Interior grab handle

Dennis

I don't know how yours are attached.  On my '06 the interior handles were attached with large Philips head screws.  All of them were loose and would not stay tight because the holes were wallowed out over time.  I inserted a set of expansion metal inserts designed for this purpose and tightened up the old screws.  Been good for the last 5 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Stripped-Screw-Hold-Kit-pcs/dp/B001GH7G4Y/ref=sr_1_21?crid=196SYQB09GH9B&keywords=loose+screw+hole+repair&qid=1693938021&sprefix=loose+screw+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-21

Richard

Dennis

I have the same handles on the inside.  A short one on the door frame beside the passenger seat and a longer one at an angle on the dash side coming up the steps.  All of the chrome ends are the same with different length plex dowels in them (all are lighted).  What do your interior handles look like?

Richard

7 hours ago, DennisZ said:

That looks like the exterior handle

Exterior handles break, too.  Brittle plastic.  OEM replacement is plastic and $84.  Aftermarket is chromed metal and $48 but requires "massaging".

I'm adapting an aftermarket handle now

- bob20230903_134846.thumb.jpg.b40abb19907b566d03f9367b78dccf41.jpg

My interior handle is metal like the brochure, and it is loose, same as Dennis's.  Outside is plastic, not lighted as far as I have known.  The plates holding the inside handle ends are rock solid, secured by 2 screws on each plate (so much so that I haven't wanted to risk buggering up the screws trying to get them out).  The interior nut that probably tightens the handle to the backplate may or may not adjust further, and may or may not have space for a washer.  The 1/4" that it wiggles up & down is not bothersome enough to prioritize the repair in comparison to other challenges.  

Following the topic...

Dennis,

I have the clear lexan handles on the dash, but I do have something similar to what you have on the right side of my door as I EXIT.   It was loose and getting scratched up pretty badly.   I took it off and pre-drilled and tapped for set screws.  You can see them in first picture as allen heads.   Then I had the entire handle powder coated.   I grab that handle every time I exit the coach and it's held up for years.

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dennis, have you taken the whole grab bar out completely? On mine, once removed is a screw that holds the plate to the tube. It works loose. One end more than the other, at least on mine.

Once the grab bar is removed, tighten the screws snugly. Then dry fit it. The angle might be off a smidge.  Move the plates around until the screw holes in the plate line up with the dash and floor mounting holes. (Mine mount to dash and floor). Once satisfied tighten the plate screws firmly and install.  

I’ve done mine about three or four times in the last 16 years.  The end at the dash has one side just slightly higher than at the other screw hole. But, as the plate holes are lined up with the dash holes it snugs up just fine. The one at the floor fits perfectly square. That plate goes through the tile and into the steel below.  Had to upsize one screw there to as the at hole was wallowed out.  No more issues.

Since I don’t care for wobbly gab bars, I stay after them.

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0145.jpeg