RV Routing around Baltimore on to Maine

Currently at Cherry Hill Park in DC area. Great park. Will be leaving June 9th using I-83 to get around NYC area. From Cherry Hill, 29 gets me to I-70, then to I-695 going around Baltimore. Morning traffic showing red and yellow for the 7 mile section between I-70 and I-83 on I-695. Anyone have an alternate for heading to York on I-83?  From York, looking at 30 to 222 to 22 to 209 to I-84 to I-290 to I-495 (around Boston) connecting back to I-95 on to Maine. the state highways appear to be mostly 4 lane limited access. There are some sections of good 2 lane. Preference is to run on non-interstate when possible as 55 to 60 is our normal cruise speed.

Thanks for your thoughts

Get up at 2 am?

Sundays are usually good until noonish most cities. 

Living outside of ATL I got up at 5 to "beat the traffic" for 20 years.  I still do it for weekends I have to go South.  If I waited until 6 am I'd be in the middle of it, slogging it out with commuters. 

@Dr4Film should have some good routes.

Good luck

- bob

Edited by cbr046

Not surprisingly, this was one of the most asked and discussed questions dating back to 2013.  Many very astute members swore by the following.  Going down I95 from Maine. You exit right south of Hartford.  Then set your sites on York PA via the interstates.  Then down 81 to I 64 to Richmond or US 17 south to Fredericksburg, VA and pick back up I95.

I have done that many times….but twice, I had to go via Baltimore….and I picked up an interstate south of York, PA and took the south west route around Baltimore.  I flew in and out of BWI many times and drove to York….same route.

One is on their own around DC. I have a son that lives inside the beltway in Bethesda and visit often.  I would rather drive on a Monday to Friday during mid day….than contend with the Metro Commuters that only drive on Saturday & Sunday and Holiday.

My advice…..

• follow 70 North towards York.  Pick up 695 to 83
  • 83 to 81 to 84…..towards Hartford.  Just past Waterbury, 691 to 91 & N back to 84.  Had a buddy with same MH as mine and  he lived in Hartford and traveled south a lot.  This was his pick. There is a great (FREEBIE) Cabelos there for overnight.  I drove from Richmond to there in a day….check out other Cabelos along the way
  • Follow 84 towards Worcester and then 490 or back to 95.  You’ll be on VFR out of Hartford….

Thats my call.  Others may vary. I’ve done this at least 3 times, so it ain’t theoretical 

I avoid the Baltimore/DC area at all costs when traveling from Florida to Lake Ossipee in New Hampshire and back home again.

Done the 81 to 84 to 90 to 495 and finally 16 the white Mountain Highway north to Totem Pole Park many times.

Have stayed at the Cabela's in East Hartford many times also. Great isolated place not that far off of the 84 freeway.

The only section of 84 that I don't like is between Scranton PA and Milford PA.