Should I Replace tire valve stem hoses?

NGADawgs
Go to solution Solved by Guest Ray Davis,

I just got the axles repacked with new seals in place. In the process, they removed the wheels. On my drive home from the shop, my Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) gave me an alert. After pulling into a parking lot, I realized that one of the hoses was leaking. It appears to have been stressed during mounting. Fleetpride in Cumming, GA told me to bring it back and they would repair for free, Great service.
However, I believe that all 4 hoses on the rear wheels are original and 17 years old. Should I be proactive and replace the other 3 hoses? Has anyone else had hose failures?

Thanks much!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NGADawgs said:

I just got the axles repacked with new seals in place. In the process, they removed the wheels. On my drive home from the shop, my Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) gave me an alert. After pulling into a parking lot, I realized that one of the hoses was leaking. It appears to have been stressed during mounting. Fleetpride in Cumming, GA told me to bring it back and they would repair for free, Great service.
However, I believe that all 4 hoses on the rear wheels are original and 17 years old. Should I be proactive and replace the other 3 hoses? Has anyone else had hose failures?

Thanks much!

I am assuming these are the braided hoses that extend from the valve stem. Considering their age, if they are offering to reset these at their cost I would buy new hoses and ask them to use them instead of the originals. If they ask why you can always say "in case they OEM were damaged during the previous tire replacement. Just being cautious. Your labor cost is the greater cost here. Mine are 18 years old and I noticed one of the schraeder valve units occasionally leaking when the TPSM sensor is not seated. I will be replacing the tires in January and will replace the hoses at that time too.

I would dump the hoses and go with solid extensions. Not as good as one piece extended valves but better than hoses and don't even require wheel removal to replace, which shouldn't even be ever necessary unless valve replacement if ever done with new tires. Pretty sleek, IMO. Do you really need an extension for the outer wheel...I don't. 

Screenshot_20231113_142958_Amazon Photos.jpg

• Like 1

• Solution
Guest Ray Davis

Some seem to get by with the flexible extensions, mine always leaked.    So yrs ago I bit the bullet and bought the good stuff, never leaked again.      Now these things are not cheap but it's a kit especially made for our Monaco wheels, they are different, the holes are different.  The kit has a grommet made to fit that odd Monaco hole.  Tires are really serious items on our coaches,  bad things happen when one goes flat.   These are not extensions but specially shaped one-piece stems.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/3451/dl4m-chrome-duallyvalve-dl4m

Edited by Ray Davis

Thank you Ray and others,

That's the kind of great info that this site brings.  I knew there was a better solution than the flexible hoses.  I was able to pick up Duallyvalve parts to fit my coach (one wheel is different) for under $100 on Ebay.  

Also thanks to the site moderators for all of the time and effort they put in this site.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Some seem to get by with the flexible extensions, mine always leaked.    So yrs ago I bit the bullet and bought the good stuff, never leaked again.      Now these things are not cheap but it's a kit especially made for our Monaco wheels, they are different, the holes are different.  The kit has a grommet made to fit that odd Monaco hole.  Tires are really serious items on our coaches,  bad things happen when one goes flat.   These are not extensions but specially shaped one-piece stems.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/3451/dl4m-chrome-duallyvalve-dl4m

The original owner, Bill or Bob Borg was the father of the long extension tire valves.  That was the most recommended upgrade over the years. Now a bit of trivia and also some practical advice, if you purchase from “Borgland”.  Monaco had a proprietary wheel with a special designed “hole” or slot.  They dropped it, at least on the Camelots in 2009….or maybe earlier.  If your holes or slots have a non round or more of a D Shaped opening, then you MAY NOT need an extension.  We have a Moderator that just screws his Pressure Pro TPMS sensors on the OEM MONACO Accuride (I think) wheel.  There is adequate clearance to actually screw them on.  This is on a 2008 Dynasty.  Grizzly just posted and confirmed he can reach through the proprietary outer “hole” and screw on his TPMS.  My round holes are two small, maybe if my hand was a man’s X Small…

Borg actually had custom grommets molded to fit the “non circular” Proprietary Monaco holes.  My Accuride wheels have cast, circular holes.  I had to specify the diameter of the holes when I ordered, as well as the l3ngths.  I have had my Borg stems since 2012….the tires are the second set.  Both shops commented that the Borg valves and longer ones were the best quality they had ever seen,

I experimented with extensions and they never worked with my Pressure Pro TPMS.  

So, my advice, based on lots of topic posting for the past 14 years.  BORG is top line…..  

• Like 1

My coach came with a rubber coated extenders.  Eventually one started leaking and was removed. A year later (2 years ago) the tires were replaced and I installed ss braided extenders and no problems so far. 
I have had an ongoing issue with the driver side outer tire slowly losing air. I could not find it and took it to the tire shop. Turns out that the valve stem was leaking against the wheel rim. These stems are all oem. Decided to replace the stems on both the outer tires with shorter ones and angle for easier inflation via the flowthru sensors. This allowed me to do away with the short extenders for the outer wheels that effectively made a u-turn. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the new installed stems to attach.