airbags jacks parking

What length is your Motorhome?  Is it a R4R chassis? Does it have RVA hydraulic leveling jacks? How many miles are on the chassis?  If you have answered yes to these questions and your coach has advanced mileage, you may need to inspect the condition of your leveling jacks. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine (were).

Grinding noise upon raising the rear jacks. I found one of the upper support pins was bent, causing the jack housing to rub its cradle.  

Popping noise as the air springs inflate.  I think caused by air pressure in the bags going negative when raised too high.

Shifting movement when lowering the coach as it settles.  Caused by worn out rubber bushings leaving excessive play in the support cradle.

Replacing the rubber bushings (still available from RVA) and nuts n bolts, replacing the bent upper support pin solved most of my grinding noises.  The air bags still pop sometimes.

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:17 PM, Les Hurdle said:

thought these were the rolls royce's of rv's ? 😉 

They are, including the expensive maintenance. 🙂 I haven't been able to find an owners manual for my Diplomat, a 99, but a 98 manual says to deploy jacks before dumping air. I usually wait for the air to be half way and then set jacks. I wait for all the air to dump and then fine tune the level.

As for the bang, look under your coach while someone else lowers the jack. 

As far as getting under it, I don't. Others do, and have posted details on where to put blocks, not jacks, between frame rails to make it safe(er?) to get underneath. Search this site and you'll find the posts.

Good luck finding your mystery bang.

The safest way to service your coach is to get a set of properly rated heavy duty jack stands, and place them under the frame hard points near the suspension mounts.

Be aware, most stands are rated per pair.

The bang may be caused by the front jack pad binding on an adjacent frame member.

Good luck, and above all stay safe. 🙏