REVISED 11-16-23 MAGNUM - SETUP REMOTE GUIDELINES

Tom Cherry

EDIT...  I have updated the Guidelines per input from @Frank McElroy

Am attaching the PDF to this post.  Frank will update and replace the File with the new copy.  If you want it NOW, then download my file...which Frank will "revise the title" to match his nomenclature.  This covers the Aquahot concern.

END OF EDIT

Just a heads up that if you have downloaded or used this file, there is now a revision or change in two parameters.

The logic for the AGS setup start and the Low Battery Cutoff got out of sync....as did the correct voltages.  This was checked many times and also proofed by some experts as well.  BUT, a member recently contacted me and in helping him in his emergency....the OMG, this needs to be reversed....hit me.

So, please replace the original with the new one.  I highlighted the changes and also revised the explanation so it is correct now.

Thanks....happy charging and inverting...

TGC Rev 2 ME-RC Setup Guidelines 11_16_23.pdf

Edited by Tom Cherry
Revised with Aquahot warning for AGS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Just a heads up that if you have downloaded or used this file, there is now a revision or change in two parameters.

The logic for the AGS setup start and the Low Battery Cutoff got out of sync....as did the correct voltages.  This was checked many times and also proofed by some experts as well.  BUT, a member recently contacted me and in helping him in his emergency....the OMG, this needs to be reversed....hit me.

So, please replace the original with the new one.  I highlighted the changes and also revised the explanation so it is correct now.

Thanks....happy charging and inverting...

You might want to add a note to set the starting volts at 12.1 if you have the Aquahot.  The reason is that the Aquahot will cut off if the voltage is less than 12.  To restart it, you can either flip the diesel switch on and or, or press the reset button in the Aquahot bay.  I found this out the hard way at 0400 in January.  

9 hours ago, dandick66 said:

You might want to add a note to set the starting volts at 12.1 if you have the Aquahot.  The reason is that the Aquahot will cut off if the voltage is less than 12.  To restart it, you can either flip the diesel switch on and or, or press the reset button in the Aquahot bay.  I found this out the hard way at 0400 in January.  

I did some googling as I thought that 12.0 was too high.  MOST of the AH manuals say 10.5.

Try googling  Aquahot voltage shutoff.  there are "Blurbs" and all say 10.5 VDC and you get hits on many manuals....Old and New....all with the same 10.5 VDC

Setting the AGS at 12.1 is too high.  In reality, assuming that you know how your Magnum Remote "reads" or the accuracy when there is a 5 - 10% load....so you put on the recommended load....then monitor and compare the Remote to the REAL LOAD or UNDER LOAD voltage.  My remote reads, with NO LOAD, about 0.10 - 0.15 LOWER than the REAL battery Voltage or the House System Voltage.  THEN, under load, a little lower. BUT....the AGS does NOT know or care (LOL) that the Recovery Voltage will be about 0.15 - 0.20 VDC HIGHER.  So, the same. 

SO.  The AGS starts on the REMOTE VOLTAGE.  Set it at 12.0 or so....then in reality, you are starting to recharge around 12.15 - 12.20 ( the EXPECTED Recovery or REAL SOC Voltage) of 60%... so...depending on your rig and how much, either way, the error is and what the "Recovery Voltage" or spring back is, you are starting to recharge too quickly.  That is what the 11.9/12.0 was used....  BUT....one must test.

Thanks for the comment.  The only time I have had faults, as I rarely let the batteries drop, was when they did GO BELOW 11.5 VDC.  And that protected the battery....Can't recall if the Aquahot needed to be reset.

Thanks for straightening me out.  I could have sworn that I read that the burner would not work with at least 12 volts.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Now, I have to figure out why my AH cut out in the middle of the night.  That was a couple of years ago and I’ve done the maintenance on it since then.  If I recall correctly the gap was way off on the electrodes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, dandick66 said:

Thanks for straightening me out.  I could have sworn that I read that the burner would not work with at least 12 volts.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Now, I have to figure out why my AH cut out in the middle of the night.  That was a couple of years ago and I’ve done the maintenance on it since then.  If I recall correctly the gap was way off on the electrodes. 

Actually you were correct about not running the aquahot much below about 12.1 volts.  The reason is that the burner blower fan will not run fast enough and you run the risk of deforming the combustion chamber.  This happened on Bill Grove's (RIP) coach.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to REVISED 11-16-23 MAGNUM - SETUP REMOTE GUIDELINES
On 11/14/2023 at 6:50 PM, Frank McElroy said:

Actually you were correct about not running the aquahot much below about 12.1 volts.  The reason is that the burner blower fan will not run fast enough and you run the risk of deforming the combustion chamber.  This happened on Bill Grove's (RIP) coach.

Revised the PDF.  Here is the new file.  I think this addresses it....if NOT, let me know and I will revise...

Thanks for the explanation.  I had never known that a sustained (days or hours?) lower blower speed would warp the chamber...but it DOES make sense.  Don't know if AH ever changed the motors so that a lower voltage...say 11.9 or so would be OK.

TGC Rev 2 ME-RC Setup Guidelines 11_16_23.pdf