Fuel Gauge

• 2 weeks later...

Monaco used Centroid fuel senders on a lot of rigs, that's what mine is.  Here is a link to their website http://www.centroidproducts.com/

At the bottom of the page is troubleshooting guides and info specific to Monaco. 

When I first bought my rig the fuel gauge was not accurate so I did go through the calibration process, it helped but it still ain't great. 

In 2013 I finally decided to buy a Silverleaf VMSpc system and it is very accurate as it logs fuel consumption and I set up my fuel tank as 128 gallon.  When filling up the Silverleaf will usually be within 1-2% of what I actually pump into my tank.  If I run my generator I just have know that it will consume ~1/2 gallon an hour and make a mental note.  Either way it is a heck of a lot better then the fuel gauge.

Guest Ray Davis
13 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

I replaced mine with a traditional float sender.
I bought it to match the existing gauge resistance range.  Accuracy and consistency is much improved.

I've been wanting to try to replace my sender with a float type too, but when I looked at them I was faced with a choice of resistance range.  Can you or someone tell me what I need?

Looking at them on Amazon there seem to be 2 choices one being 240 to 3 ohms and another one is 0 to 90 ohms.

Guest Ray Davis
5 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

Sorry Ray, it's been so long ago I don't remember.
Your existing Centroid sender may have it marked on it, or you could look up the part number and see if the info is listed.

Ok David,  that's a good idea I'll try it.

• 1 month later...

so...  still learning the new coach... somewhat of an expensive lesson this weekend.  The fuel gauge does not work very well and while driving it was showing way above F, which I knew was not correct.  Anyway, stuck in traffic and a frog strangler rain storm and then was on a pretty good incline with a tilt to the left and yep....  she quit right there in the middle of the interstate.  Traffic was already backed up, but it got worse with me blocking one of two lanes.  Long story short... service truck delivered 30 gallons of fuel for $510.00. 

So.... I can't see the sending unit on my tank.  It is 150 gallons I think... filler on both sides.  The info on the centroid page... (assuming I have that brand) says that a gauge indication way past F was an indication of water in the tank.   Anyone with a similar coach have an idea how you would go about getting to the sending unit?  I suppose there is a way to test for water?  Is there a drain on the bottom of the tank to drain it?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim

My sending unit is on the passenger side.  Chances are that panel lifts up if it doesn't have a latching system, it may just have straps holding it down.  There is a calibration method, it will help but it won't cure the accuracy that much.  I adjusted mine, it helped marginally. 

I went a different route, I use a Silverleaf VMSpc to monitor my engine but it also has the ability to display fuel consumption and fuel remaining in the tank.  I have a 128 gallon tank, at fill up I just reset to a full tank and while I drive it will show the fuel remaining.  Very accurate.

But the Silverleaf has the ability to monitor all the vitals of the engine.  I also have set up alarms on critical thiings like oil pressure, engine/transmission temps etc.

• Like 1

If the bottom of the tank was full of water you'd be sucking it into the engine as the pickup is also at the bottom of the tank.  The water sensor in the secondary fuel filter would be lighting the "water in fuel" light.

My gauge was accurate in the beginning but after trusting and running out of fuel 2 years ago (the light DOES work, so that's good) the gauge is there for amusement only.  The previous fuel stop had a definite lean that I didn't think about at the time.  660 miles on that "fillup".

I go by miles *IF* the tank was full at last fueling.  Well into the 800's is a good number.  To do that I make sure to lean the coach with a jack while filling or, more often, fill from the high side.  Most pads lean to the left so I'm fueling from the right . . . . except now I can't see the pump.  Displays are only on the main pump, not the auxiliary pump.  No big deal. 

I'd love to install a SilverLeaf system . . . . it's only money, right? 

- bob

• Like 1

Fuel gage on ours started acting up a couple of months after we purchased it. Went thru the checking process on the Centroid and sending Centroid numbers. After the second pulling wires off terminals, started working again and seemed to be pretty reliable. 15,000 miles later, 2,000 miles into our current 4,200 trip, gage started swinging wildly or moving way past the full mark. Tapping the gage seems to get is back to reading correctly for a while. It seems to be an issue with the gage not the sending unit. Will have to loosen dash panel at some time to get to the gage.

On my sending unit, which is mounted on top of the diesel tank has 2 adjustments on it. See attached picture. One is full and the other is empty. Adjust the full down to where you want the full needle on the fuel gadge to read.

20230330_102625.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, ok-rver said:

Fuel gage on ours started acting up a couple of months after we purchased it. Went thru the checking process on the Centroid and sending Centroid numbers. After the second pulling wires off terminals, started working again and seemed to be pretty reliable. 15,000 miles later, 2,000 miles into our current 4,200 trip, gage started swinging wildly or moving way past the full mark. Tapping the gage seems to get is back to reading correctly for a while. It seems to be an issue with the gage not the sending unit. Will have to loosen dash panel at some time to get to the gage.

My gauge went crazy and it was a poor ground connection at the gauges.  Sometimes turning on the lights would make it act up.

Edited by Ray Davis

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, MHRookie said:

Check out “Holley easy level”.  I will switch to this when my centroid fails again.

Kurt,  I've been looking at that too.  IIRC I read something that questioned if it will work for us.  However, I can't find the info now and I can't imagine why it wouldn't.  The technology is great and is used in so many things.  I am wondering if it couldn't be easily adapted to all of our tanks as long as you could mount the little sender gizmo to the top of the tank and run a wire to a gauge you could have very accurate tank level readings.

Those interested should read this link and they also mention a GPS speedometer system for those that might need a workaround or whatever.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/holley_s_new_floatless_easy_level_sending_unit_is_changing_the_game/

6 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

I replaced my Centroid sender with a standard float sender years ago.
Much more accurate and repeatable.

Can you remember/share the model float sender you used?  Just for those that opt for this option.

• Like 1

I typically refuel when the fuel level goes below the generator pickup and the generator quites.  A little math tells me each inch of fuel level is around 10 gallons, so, depending on where your fuel pickup tube is, an incline that puts your pickup tube at the high side of the slope could run you out of fuel with many gallons in the tank ... But I think they install the fuel pick up in the middle of the tank to reduce this issue.  I thought about adding threaded nipples to the side of the tank and putting a clear fuel line between the top and bottom to have a visual of what is actually in the tank, but I decided messing with the fuel tank would be too much effort when all I have to do is keep a minimum of a quarter tank in there.

I was working on my coach and needed to run the generator.  I had only owned the coach for a short period and did not know anything about fuel level pickups etc. 

Out of the blue the generator quit and I could get it started so I drove it to a fuel station and put 100 gallons in the tank.  So I now know where my pick up is for the generator.  When traveling I try to make sure I fuel before the level gets down below the 100 gallon used mark.  The Silverleaf display works great for this. 

I did try to determine how low the engine pickup goes into the tank.  It is too long to take out and I didn't want to try and bend it so I tried to make a gauge by using a heavy piece of copper wire and and bending it at the end and while I held the pick up tube out of tank ran the wire down the tube and then measured and estimated the level.  This was hit or miss and am not confident in where the engine pickup is and won't go much below the generator pickup tube.  I also measured the volume of my tank and best I could estimate the tank actually holds ~150 gallon of fuel so the 128 gallon listed in the brochure might be "usable" fuel. 

• Like 2