Carlsbad, NM to Alamogordo, NM to El Paso

Jeff H

Hello

Has anyone gone from Carlsbad to Alamogordo.  My Garmin is saying to go north to Roswell and then across 380/70.  Google says to go Artesia and across 82.  I assume there is a low tunnel or some other reason not to go the shorter route.  How are the climbs?

Been 55 yrs since I did it, but I seem to recall pretty good mountain between Roswell and Alamogordo.   My default thought would be look Carlsbad to Alamogordo.   Figure out what wrong--with the 82, if any thing.   Is that a big RV Garmin wanting you to go the long way?

56 minutes ago, philcarrell said:

Don't take 82 out of Artesia, tunnel and a steep descent from tunnel down to Alamogordo, plus a long uphill into Cloudcroft. The route through Roswell and Ruidoso is much Better.  I live in Carlsbad and know the roads much better.

I defer to your wisdom.  I haven't been since mid sixties so back when it was one lane each way through the res.

I haven't been to Alamogordo since I was planning for the F-117 Stealth Fighter around 2006 (Holloman AFB). I agree, going through Roswell and Ruidoso is an easier route for a MH.

The Space Museum has been updated over the years and is a nice visit (at least the last time I was through there). They add some nice track sled stuff - pretty interesting. HAM (the first Chimp in orbit) is buried there (near the flag pole in-front of the Museum).

White Sands is beautiful (esp as the sun drops low). Just be careful about soft White Sand (gypsum) on the edges of the road through the park.

13 hours ago, Jeff H said:

Hello

Has anyone gone from Carlsbad to Alamogordo.  My Garmin is saying to go north to Roswell and then across 380/70.  Google says to go Artesia and across 82.  I assume there is a low tunnel or some other reason not to go the shorter route.  How are the climbs?

It's doable.US-82-GoogleMaps.thumb.jpg.15cd1e8b454284769f4a4b1e68bdf013.jpg

Thank you all

The Garmin RV1090 will show an elevation profile and the shortr route does have a steeper descent.  The tunnel looks do able from the picture but I think I would want to be over the center line.  Roswell it is!

And thanks for the advice on things to do.  Any recommendations on parks?

1 hour ago, Jeff H said:

Thank you all

The Garmin RV1090 will show an elevation profile and the shortr route does have a steeper descent.  The tunnel looks do able from the picture but I think I would want to be over the center line.  Roswell it is!

And thanks for the advice on things to do.  Any recommendations on parks?

Roswell - Red Barn RV Park.  Had great WiFi.  You can drive (maybe an hour) to Carlsbad.  Check their website.  I THINK the Bats migrate now.....in that they fly out in mass....as in the sky is sort of darkened at night from the Caverns and go out and do what "Bats Do At Night".  Really a great event....if you like to see Nature.

Our trip down to Carlsbad from Roswell was delayed....  There is a 4 lane highway....and an individual and his GF got into a TIFF.  He threw her out of the car....literally and fired a few shots at her and she ran.  Then he barricaded himself in the car and it took the hostage negotiators several hours to convince him to come out, unarmed.  The HP shut off both sides and we were routed, fortunately in the TOAD, on some very picturesque town and countryside.....  Thus the adventures of traveling.  It was about this same time in 2013....as we had attended the ABQ Balloon Festival and spent time later in Santa Fe and then drove south to Roswell and headed for Abilene on our way home...

8 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Roswell - Red Barn RV Park.  Had great WiFi.  You can drive (maybe an hour) to Carlsbad.  Check their website.  I THINK the Bats migrate now.....in that they fly out in mass....as in the sky is sort of darkened at night from the Caverns and go out and do what "Bats Do At Night".  Really a great event....if you like to see Nature.

Our trip down to Carlsbad from Roswell was delayed....  There is a 4 lane highway....and an individual and his GF got into a TIFF.  He threw her out of the car....literally and fired a few shots at her and she ran.  Then he barricaded himself in the car and it took the hostage negotiators several hours to convince him to come out, unarmed.  The HP shut off both sides and we were routed, fortunately in the TOAD, on some very picturesque town and countryside.....  Thus the adventures of traveling.  It was about this same time in 2013....as we had attended the ABQ Balloon Festival and spent time later in Santa Fe and then drove south to Roswell and headed for Abilene on our way home...

Yes we are at Carlsbad right now At the Carlsbad RV Park.  It is an old KOA.  Very nice spot in a new spot.  We were the first to pull in so the owner was glad to see I was able to pull in no problem.  We came here from the balloon festival.  That was amazing to see.

We went to t he caves today and we will go back for the bats tomorrow.  We are going to go to Alamogordo Sunday for a couple nights then to El Paso for a couple nights then to Tucson for a bit then we are going to hike down to the bottom of the grand canyon and spend the night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff H said:

Yes we are at Carlsbad right now At the Carlsbad RV Park.  It is an old KOA.  Very nice spot in a new spot.  We were the first to pull in so the owner was glad to see I was able to pull in no problem.  We came here from the balloon festival.  That was amazing to see.

We went to t he caves today and we will go back for the bats tomorrow.  We are going to go to Alamogordo Sunday for a couple nights then to El Paso for a couple nights then to Tucson for a bit then we are going to hike down to the bottom of the grand canyon and spend the night.

Welcome to Carlsbad hope you enjoy your stay

9 hours ago, philcarrell said:

Welcome to Carlsbad hope you enjoy your stay

Thank you Phil

It has been quite nice.  We love the park in town and have walked around the lake everyday.  Thinking we will go fo a hike today and then go see the bats this evening.