Mystery Module - Valid MFG Trailer Detection Module

I am troubleshooting why I don't have Tail/Marker Light voltage on my trailer and found there is no 12volts on the brown wire at the RV's 7-way connector. I traced the wire back and found it goes into a "VALID MANUFACTURING" "TRAILER DETECTION MODULE". The label says Power Gear Part # 1010000894. Of course I can find absolutely nothing on google. The little module is located just above the breaker box in the engine compartment.

Does anyone have any info on this mysterious little box? I was hoping to find a wiring diagram because one of the wires coming from the module was marked "GND" and it was connected to brown wire that leads down to the 7-way trailer connector. So I figured something had to be messed up.

Trailer Detection Module Label.png

you are right about that being a mystery part.  Google is not much help.  Here is how you might start getting more info.

First, go through your prints and find it.  I don’t have a copy of the 2008 Dynasty prints on my ipad….but we have a complete set in the Files.  Use the search box in the upper right.  Put in WIRING.  Then use the FILES option from the dropdown box.  Download the prints.

OK…ODDS are, as much searching as you have done, this “MAY” be a discontinued part.  BUT, the Dynasty Prints will show you the incoming and outgoing wires.

I’m gonna guess, based on what I know and a little googling that the module is a “Lamp” booster.  As in, it takes the taillight, brakes and turn signal wires from the MH and runs them through a “Power Amplifier” so that you get improved or full 12 VDC out.  It may also do a conversion from a 5 wire system to a 4 wire system as your trailer probably only needs 4 wires.  https://www.tekonsha.com/product/119147_trailer-light-power-module

These units are somewhat universal.  Look at the installation instructions….there is a link on the webpage I gave you.  The easiest way to get to the bottom of this is to look at the “wires” on the Monaco Print.  My first troubleshooting step would be to use your VOM (I’d use a test light as some VOM’s don’t work well with flashing turn signals)….and Right Turn (Green) and Left Turn (Yellow) pins in your 7 pin connector.  Then chase THOSE wires.  If I am correct, they ALSO go to the module.  So, basically, that adapter is sending out the 3 wires (Brown, Green & Yellow) signals to the 7 pin.  If you lost the Taillight (Brown), then it probably has an internal short and will have to be replaced.

OK….again, your prints would be the easiest….but, the next trick….identifying the input  wires since there may NOT be a schematic on the case.  The old “hatpin” trick works.  You use a straight pin and an alligator clip and a test light.  Ground out the test light.  Stick in a pin in a wire.  If it is HOT or works….then that is full time power for the module,  you may have to test this also with the ignition ON to find the power input.  Monaco only charges a battery or provides a 12 VDC to a trailer or TOAD battery with the ignition switch ON.

Then, it is “hunt and peck” turn signal ON….flashing on the MH….find the wire for that side.  Then. You should be able to identify all the incoming wires.  Then look at the replacement unit and compare circuits.  Odds are, unless you can chase one down through Valid/Power Gear, you will have to replace it with a new unit.  Tekonsha would be my choice instead of a No Name Import on Amazon. I would personally not try to find a used one….odds are….it may be bad and if the Tekonsha is the same or can be made to work, why buy an old (I’m guessing your unit might be as old as 2003 from the 00320 manufacturing data sticker) on?

That’s my answer to your question.  Prints, 99.9% confident, have it in them….so that is the easiest….and you MIGHT still have to “pin out” the wires to verify….but at least you have some idea.  But testing and pinning out is also good….’keeps your mind alert”….LOL.

BTW….as a request from the Moderating Staff.  We’d like to know “who” solves this first.  Our site or the IRV2 post that you have out there….so let us know….Thanks 

Good Luck….

Could this device be a Trailer Wire Conversion Box which should have a number of wires on the input side and most likely 4 on the output side.

That will convert separate turn and brake signals into a combo unit. to use on a 4-way or 7-way connector.