kwikee series 38 step

I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat LE with a Kwikee series electric step. The motor has crapped out and am having a heck of a time getting it replaced.

I took the whole mechanism, linkage and all off and took it to the local NAPA store . They took the motor apart and tried to match it up with pictures on their computer.

They found one that looked like it would work, but when we tried to install it, it wouldn't work.

Next I ordered on from Amazon which said it worked on a series 38 step. the shaft that holds the gears on mine is round, the one from Amazon has flat edges on 2 sides.

Next I tried Etrailer, and was told I had to order the whole new "upgraded assembly" for $439.00.

I've been told that these are power window motors, but there's a ton if different models. Does anyone in the group know what car the motor is from or have any ideas on how to fix it without spending $439.00?

The number on my motor is 151332

Thanks

Mike Hampton

2002 Dip le

Mike,

As a newbie, you may not be familiar with how to search topics or find info.  This is for your future use and NOT calling you out. Ordinarily, we moderators would move your post to a current or ongoing topic that was exactly what you needed.  So, we request that folks do a search BEFORE starting a new topic.

BUT, sometimes we don’t have time to do that promptly.  So, this is how you search. There is a search box in the upper right section.  Put in a key word like STEP. Then click on the EVERYWHERE and only select TOPICS.  Bingo….more reading and help that is already out there.  So, here is the results. Click on the Link.  Then you  can click on each post….but then you begin to see the post(s) that are good and you read them.

The short answer is that SOME Kwikee’s used a slightly different motor.  Many have taken the old motor to NAPA and the parts guys could cross reference it.  Coachstep and Kwikee got swallowed up by Lippert.  Somewhere in this consolidation, Stromberg Carlson may have owned or originally did own Kwikee….

You need to read the past info.  It would also help to post a picture of your old motor and the “underside” of the steps and motor.  Many folks are well versed snd then can chime in.  That also eliminates a lot of “gee…mine was…” as there are way too many different steps and motors as folks are just trying to help….but yours might be totally different.

here is the list….read…but put up a picture also…you will get more GOOD help that way.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Step&quick=1&type=forums_topic

1 hour ago, mike hampton said:

I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat LE with a Kwikee series electric step. The motor has crapped out and am having a heck of a time getting it replaced.

I took the whole mechanism, linkage and all off and took it to the local NAPA store . They took the motor apart and tried to match it up with pictures on their computer.

They found one that looked like it would work, but when we tried to install it, it wouldn't work.

Next I ordered on from Amazon which said it worked on a series 38 step. the shaft that holds the gears on mine is round, the one from Amazon has flat edges on 2 sides.

Next I tried Etrailer, and was told I had to order the whole new "upgraded assembly" for $439.00.

I've been told that these are power window motors, but there's a ton if different models. Does anyone in the group know what car the motor is from or have any ideas on how to fix it without spending $439.00?

The number on my motor is 151332

Thanks

Mike Hampton

2002 Dip le

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Just addin my 2 cents, my buddie has a series 28 kwikee, his issue was the shaft for the gear box broke off, he bought one from amazon and it wasnt the same, so he ordered a motor for the gear box, they sold him (from amazon) the one made for the original gear box, didnt work. He got me involved, i called lippert they said the old style had a design flaw so they upgraded the gear box an motor and needed to buy the compleate kit which also inclued a new module AND door switches. Costs were well into $500.00 that doesnt include the $$$ spent with amazon.

The moral of the story is reach out to Lippert to see if there has been an upgrade before spending money on parts don’t seem readily available

• 3 months later...

In general, the motor are usually all about the same.  There are part numbers all over the map.  Depending on the STEP....which is a BIG COMMENT, if the housing will fit and if the holes line up...then it will work.  Might have to steal the plug or butt splice in the old connector.

The real issue, especially on the Coach Step, is "GETTING IT LINED UP".  The OEM motors had smaller diameter "hole" and precise locations.  As every offshore factory started making the motors and prints got copied or stolen or reverse engineered....and then the MOLDS (motor housing) was made, there is a tolerance stackup or just plain "SLOPPINESS".  The intent of having a precision made motor that fits exactly and very TIGHT is that the motor will not shift each time the step extends or retracts.

Many members, as well as RV Techs will just "drill out" or open up (rat tail file) the holes in the housing.  That works....up to a point.  If there is a LOT of slop in the motor housing as the screws pass through, then one might expect a premature failure or it not lasting as long as the OEM.

SO, keep that in mind.  I bought an OEM motor.  Would NOT work or I finally gave up, in my Coach Step.  Then, CW had the same "OEM MOTOR", different manufacturer.  It fit like a glove...or maybe the tech did "open it up a little".  BUT on a 95 dF day and you are under there and get TWO screws lined up and started and the other one will NOT....one's frustration gets on overload.  These motors were NOT made for simple repair...otherwise the screws would have had a tapered pilot point and then threaded from there so that you could line up the screws and put a little pressure on the bolt and it would engage the threads.

I used to be the Chief Engineer for a large fastener manufacturer and we sold a LOT (millions) of Pilot Point screws to Automotive and other large assembly lines.

Pity these were NOT made for easy replacement....