How to Deal with Carpet under slide when laying flooring?

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

The carpet in my 2002 Dynasty is dingy and I want to replace with hardwood or LVP. What is holding me back is what to do about the carpet that extends under the passenger side slide. 

I cannot get about 1 foot of the carpet under the slide out. I am thinking of cutting the carpet at the edge of the slide when extended and laying the new flooring up to the edge of the old carpet. 

My concern is that the old carpet might get rolled back by the slide roller as the slide moves in and out and create an obstruction. 

Has anyone dealt with this?

What did you do?

Where the heck is the slide roller located?

Pics of the slide I’m talking about. IMG_1767.thumb.jpeg.c4392ce5ee03cfbd9201ca553a0f9c97.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

Ok, update. Need someone who knows how these slides work to please comment. If there is a link anywhere to a drawing of the slide mechanisms that would be terrific.

So I slid a metal L square between the carpet and the slide on the inside of the coach when the slide was out. I think I located two long rollers under the carpeted area of the slide.  When I retract the slide and feel around with the metal square I can no longer reach the rollers under the slide. This leads me to believe that the rollers are fixed in place to the coach and not the slide. I alway thought the roller were on the slide. 

Have I got this correct? The slide is affixed to the coach and the slide rolls over it?

Pat I removed all of the old carpet in my coach. Replaced the carpet in the bedroom with tile. It was difficult to remove the carpet under the slides. However it can be done with a small flat blade prybar. Don't cut the carpet close to the edge . Instead leave enough so that the prybar has some material to grip. I sometimes clamped the carpet to the pry bar using vice grips. Once it starts coming out it gets easier because you have something that you can grab.

Edited by Gary Cole

• Solution

X2 on what Gary says.

First time I replaced my carpeting with laminate I cut the carpet back enough to lay new flooring.  Then in 2021 I replaced the laminate with LVP Pergo and decided to get the remnants of carpet out.  It was difficult, used a long needle nose vise grip and a lot of force to pull while using a flat pry bar to get the staples to release (the installers of the carpet must have been paid by the number of staples they put in).  Finally got it all out.

On my slide, which is elevated higher then yours, two of the rollers are mounted in the slide under the kitchen cabinets and two are mounted in the floor under the couch.  I can access these by removing plastic covers, one is in the basement and one is in the front drivers side wheel well.  I had to remove some of the carpet from underneath and it was difficult due to limited access.  These were the pieces that between the roller and the side of the coach. 

In the end not sure if it was necessary but once I started I was determined to get out all the carpeting. 

Water is the biggest enemy. 

I noticed a soft floor behind passenger seat, this is where my wife had her large dog crates secured over the years, and rarely taken out.  My guess is the spilled water dishes over the years caught up with us.  Once the water is in the subfloor it has no where to go and just keeping the crates there was the worst option.  I now make her take them out after every trip. 

Below is a picture of the damage and final repair, I had no choice on repairing but luckily it wasn't near a slide.  Posting for the benefits of others, if you think you have a leak fix it ASAP.  The second picture is with the subfloor removed but I was able to somewhat salvage the vapor barrier which is the only thing that prevents water from entering underneath as this is right above the front passenger side tire, it is plausible that water got in here.  I used a piece of 3/4" treated plywood for the first layer, and painted with exterior primer, and then a layer of a dense OSB exterior siding.  I used the Pergo LVP flooring

Floor damage.jpg

Floor Prepped.jpg

Floor final subfloor piece.jpg

Floor front almost done.jpg

On 9/27/2023 at 7:35 AM, Ernie Ekberg said:

The rollers are embedded in the floor on the curb side. The rollers on the street side are attached to the slide. Ernie Ekberg flooring emeritus 

Hi @Ernie Ekberg

I must have a unicorn, or maybe it's floorplan specific.    My curb side living room has a couple of  rollers mounted on  coach frame (maybe 3, I'd have to verify) PLUS  1 is mounted on the slide.

2 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

Hi @Ernie Ekberg

I must have a unicorn, or maybe it's floorplan specific.    My curb side living room has a couple of  rollers mounted on  coach frame (maybe 3, I'd have to verify) PLUS  1 is mounted on the slide.

Same!

I have 3 mounted to the floor, and at least 2 mounted to the underside of kitchen cabinets.