Looking for HWH part number for generator slide solenoid/valve for 2003 Signature

Go to solution Solved by joefromperry,

1 hour ago, joefromperry said:

I need to replace one of the solenoids that are used for my generator slide and my slide out rooms (all are the same), but I can't find a part number. I thought it was RAP39015, but that's about twice the diameter of mine. TIA

Download the parts list file…PROBABLY in there.  If not, a weakfish info.  If the PL doesn’t have, then when you find correct PN, contact @Frank McElroy who will add and/or update it.

Thanks

There are two solenoids available from HWH. RAP39015 is a large diameter solenoid is no longer available from HWH and was replaced by RAP0642.

The RAP0642 solenoid is the large diameter solenoid-2.25" diameter and Solenoid RAP90729 is the small diameter one 1.5" diameter.

Solenoid RAP90729 has been replaced by Solenoid RAP42632. RAP90729 has a nut to release hydraulic pressure and RAP42632 has a white lever. They are interchangeable.

The correct solenoid for your coach is RAP42632, the small diameter solenoid and it will have a white pressure release lever instead of a nut to release the hydraulic pressure.

The older solenoids all had the nuts to release the hydraulic pressure and HWH superseded them to the new solenoids with the levers. All the solenoids are interchangeable.

The RAP90729 Solenoid is still available thru the Internet. Just Google HWH and the part number on either solenoid and you will find many new solenoids for sale.

9 hours ago, David Pratt said:

There are two solenoids available from HWH. RAP39015 is a large diameter solenoid is no longer available from HWH and was replaced by RAP0642.

The RAP0642 solenoid is the large diameter solenoid-2.25" diameter and Solenoid RAP90729 is the small diameter one 1.5" diameter.

Solenoid RAP90729 has been replaced by Solenoid RAP42632. RAP90729 has a nut to release hydraulic pressure and RAP42632 has a white lever. They are interchangeable.

The correct solenoid for your coach is RAP42632, the small diameter solenoid and it will have a white pressure release lever instead of a nut to release the hydraulic pressure.

The older solenoids all had the nuts to release the hydraulic pressure and HWH superseded them to the new solenoids with the levers. All the solenoids are interchangeable.

The RAP90729 Solenoid is still available thru the Internet. Just Google HWH and the part number on either solenoid and you will find many new solenoids for sale.

Thank you. This is exactly the info I need. Unfortunately, before I saw this I got some incorrect info and ordered the large solenoid. I didn't realize my mistake until I got it. Fortunately, the seller is going to exchange it for the correct one and I should be good to go.

But I do have a question: exactly how does the system work? I know when I push the extend or retract, the motor starts, and then one or the other solenoids let the fluid flow. What is the function of the electrical connector on the solenoid? Is there an electromagnet that pulls the needle out or in? The reason I ask is that if I close the gen slide, in a short while it creeps open. But if, after closing it, I unplug the solenoid, it doesn't creep. And yet there isn't any voltage in the connector unless I push the switch. I'm not explaining this very well. Sorry.

Joe, if your Signature has four room slide outs and a generator slide out, the hydraulic motor and manifold assembly will have ten solenoids on the manifold attached to the hydraulic motor and tank. The whole assembly is one piece. Each individual slide out has two solenoids, one for retract and one for extend and will be located on the manifold opposite each other. The solenoids are electro-mechanical coils that have a plunger that moves to open when power is applied.

When you push the button to extend the slide out, the extend solenoid will open and the hydraulic pump motor runs to provide the pressure to the hydraulic cylinders to extend the slide. The opposite happens when you go to retract the slide out.

It is a known practice and recommended by HWH that when you extend or retract the slide outs that you hold the switch in the on position for about 10-20 seconds after the slide out is fully extended or retracted or until the hydraulic motor changes pitch. This practice will keep the seats in the solenoids clean and will help avoid slide out creep.

All HWH slide outs are held open and/or closed by hydraulic pressure, about 1300psi. This is the reason each solenoid will have a small nut or a lever located on the rear of the solenoid that is used to release the hydraulic pressure on the hydraulic cylinder to move the slide out in or out if there is a failure with the hydraulic pump or a solenoid. There is also a pressure switch that is mounted in the manifold that closes the solenoid when the cut off pressure is met-(1300psi) when the slide out is fully extended or retracted.

If you experience slide out creep -(this is a common problem), the first method to try and correct the problem is to extend and retract the slide out several times using the above practice on extending  and retracting the slide outs. If that does not correct the problem that indicates that you have a failed solenoid.

If the above method fails to correct the problem and the slide out still creeps out that indicates the the retract solenoid has failed and if it creeps in that indicates that the extend solenoid has failed. The solenoid have "o'rings" that seal the solenoids into the manifold and can fail and leak causing this issue. You can purchase o-ring kits from HWH or most RV parts suppliers.

I have attached  a diagram of a typical layout of a ten solenoid hydraulic manifold that may help you.

HYDRAULIC PUMP MANIFOLD(1).pdf

• Solution

Thank you for the thorough explanation and diagram. My coach has two front slides, which are powered by the pump and solenoids in the front, as is the generator slide. I have six solenoids. I've been talking with Pete from HWH in Arizona, and he told me something a little different from your explanation; he said if the generator creeps out it is definitely a problem with the extend solenoid. Either way, when I get the replacement I'll put in in the extend position, and if the problem doesn't stop, I'll then put it in the retract position. So, I just installed the new solenoid, replacing the extend one. It's been a couple hours, not much time, but the generator slide is staying closed, not creeping out. I'll see what it looks like in the morning. Thanks for your information.

Update: well, it's been 18 hours and the slide is still in. This morning I'll run it in and out multiple times, leaving it closed, and see if it stays that way. If it does, I'll consider the problem solved.

Final update: It's been multiple days and the generator slide is not extending on its own. I've run it in and out many times, but it doesn't creep any more, so I consider the creep out problem solved by replacing the extend solenoid/valve. Thanks, again, for all the suggestions and info.

Edited by joefromperry
added new information