How to charge house and engine batteries from new charge controller

Stealth7G

The display on my my RV30 charge controller has been blank for a while, so I purchased a new 40a charge controller to replace it.  The RV30 has two positive (+) outputs, one for house and one for engine. The new charge controller (and all the others I've looked at) use only a single + output for battery. What's the solution? How are you guys making this work?

RV30 Wiring.jpg

New_CC.jpg

Decide which battery bank you want to charge. Obvious choice is the house bank. Chassis should be maintained from the house batteries. I don't know what coach you have but I have a maintainer between the two banks.

My RV30 still works but I only use it for chassis and have a bigger Victron for the house.

I assume you had a Heliotrope RV-30 charge controller?  If so, then the the engine battery charge circuit was limited to 3 amps at 13.4 volts.  

I'd wire your new MPPT controller to the house battery.  Then make sure your BIRD system is working correctly.  

How many solar panels do you have?

Assuming you have several solar panels you could install a 2nd charge controller for your engine battery and wire it to one of the panels.  

Edited by vito.a

98 Monaco Exec - Heliotrope RV30
The original (90w?) panel was too weak. I replaced it with one 245w Bosch panel (35v 7a). There's enough room for 2 more panels but that's not gonna happen until the fall. I placed the house bank on the new charge controller. I keep it at a storage facility and may just have to manually switch to charge the engine batteries once a month.
What's a BIRD system?

41 minutes ago, Stealth7G said:

98 Monaco Exec - Heliotrope RV30
The original (90w?) panel was too weak. I replaced it with one 245w Bosch panel (35v 7a). There's enough room for 2 more panels but that's not gonna happen until the fall. I placed the house bank on the new charge controller. I keep it at a storage facility and may just have to manually switch to charge the engine batteries once a month.
What's a BIRD system?

BIRD is an acronym for Bi Directional charging…don’t ask for the logic in the name….  Basically, is is a control module that senses the House and Chassis battery voltages.  If the batteries are close to say 12.5 or so, then a control signal will be sent to a solenoid and both banks will be tied together.  The solenoid is usually the Battery Boost solenoid.  Monaco used the Intellitec units.  The latest version of the Control Module is called the Diesel 2.  It works with the 200Amp Big Boy (Intellitec).  This 200 A solenoid is not a continuous ON…as it will damage the coil.  Therefore it is considered as an intermittent “ON”.  The instructions are to hold the Boost Switch on for 30 seconds or so….then OFF….wait maybe 30 and repeat for 5 times.  That puts a surface charge on a depleted Chassis.  

BUT, with the BIRD Diesel 2 module, there is a quick 12 VDC…that locks in the coil or holds it in.  THEN, the circuitry in the BIRD Module drops the voltage down to maybe 3 - 4 VDC.  Actually, it is pulsed On and Off…but if you put s DVM on it, you read the reduced voltage.  That voltage will keep the solenoid engaged and not damage the coil.  So….if you are driving, the alternator charges.  If on Shore, the inverter charges.  If you are driving and the Genny is running, there is a Genny “ON” signal….but it really is a farce.  Monaco quit hooking up Genny signal.  M&M RV Electronics is the tech support for Intellitec and they told us….two charging sources…no problem….as they are not competing.  Monaco went this system full time circa 2008 or so on the lower ends.  In 2007, they put in a rather complex PCB controller for the Dynasty and above….Both work the same….hit the solenoid with a 12 VDC and drop it (pulse it) and then the coil is protected.

Putting in the Intellitec BIRD Diesel 2 and the Big Boy is pretty straightforward.  You can easily tie in the existing circuit to the boost switch.

Blue Seas makes a simpler BIRD unit.  It costs a little less.  Cabling is the same.  However, typically, you have to run a 4 or 5 wire circuit from where the “jumper solenoid” is located and install their boost switch.  Some like it better due to simplicity…but the install is a bit more involved.

Over the years Monaco swapped the solenoids and there are some continuous duty solenoids that will work with the Diesel 2, but the final iteration was the Big Boy and the Diesel 2.  If you download the install for each, there is a circuit and complete explanation.  The circuit is design so that a “dud or NOT RECHARGEABLE” bank will NOT run down the good bank.

Google BIRD Charging for more info….youtubes are out there.