possibility to change the gauge to a newer style... assuming I can find one the correct size/style?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

From some quick reading as well as having a smidge of experience....and also knowing a few design folks at Holley...back in the days of carburetors.  MAYBE.

OK...did a little googling....then some more.  Here is an interesting thread.....

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7274

You might want to google "Holley Floatless Gauge Motor Home" or maybe try Tractor Trailer.  

I'd call them and discuss.  The Centroid unit is what is used in all Monaco's.  As long as the Analog signal from the Holley unit is in the same range or sends out the proper signal, then all should be well.  There MAY be a "Fuel Gauge" that Holley makes that you might be better off with. All the gauge clusters that we have are from about 4 or so vendors.  NOW, they are set up to work with the same, seemingly, sender.  BUT, Monaco MAY have specified one particular Centroid unit for certain model years. 

THIS is where it gets tricky and confusing.  If you used a phone or a flex camera and got the Centroid PN off the sending unit....then you should be able to get the specs on the output and such from Centroid.  THEN, cross reference or call Holley and see if their floatless works or has that output.

IF you knew who made your gauge cluster and the model (probably on the back of one of the clusters), then you could call the vendor and find out the fuel gauge input range.  Sometimes, based on age, they may not have the prints....but most of the time.... YES.

Great question.  Maybe someone will chime in and has done the drill....otherwise...  do it and we all will learn.

Thanks

Maybe the Centroid sender has a separate wire for that last 10 gallons . . . .

The light worked on mine when the gauge read 3/8 tank.  Unfortunately I trusted the gauge and not the light.  Cost me a long walk carrying diesel, twice.

- bob

Thanks Tom,  I did get in there yesterday and did the electrical checks.  It seems like all the voltages are correct going to the terminals.  However, I think my coach had undercoating applied and perhaps was even painted... never the less... seeing the serial or model number is not in the cards.  I have seen discussions of taking off the sending wire and checking it to determine the signal for the gauge?  Holley does have tech support open today from 8 - 2 central time... so I think I'll call them and see if they have any ideas for a 20 plus year old coach. 

Fuel Sender.jpg

I just replaced my sending unit to the holley like 2 days ago .  Was pretty easy to set up and install. I held and moved it back and forth from a box to verify the gauge was reading the same. 

I'm sure I'll still check the mileage after fill up just incase. Already ran out of fuel coming back from a trip. Didn't realize at a 1/4 on the gauge I was empty 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Wilmes said:

I just replaced my sending unit to the holley like 2 days ago .  Was pretty easy to set up and install. I held and moved it back and forth from a box to verify the gauge was reading the same. 

I'm sure I'll still check the mileage after fill up just incase. Already ran out of fuel coming back from a trip. Didn't realize at a 1/4 on the gauge I was empty 

You get a pass on running out of fuel Rob since it was one of your first big trips. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

@Rob Wilmes Do you remember getting a yellow "Low Fuel" light on your dash for the last 10 minutes of fuel?

- bob

No. If it did I probably wouldn't of seen it. The way I have my seat adjusted and the steering wheel,  it blocks that light on the dash. Noticed that when I was trying to figure out what happened 

11 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I tried calling Holley to find out about the low fuel light and gauge compatibility, but apparently no one gets technical on the weekends.  You can order parts on Saturday, but no tech support. 

There's not a spot on the holley unit to hook that wire up to. I taped mine up and put it to the side. 

13 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I tried calling Holley to find out about the low fuel light and gauge compatibility, but apparently no one gets technical on the weekends.  You can order parts on Saturday, but no tech support. 

I've seen that other people have used the holley brand sending unit on their monacos. Couple Facebook pages I'm on recommend it and said they had been using it too 

On 4/11/2023 at 10:47 PM, Keamyinc said:

I filled up with diesel yesterday in my 2002 Windsor and now the gauge is stuck on the far right side of full.

Any tips to get it back working?

Thanks Don

I've got mine off right now doing the trouble shooting from Centroid. Was able to scrape the over spray off the label and it is the original from 5/02. My coach is a 2002 Holiday Rambler. I can reach mine and troubleshoot/remove it pretty easy from the side. Mine is part # 01805074 which is a 0/90 ohm gauge. Appears to be the sending unit, will call tomorrow and order a new one. 

The troubleshooting pages at Centroid are really good and will narrow down the problem, especially the measurement between the inner and outer tubes.

20240427_120657.jpg

Edited by Mike B in TN
  • Like 1