Wiring Harness burned - please help!

JESPHDUSA
Go to solution Solved by JESPHDUSA,

6 hours ago, Davidsharp said:

JESPHDUSA, 

IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME HELP ILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU . Always goin to ward or little rock. 

Thanks, David. That's very generous, and I may take you up on that. But first I have to get the parts. I spent all morning analyzing the situation (first chance I've had to get under there and really see what's what). Looks like I will be replacing the ECU as well, as the connector on the ECU was also plastic and the connector and ECU are fused together. Now I have to source the parts and get them delivered. I will let you know.

Thanks again for the offer - much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Davidsharp said:

Be glad to help you. Just let me know or call me. Ive had really good luck with visone in kentucky. Salvage yard. Might try if you havent already. 

Yep. Visone was one of the first I contacted, but they said they couldn't help me. The website for Colaw RV Salvage in Missouri shows a 2006 Navigator which would have been perfect (no engine bay fire) on their website, but they said they had already scrapped it out. Too bad because I thought I had hit the mother lode when I first saw it.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

UPDATE:

Thanks to everyone on this forum who was so supportive and positive, I felt confident enough to tackle the job myself and a couple of days ago I successfully got the rig running again!!! HOORAY! Cost about $3000 total (which is $1500 less than United Engines in Little Rock charged me last December to do less work). Now I just have to re-install the axle and take her out on the road for some exercise (which I'm anxious to do!).

Thanks again to all who contributed to my education and gave me the belief that we simple "owners" are smart enough to tackle the big problems when necessary. Much appreciated!!

• Like 9

Guest Ray Davis

Great news Eric.   We love this stuff, especially when it works out well.  Yours is sort of a David & Goliath story.        Tell us how you finally decided to conquer the plug & wireing to the ECM & were you able to reuse your old ECM?

Also, what's this about you have got to reinstall the axel?  What axel?

Edited by Ray Davis

Mind posting a pic or two of your repair process and/or the final product?
Just curious is all.  
Lots of ways to do it, interesting to see how others do things, the products used etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Ray Davis said:

Great news Eric.   We love this stuff, especially when it works out well.  Yours is sort of a David & Goliath story.        Tell us how you finally decided to conquer the plug & wireing to the ECM & were you able to reuse your old ECM?

Also, what's this about you have got to reinstall the axel?  What axel?

Hi Ray -

I finally decided to use some high-quality crimp connectors and individual heat-shrink, followed by carefully wrapping the whole bundle. I was not able to re-use the old ECM - it was burned. However, the company that provided the new one (ACM) was able to read the data off it so they could program the new one (which was very helpful). When it was towed, they had to remove the axle prior to towing so no damage would be done to the transmission or rear end.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:56 AM, BradHend said:

Mind posting a pic or two of your repair process and/or the final product?
Just curious is all.  
Lots of ways to do it, interesting to see how others do things, the products used etc. 

Hi Brad -

Here's a picture of the spaghetti mess that I had at one point (mid-repair). I also am posting a picture of the completed product, and a couple of pictures of the old plug that I removed, so you can see the extent of the damages. Cheers!

20231025_104804.jpg

20231024_114707.jpg

20231024_100351.jpg

• Like 3