Wanted Rear Monaco Mudflap

Dragracer

All I CAN add or provide information on.....

DO NOT USE A LOW TORQUE 3/8" RATCHET to tighten down the welded studs on the SS attaching hardware.  I snapped one off.  I then drilled a 1/4" hole and put in a SS hex bolt with Nylok nut on the rear.  NOW, Don't ask me WHY I had it apart or what the occasion was.  I can't recall nor can I even lie and make up a story.  It was off, as an assembly, so I could do some work or such.  Maybe I decided to replace the nuts with Nylok locking nuts to prevent vibration....???

BUT, ONLY use a hand ratchet or wrench to remove or tighten the retaining nuts.  I would suggest that you use NEW (only NEW) Nyloks for the final assembly and then throw them away if you have to replace.  SS Nyloks are out there...as well as SS nuts which can be Double Nutted as well for security.

NOW, I DO recommend that you look at the Clevis Hooks.  I replaced the Grade 2 Pins with Grade 5 (maybe Grade 8 bolts and Nylok nuts or double nutted them. Many folks over they years have reported pins breaking or see wear. Mine, after 5 years and some 35K miles were starting to show some wear....I DO remember laying on my back in Maine and putting in the new hardware with my grown son saying..."WHY are we doing this now?"  LOL

Guest Ray Davis
4 minutes ago, Mark Underhill said:

"Why are we doing this now?"

That pretty much sums up RV ownership!

Huh?

45 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Huh?

AS IN....Some of us are so OCD and don't want to let something break that we might have been able to prevent will undertake inordinately complex solutions for a less than 0.01% probability of said event or "IT BROKE" occurring. My wife says I spend more time fixing stuff that MIGHT break than the time it would take to fix them when they do.  What an ASTUTE WOMAN...and SHE asked me out first...and we never dated anyone else and got married 6 months later, after the first date.....and will celebrate 58 years this fall and we ALWAYS celebrate, with a little ribbing from me, her "April 1" letter and me ignoring assuming it was an April Fool Joke...

Now, I am NOT a qualified Psychologist or Psychairatrist or such...but stayed at  many Holiday Inn Expresses....and I did get an A- in Intro to Basic  Psychology...my sophomore year and decided NOT to continue as my "So called Engineering Brain" or problem solving techniques could NOT be applied to medical science or human nature...

We DO it because of who we are and our personality.  If you understand all that...you might qualify to be as weird as I have been reported to do...LOL

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

All I CAN add or provide information on.....

DO NOT USE A LOW TORQUE 3/8" RATCHET to tighten down the welded studs on the SS attaching hardware.  I snapped one off.  I then drilled a 1/4" hole and put in a SS hex bolt with Nylok nut on the rear.  NOW, Don't ask me WHY I had it apart or what the occasion was.  I can't recall nor can I even lie and make up a story.  It was off, as an assembly, so I could do some work or such.  Maybe I decided to replace the nuts with Nylok locking nuts to prevent vibration....???

BUT, ONLY use a hand ratchet or wrench to remove or tighten the retaining nuts.  I would suggest that you use NEW (only NEW) Nyloks for the final assembly and then throw them away if you have to replace.  SS Nyloks are out there...as well as SS nuts which can be Double Nutted as well for security.

NOW, I DO recommend that you look at the Clevis Hooks.  I replaced the Grade 2 Pins with Grade 5 (maybe Grade 8 bolts and Nylok nuts or double nutted them. Many folks over they years have reported pins breaking or see wear. Mine, after 5 years and some 35K miles were starting to show some wear....I DO remember laying on my back in Maine and putting in the new hardware with my grown son saying..."WHY are we doing this now?"  LOL

My name plate was badly mangled from my incident, 2 of the studs were broken off. I got a couple of SS carriage bolts put in place of the, what a PITA drilling thru the old studs to get a pilot hole. All worked out, MUCH easier on the bench.

25 minutes ago, DennisZ said:

My name plate was badly mangled from my incident, 2 of the studs were broken off. I got a couple of SS carriage bolts put in place of the, what a PITA drilling thru the old studs to get a pilot hole. All worked out, MUCH easier on the bench.

NOW it all comes BACK.  I backed into something and bent the SS piece.  It was not damaged or scratched but it sort of WARPED the rubber and DW commented on it.  Took it off. Two 2X10's and a a thin blanket and some careful positioning and my trusty 5 pound sledge did the "hammer body work".  BEAUTIFUL.

THEN I snapped off the stud...as you did.  I do NOT think that I used, but may have, a Carriage bolt....whatever I used...it is hardly noticeable.  Having the "knowledge" that the spot welding (I think...maybe brazing) on the SS would case harden it... I chose to drill in a different location...and NOT on the spot where the stud was.

You just verified my gut feeling...and my old boss, a Metallurgist with an esteemed professional reputation, will explain that to me later on...BUT, I will not bore folks...

Thanks.  That is what happened... WE ALL LEARN

I guess that I'm strange. I took of my rock guard years ago and left it off. 

On another site, it was discussed by an aeronautical engineer I think. He said, and I agree, that it lets a vacuum form behind the coach which sucks things up and behind.

Long story short, my Jeep started getting a lot less rock dings when I took it off.

