Wiring Harness burned - please help!

JESPHDUSA
Go to solution Solved by JESPHDUSA,

Hi All -

I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place and be so kind as to move it for me. I am DESPERATELY in need of help.

I didn't find out about the problem where coolant wicks down to the ECU and shorts it out until it happened to me the 2nd time. Last November, it happened and after nine weeks and $4688 it was back running again. Unfortunately, they didn't replace the broken coolant level sensor, so it's happened again! This time, it burned the wiring harness that goes to the coach (from the ECU) and the repair shop says they cannot find parts to fix it. They offer no suggestions. Does anyone know where I can get the wiring harness from the ECU to the coach (Monaco side, not the Detroit Diesel side of the ECU)? I am at my wit's end with the shop telling me "it can't be fixed".

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric

Do you have pic of the burned part? As I understand from your description, it effected the OEM connections where Monaco installed wiring comes into the ECM? I can't see this being replaced as it is custom Monaco bundle going to 'every corner' of the coach but certainly should be able to replace the damaged wiring section?

• Like 3

I had some recent posts on IRV2 regarding Cummins wiring harness and they were able to get it replaced.   I would think Detroit would be able to replace the engine harness. 

If it is the Monaco harness Ivan is right, goes to every corner and also includes wiring for options not even installed. 

I'd think a good tech could track down the problem area and repair. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Do you have pic of the burned part? As I understand from your description, it effected the OEM connections where Monaco installed wiring comes into the ECM? I can't see this being replaced as it is custom Monaco bundle going to 'every corner' of the coach but certainly should be able to replace the damaged wiring section?

Hi Ivan -

Thanks for your help! Looks to me like the thing to do would be to re-wire that connector, but the Detroit Diesel shop refuses to even consider that and won't replace the ECU (again) until "somebody else" fixes the wiring. Locally, I have to pay $50/mile for towing so I am hesitant to have it towed somewhere else to fix the wiring then towed back to replace the ECU. Here's the pictures I took of the damage.

20230702_120805.jpg

20230702_120753.jpg

I would strip back that harness a ways to see how far those brown wires actually go. You can do that yourself with a razor knife.  It’s just a gas but they may not go very far back and if so you could just replace wire by wire and maybe get a new connector. As I’m sure Detroit would have a new connector.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I had some recent posts on IRV2 regarding Cummins wiring harness and they were able to get it replaced.   I would think Detroit would be able to replace the engine harness. 

If it is the Monaco harness Ivan is right, goes to every corner and also includes wiring for options not even installed. 

I'd think a good tech could track down the problem area and repair. 

Hi Jim -

Thanks for the feedback. The repair shop assures me that it is DEFINITELY the "Monaco side" wiring harness, not the Detroit Diesel side. That's why they are washing their hands of it (pass the buck, anyone?). I too think a good tech should be able to splice and re-wire the connector, but where do I get the new connector and the good tech?

2 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

I would strip back that harness a ways to see how far those brown wires actually go. You can do that yourself with a razor knife.  It’s just a gas but they may not go very far back and if so you could just replace wire by wire and maybe get a new connector. As I’m sure Detroit would have a new connector.

Hi Tim -

Thanks. I may have to go do that myself. I asked the shop manager if he could get me a new connector (makes sense, since the ECU is a Detroit Diesel unit). He said he would check, but haven't heard back from him on it. I've seen a number of Detroit Diesel connector repair kits, but not sure which one might help.

Maybe a salvage yard can donate a fresh connector *AND* ECU.  If it's for a different model you may need to have the ECU re-flashed for your model.

Maybe have it towed to a storage yard that will let someone work on premises and find a good tech to do the work. 

- bob

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Maybe a salvage yard can donate a fresh connector *AND* ECU.  If it's for a different model you may need to have the ECU re-flashed for your model.

Maybe have it towed to a storage yard that will let someone work on premises and find a good tech to do the work. 

- bob

Hi Bob -

Thanks for the suggestion. I may end up having to do that, assuming I can find 1) a salvage yard, 2) a storage yard who will allow work 2B done, and/or 3) a good tech. 🙂

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

That looks fixable with a new connector, pins and wire. Yeah, you are in a pickle with towing and I understand why the shop would not touch it but an electronics amateur would if you find one for some incentive. 

I don't mind providing the incentive ($$), just don't know how to locate a good wiring guy and new connector. May end up having to tackle it myself. If I can source a new connector, I probably will, just to move the project along. Of course, I'll probably have to have it towed again to somewhere I'm allowed to work on it. Probably should have just left it in my backyard and tackled it myself to begin with. Only reason I didn't is because I have a warranty that's supposed to cover these repairs. I assumed getting warranty to pay for it would a struggle, but never figured I'd be outdone by the repair shop! LOL

• Like 1

Just now, Donflem said:

Were is the coach at? I know a shop that does that kind of work all the time. I’ve seen them do completely burnt lines and harnesses from scratch but he’s in California. 
Don

Just now, Donflem said:

Were is the coach at? I know a shop that does that kind of work all the time. I’ve seen them do completely burnt lines and harnesses from scratch but he’s in California. 
Don

Hi Don -

Unfortunately, it's in Little Rock, Arkansas. Haven't been able to find anybody locally who wants to tackle the job (and of course, I still haven't located a new connector). Thanks for your help.

