2003 Knight 8.3 ISC missing the dipstick

OK am really hoping the previous owner broke it and just left it out and stuck the cap back on... However I need a new one Anyone had to replace theirs and happen to have the P/N?

I searched the parts list and none found and searched the forum and did not find any threads addressing this issue.

1 hour ago, JimC295 said:

OK am really hoping the previous owner broke it and just left it out and stuck the cap back on... However I need a new one Anyone had to replace theirs and happen to have the P/N?

I searched the parts list and none found and searched the forum and did not find any threads addressing this issue.

Just for clarification - You need the engine oil dip stick and NOT the transmission oil dip stick - is that correct? 

There are situations where the rear transmission oil access tube is basically a transmission oil fill tube with no dip stick.  Oil level is read from the transmission keypad and the transmission dip stick is under an interior access cover.

• Like 1

I learned from Cummins a couple days ago that my engine was shipped to Monaco without a dip stick or so they claimed. The parts rep started that the air compressor governor and dip stick were supplied by the customer. In my case I would have to go to REV I guess. No idea how accurate that info is or how widely that affects other models. My 525hp ISX was an upgrade so that my explain my scenario.

• Like 1

If you are talking about "Engine Oil" dipstick then you definitely would want one of them and should order one.  The transmission oil dipstick on my 2004 Knight with the ISC 8.3L Cummins is just a cap that looks like a dipstick.  Allison has a way on the control shift panel to check the fluid level.  I have it written down in my coach but as I remember its "Let the engine get up to temperature" and then its push two keys at the same time and it will display if the fluid level is normal or how many quarts to add.  I would prefer an old school dipstick but thats not how these rigs are equipped.  I think there is a short dipstick for the transmission that you have to access through a floor hatch but I've never looked to find it.

6 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

Just for clarification - You need the engine oil dip stick and NOT the transmission oil dip stick - is that correct? 

There are situations where the rear transmission oil access tube is basically a transmission oil fill tube with no dip stick.  Oil level is read from the transmission keypad and the transmission dip stick is under an interior access cover.

Yes, ur correct the engine oil. I am planning on changing all the fluids. My coach has been neglected and the missing dipstick is another symptom of the neglect.

Guest Ray Davis

This used to come up occasionally on the old Yahoo forum.   IIRCC coaches with rear radiators usually have a very long dipstick and it's possible the stick is still down inside the tube.  It seems like they would pull the tube out of the block to retrieve the stick.  Anyway, the dipsticks are sometimes marked wrong from the factory so when you get a dipstick and install the correct amount of oil you can see if it's correct and mark it with a file if you need to.

21 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

This used to come up occasionally on the old Yahoo forum.   IIRCC coaches with rear radiators usually have a very long dipstick and it's possible the stick is still down inside the tube.  It seems like they would pull the tube out of the block to retrieve the stick.  Anyway, the dipsticks are sometimes marked wrong from the factory so when you get a dipstick and install the correct amount of oil you can see if it's correct and mark it with a file if you need to.

Sure hoping this isnt the case. Since the dipstick is so long there is a slim chance it will completely fall into the oil pan, however not a good situation. I've got a request into Rev group. I think salvage yards may be my best bet as suggested by Cbr046.

Guest Ray Davis

I like cbr046 idea of plastic tubing to see if it is stopped by the oil stick inside the tube.  With the thing being so long I don't see how it could fall all of the way down inside the engine.

Another possibility is that someone accidentally left the dipstick out and it got lost and they came up with a handle only.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE; I am feeling a little foolish but in the interest of clarity here we go.

I took what the previous owner said for gospel since I have not owned a MH before. What I was seeing was the oil fill cap with no dip stick and the other tube protruding from the back was told me to be the trans dipstick.. I have spent many hours reading the owners manual and have learned a lot. I took what I was told initially as gospel, turns out he was not as knowledgeable as I thought he was.  Thank all who commented and tried to help me with my non problem, I should have trusted my instinct and realized when I pulled the other dipstick that he was wrong.

• Thanks 1