Just my 2¢

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis

I suppose it's safe to say that many of us didn't start out RVing in a big ole diesel pusher, it's for sure we didn't.  It takes me back to those days of tents, pop-ups,   bumper pulls, and a gas rig, back then I would see those rich folks in their shiny diesel pushers with that beautiful mud flap on the back and a brilliant name on it.     Little did I know they probably didn't think of themselves as rich,  just fortunate.  In a way tho, we're all rich.  Is this a great country or what? Truthfully, in those days I   never imagined we would have one someday, but life has been kind to us. Perseverance & hard work actually still pays off and now we have our own DP. It's getting a   little age on it now, sort of like its owners, 👎but we still love it, especially that beautiful " Monaco " on the mud flap. 😁                                                                                            So you might say it's a vanity flap to me & I still love it.    😎

Edited by Ray Davis

11 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I suppose it's safe to say that many of us didn't start out RVing in a big ole diesel pusher, it's for sure we didn't.  It takes me back to those days of tents, pop-ups,   bumper pulls, and a gas rig, back then I would see those rich folks in their shiny diesel pushers with that beautiful mud flap on the back and a brilliant name on it.     Little did I know they probably didn't think of themselves as rich,  just fortunate.  In a way tho, we're all rich.  Is this a great country or what? Truthfully, in those days I   never imagined we would have one someday, but life has been kind to us. Perseverance & hard work actually still pays off and now we have our own DP. It's getting a   little age on it now, sort of like its owners, 👎but we still love it, especially that beautiful " Monaco " on the mud flap. 😁                                                                                            So you might say it's a vanity flap to me & I still love it.    😎

So true for us as well. I also still have the flap even though I narrowed and pulled it up and no one can really see it with the "diaper" between the rig and toad. I would leave it home if we finally decided to go to Alaska however, for the reasons Vince mentioned above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VinceB said:

I guess that I'm strange. I took of my rock guard years ago and left it off. 

On another site, it was discussed by an aeronautical engineer I think. He said, and I agree, that it lets a vacuum form behind the coach which sucks things up and behind.

Long story short, my Jeep started getting a lot less rock dings when I took it off.

Just my 2¢

Wow!!! Good info!! But if I'm not pulling a trailer I still want one. I think they look good. Don't know where mine went. Coach is 22 years old & I'm the 3rd owner & it was gone when I got it. We started camping in tents years ago. Then i got a camper shell & air mattress for my truck. I never ever thought I would ever own a motorhome. We are enjoying it big time.  Going to be nice when I go racing & don't have to drive home at 3 or 4 in the morning.  Oh well just was wondering if someone had a Monaco mudflap they didn't want or need before I spend the $$ for a new one.

Guest Ray Davis
11 hours ago, Ivan K said:

no one can really see it with the "diaper" between the rig and toad

Diaper is funny I haven't heard that before.  🤣  I have a plastic " Guardian " shield but our Equinox cautions about blocking airflow when towing so I don't use it now.  I've wondered about the diaper LOL & can't decide if it would block air too, it doesn't seem like it would, not to the same extent anyway.

I have had 3 DP's over the years, all with the mudflap, 50,000 on the first, over 100,000 on the second and now 185,000 on our Nav.  Never had a problem with it kicking stuff up on our toad, including 2 trips to Alaska.  I wonder if it doesn't happen to those whose flap drags the ground almost all the time?  

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
5 minutes ago, willbo777 said:

I have had 3 DP's over the years, all with the mudflap, 50,000 on the first, over 100,000 on the second and now 185,000 on our Nav.  Never had a problem with it kicking stuff up on our toad, including 2 trips to Alaska.  I wonder if it doesn't happen to those whose flap drags the ground almost all the time?  

Wow, Bill,  that's a lot of miles, It might even be a record, I don't know, but I like it,  get out there and do some RVing.  I wish we could travel like that but life gets in the way.  However, we are planning a trip to the Great Lakes & Upper Peninsula area soon.  We have been close but never quite got to the UP, maybe now we will.

I used to attend the NAMES (North American Model Engineering Society) show in Wyandot Mich  (  Detroit )  but it was still really cold.                                                    Anyway, the skills of those model machinest are off the chart.  Here is a youtube if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBZ3M2xZITQ

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Wow, Bill,  that's a lot of miles, It might even be a record, I don't know, but I like it,  get out there and do some RVing.  I wish we could travel like that but life gets in the way.  However, we are planning a trip to the Great Lakes & Upper Peninsula area soon.  We have been close but never quite got to the UP, maybe now we will.

I don't think it is any kind of record, but we have been full timing since 2004, and don't sit still, and the first DP goes back to 1995 and even when I was working managed to put a lot of miles on.  Lots to see:-)

We have one we took off after a few 1000 miles.  It is off of our 2004 Executive.  Normal wear on the back (looks rusty) from several 1000 miles. The Stainless front is in good shape except for some cement over spray from when the wall around the place was done but water and elbow grease will take it off.  We would like $100 plus shipping for it.  We are in HOT Phoenix (stuck here).  It is heavy and it takes 2 80's year olds to pick it up.  Or you could visit AZ when it is cooler to pick it up.  It has two chain shackles on it.

Sorry the pics aren't any better but it is hot out (112º) and it is heavy so we did not move it except to turn it over (we keep the Monaco side down)  it is also hard to see exactly what I'm taking a pic of!

Larry & Ellen Clark

2004 Executive

Phoenix, AZ

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

• Like 1

I want it. Don't know when I could come get it so if you could ship it that would be great. Or if I can find someone traveling the route between you & I that could work too. I'm not in any rush. Do you have a Fastenal store close by. I have used them to ship large heavy items & it's a fairly easy process dealing with them.

Thanks,

Robbie

Robbie,

We have an account with Fed-Ex and they will pick it up.  Larry is good at building shipping containers ( he shipped a 600# torque wrench to another Monacoer)  602-625-4000 is his cell number but he doesn't get up until after 10 AM PDT, if you want to talk with him.

We were watching a movie so didn't see this until now when I went to turn off the computer.

Ellen (&Larry)