Hydraulic reservoir plug

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Hello all - 

When I went to check the engine oil today in the rig, I see where there is a leak at the hydraulic plug on the reservoir tank at the left rear of the engine bay. Clearly, fluid is coming out of the tank and leaking.

I can't find a part number anywhere online for the reservoir or the plug, and a search here found nothing. Does anyone know what the part number for either the reservoir or the plug are?

Thanks for any assist...

John

2023-04-16 16.13.28.jpg

Hi - I think that there is something wrong with the plug. I didn't mess with it, but it just lifts off now. There is a bolt through the top of the cap that goes through a rubberized kind of cover, but there is no nut or anything on the end. The whole cap is loose and is not a snug fit like I remember. The top of the cap says "twist right (with an arrow) to tighten" but it is loose and it isn't possible to tighten it down.

So perhaps something vibrated loose? There is what looks like a plug with a hole in the center of it, down inside the neck of the port. It looks like the screw should go through the hole in the plug and screw on to something to hold it in place? I'm just guessing here.

So - I can't tighten the plug, if that makes sense.

John

6 minutes ago, ziaptrn said:

Hi - I think that there is something wrong with the plug. I didn't mess with it, but it just lifts off now. There is a bolt through the top of the cap that goes through a rubberized kind of cover, but there is no nut or anything on the end. The whole cap is loose and is not a snug fit like I remember. The top of the cap says "twist right (with an arrow) to tighten" but it is loose and it isn't possible to tighten it down.

So perhaps something vibrated loose? There is what looks like a plug with a hole in the center of it, down inside the neck of the port. It looks like the screw should go through the hole in the plug and screw on to something to hold it in place? I'm just guessing here.

So - I can't tighten the plug, if that makes sense.

John

Get a magnetic telescopic tool and do some probing in the reservoir…..if I read you correctly.  If you are saying there is a bolt that used to be tight with a nut….  You probably need a 5 gallon clean bucket and remove the reservoir or use a syphon or pump to drain it.

I believe that you have the smaller 2 gallon one.  Drain it and do some digging to see if you lost some hardware…

• Like 1

• Solution

Update @ziaptrn

here is a picture of what, most likely, your dipstick should look like.  I and another member are a bit confused. The dipstick cap has a bolt through it and the dipstick, I think, is bolted on.  If you unscrew the cap, in the picture, yours should look like this. If all you have is the cap, then time to drain and go dumpster diving.  You do NOT want or should drive it as the nut, and maybe a washer is missing…. 

NOW, if that is wrong, then take some pictures of the plug, removed…  the aftermarket looks like  DORMAN 917-5506.  But, I don’t know if the length is correct…

That’s all the help I can give without some additional photos….

IMG_0831.png

Just add more fragments to the education of a fool (me). Thank you SO MUCH.

Actually, just one word did the trick. "Dip Stick". AHA. I remembered. It is supposed to be a dip stick in the cover, and not a plug. By golly, Mr. Cherry was right and made the entire repair possible and fast.

Here are some photos.

The dipstick end of the assembly somehow vibrated loose from the threaded screw that runs through the hole in the top of the cap and secures the cap to the dipstick itself. The dipstick end had fallen down into the oil reservoir. I removed the bands for the top of the cover and pulled the cover off and then tried the magnetic tool approach, but the magnet was so strong that it mostly stuck to the sides of the reservoir or the bottom and didn't get me much.

So I washed up my hand and dried it and went diving. In the bottom, I found the dipstick portion which had come unscrewed from the top cap piece and fallen beneath the filter. I re-assembled the dipstick (which now looks exactly like the one posted by Tom), replaced the cover, and then replaced the dipstick. All is good now, and fixed with a single word 🙂

That said, the fluid was a little skanky, so I will drain and refill everything tomorrow. Supposedly, "all" fluids were changed just prior to my purchasing the rig, but I guess the seller didn't really mean ALL despite being questioned about the hydraulics and transmission as well as engine oil, etc. So live and learn. Trust, but verify. And the hydraulic oil/fluid needed changing anyway. And yes, I will change the filter also.

Maybe the photos will help someone in the future should something like this happen again. I couldn't find any diagrams, etc. online. In the end, it's quite a simple setup.

Thank you again to all who responded.

2023-04-16 17.34.15.jpg

2023-04-16 17.34.40.jpg

2023-04-16 17.58.50.jpg

Edited by ziaptrn
added information
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

If it's like mine and it appears to be, then the cap does not actually screw on.  The cap and screw cause the rubber grommet to swell as you tighten giving a seal.            Unscrewing too far will unscrew the dipstick letting it fall from the cap and that's what happened here.  All that's needed is to loosen the cap and then tug.

Edited by Ray Davis

@ziaptrn same thing happened to me about 4 months ago.  Did the deep dive with rubber gloves and fished out the dip stick in the tank.  You weren't the first to have this happen, and I guarantee you won't be the last.  

• Like 1

No need to.  If you do a search using Hydraulic and TOPICS, you will find this one.  Not that old.

you PROBABLY have the “FIVE” Gallon one.  That one has THREE filters.  The smaller ones, later on, only have ONE.

Go read the above it has all the info.

Also pretty sure the Parts List, which is our Bible, has them called out.