Amazon Prime Problems

Think twice before relying on Amazon!

I, like many other RV'ers depend on Amazon to receive packages while we are traveling. My recent experience as a long-time Amazon Prime customer has proven that their delivery link and/or promise CANNOT BE RELIED UPON!

The problem appears to be associated with Amazon reserving the right, and not informing the customer, of the shipping method to be utilized. Their promised delivery date may be dependent on their Prime trucks, FedEx, UPS or USPS - but you will have no knowledge of this until problems arise.

My recent experience was when ordering a small but crucial diesel engine part that was already located in Amazon's warehouse. The warehouse was slightly less than 1 hour away from me so, without any further information from Amazon, I assumed the part would be delivered, as promised, by a Prime truck the next day. The next day I first received notification from Amazon that the part was on its way, then later that it had been returned as "undeliverable" and/or "damaged" - take your pick. They had shipped via USPS and the post office which was 3 miles from the campground I was in had a street address but USPS would still not cooperate to make my delivery - they simply declined to do their job, leaving me totally in the lurch. Sounds like some discrepancies in Amazon's contract with USPS to me, giving USPS an easy way out.

Amazon Customer Service was completely useless! Why they even bother to call it Customer Service is the question. 

I now had no recourse but to find the part elsewhere, extend my stay (again) at this campground, delay my planned travel, try to change upcoming reservations, grouse over what Customer Service has come to mean in this country, and wait for the part.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, I will consider alternatives to Amazon Prime more closely in the future.

-Jamie 

I have had the same problem with UPS losing a package and delivering to the wrong address. It's not Amazon, it's people not doing the their job.

Edited by timaz996
spelling
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Think twice before relying on Amazon!

I, like many other RV'ers depend on Amazon to receive packages while we are traveling. My recent experience as a long-time Amazon Prime customer has proven that their delivery link and/or promise CANNOT BE RELIED UPON!

The problem appears to be associated with Amazon reserving the right, and not informing the customer, of the shipping method to be utilized. Their promised delivery date may be dependent on their Prime trucks, FedEx, UPS or USPS - but you will have no knowledge of this until problems arise.

My recent experience was when ordering a small but crucial diesel engine part that was already located in Amazon's warehouse. The warehouse was slightly less than 1 hour away from me so, without any further information from Amazon, I assumed the part would be delivered, as promised, by a Prime truck the next day. The next day I first received notification from Amazon that the part was on its way, then later that it had been returned as "undeliverable" and/or "damaged" - take your pick. They had shipped via USPS and the post office which was 3 miles from the campground I was in had a street address but USPS would still not cooperate to make my delivery - they simply declined to do their job, leaving me totally in the lurch. Sounds like some discrepancies in Amazon's contract with USPS to me, giving USPS an easy way out.

Amazon Customer Service was completely useless! Why they even bother to call it Customer Service is the question. 

I now had no recourse but to find the part elsewhere, extend my stay (again) at this campground, delay my planned travel, try to change upcoming reservations, grouse over what Customer Service has come to mean in this country, and wait for the part.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, I will consider alternatives to Amazon Prime more closely in the future.

-Jamie 

Yes, my mileage does vary.  After hitting all 50 states and 700 nights in 10 years, I never had a problem.  I always contacted the CG and asked how they got their Amazon or UPS or USPS or FedEx delivery.  I found out that many CG use PO boxes and avoided that hassle.  But, I probably had 20+ orders delivered.  I never counted on next day…so I gave Amazon a few days.  I average 10 orders per month at home….and we live in a nice metropolitan area….just easier that fighting the crowds….and Lowes or HD rarely have all the stuff needed for a project.

YES, itty bitty packages get lost by USPS, and sometimes UPS.  When i see it bouncing….I call Amazon and they credit my account and cancel the order.  I place a new order.  Every once and a while, they can’t do what I think is fair….but that is a real exception.  I keep ordering (wish I had been smart enough to put a nice sum in AMZN when I first started….I could buy a Prevost…LOL). If the lost package never shows or I get a “must return by”, I call and they will refund my charge or give me a Customer Service gift card usually more than the order.  i had one lost order….as in a return.  UPS showed it returned and delivered….the CS rep also saw it.  He said….here is a $25 gift card….so, that covers the $15 charge….

The other thing that I would do now is to use their LOCKER delivery….especially small critical stuff.  

Again, my mileage is different and I keep ordering …..  

• Like 1

Thanks Tom and Craig for your feedback. I too have literally years of Amazon orders in my past, and yes, they have the variety and usually deliver with limited hassle, but I stand by my comment that Amazon should always apprise me of their shipping method when I place the order. As an Amazon customer who pays the steadily increasing price for their Prime services, and occasionally (like today) depends on their timely shipping, I would intentionally avoid the order when USPS will be involved. I am not a party to the agreement between USPS and Amazon and I shouldn't be expected to put up with Amazon blaming USPS for Amazon's systematic delivery failures.

-Jamie 

• Like 1

I have had the same problem with Amazon. Canceled my Prime and look elsewhere before ordering. If I truly need it in a rush, I will order from someone I can talk to, and pay to have it shipped overnight. Would rather spend a little more and not have the aggravation.

12 hours ago, Russ R said:

I have had the same problem with Amazon. Canceled my Prime and look elsewhere before ordering. If I truly need it in a rush, I will order from someone I can talk to, and pay to have it shipped overnight. Would rather spend a little more and not have the aggravation.

If you have your package dropped at an Amazon lock box, it removes a lot of issues.

• Like 1

I've used Prime for many years.  They used to almost always meet their 2-day delivery promise, but for several years now they've been spotty, with packages often taking longer than promised.
They've also been jacking up the cost of Prime, but shipping costs have also risen astronomically.

Oh to have the bad ‘ol days back! 😜

Amazon is pretty good all around. Like others have said, check with the campground about deliveries first. If I had to depend on something being delivered, I’d find out where the nearest Amazon locker was so you know it is there when they deposit it (you get text or email) and then go drive and get it. Otherwise, you’re dealing with Murphy when you really have to have something. 

Safe travels, all. 

Lots of times the says order it within x hours and receive it by yy date, usually the next day or 2 days.  Maybe 1/5 they miss their date by a day.  Not a big deal here. 

Although I've not used it yet I'll second the Prime Lock-Box.  It means a road trip but is more likely to be there vs waiting on <what-color-truck-today> will bring it.

- bob

• Like 1