Eric

"Thanks. I may have to go do that myself. I asked the shop manager if he could get me a new connector (makes sense, since the ECU is a Detroit Diesel unit). He said he would check, but haven't heard back from him on it. I've seen a number of Detroit Diesel connector repair kits, but not sure which one might help."

Don't wait on the shop. Go to your coach and strip the harness back and see what you have. Once you find good wires you know what you need. Wiring in a new connector is easy. Just take one wire at a time from old plug location to new plug same location. Use a good quality butt connectors then shrink tubing to seal it. If your not sure just how to do it just look up using butt connectors and shrink tubing on You Tube. Then just relax and do it. 

Also once you strip the wiring loom and expose clean wires, take a good look.  On my coach Monaco labeled most wires with label/number which might help. 

Do you have a wiring diagram?  Here's a link for one in the downloads section 

On my chassis wiring diagram is sometimes list part numbers for the different harnesses. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

Use a good quality butt connectors then shrink tubing to seal it. If your not sure just how to do it just look up using butt connectors and shrink tubing on You Tube. Then just relax and do it. 

That many butt connectors will make for a very big bulge at the junction point.  And each connection is only as good as the crimp. 

I'm pretty good at soldering (or at least used to be) so if that were my harness I would cut / strip each wire, jam the two ends together (intermixing the strands together) solder then heat shrink tubing (don't forget to put the tubing on before soldering!).  The key is to make sure the copper isn't oxidized so the solder flows.  But that's me.  Individual results may vary.

- bob

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Also once you strip the wiring loom and expose clean wires, take a good look.  On my coach Monaco labeled most wires with label/number which might help. 

Do you have a wiring diagram?  Here's a link for one in the downloads section 

On my chassis wiring diagram is sometimes list part numbers for the different harnesses. 

Thanks Jim!! I did not have this wiring diagram and I'm sure I will need it. Much appreciated!

2 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

That many butt connectors will make for a very big bulge at the junction point.  And each connection is only as good as the crimp. 

I'm pretty good at soldering (or at least used to be) so if that were my harness I would cut / strip each wire, jam the two ends together (intermixing the strands together) solder then heat shrink tubing (don't forget to put the tubing on before soldering!).  The key is to make sure the copper isn't oxidized so the solder flows.  But that's me.  Individual results may vary.

- bob

For someone who doesn't have the tools or skills butt connectors will work if done properly. All you have to do is stagger the length of the wires so the connectors are not side by side. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

"Thanks. I may have to go do that myself. I asked the shop manager if he could get me a new connector (makes sense, since the ECU is a Detroit Diesel unit). He said he would check, but haven't heard back from him on it. I've seen a number of Detroit Diesel connector repair kits, but not sure which one might help."

Don't wait on the shop. Go to your coach and strip the harness back and see what you have. Once you find good wires you know what you need. Wiring in a new connector is easy. Just take one wire at a time from old plug location to new plug same location. Use a good quality butt connectors then shrink tubing to seal it. If your not sure just how to do it just look up using butt connectors and shrink tubing on You Tube. Then just relax and do it. 

Good advice. Thanks Tim! Not sure they will let me work on it there, but can't hurt to ask. I was an electronics technician in the USAF, so I should be able to handle the job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JESPHDUSA said:

Good advice. Thanks Tim! Not sure they will let me work on it there, but can't hurt to ask. I was an electronics technician in the USAF, so I should be able to handle the job.

Just walk back to your coach with your tool bag and start working on it. If they complain, remind them they would not replace the connector and that's what you are doing. Just do it, don't ask.

Just now, timaz996 said:

Just walk back to your coach with your tool bag and start working on it. If they complain, remind them they would not replace the connector and that's what you are doing. Just do it, don't ask.

Nice thought, but it's in a storage area behind a high fence with a locked gate. No access without permission.

1 minute ago, timaz996 said:

remind them they would not replace the connector and that's what you are doing.  And then I guess you will be buying another ECU from them.

Sorry, I don't know what to say. 

Please don't apologize. Your suggestions have been more than helpful and I'm truly grateful!

• Like 2

Not sure what kind of resources Detroit Diesel can provide but Cummins has the Quickserve site which owners can access that provides info on maintenance, troubleshooting, parts etc.  On the quickserve site there is an electrical schematic that shows both the Cummins and Monaco wiring.  Here's a screen shot for my engine.   MAYBE ANOTHER NAVIGATOR OWNER WITH A CUMMINS CAN GET YOU A COPY, IT WOULD TELL YOU WHAT MONACO WIRED ON THEIR SIDE

image.thumb.png.6197d90ecbbaccca2d80a94307dcea55.png