Diamond Shield or 3M?

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

On 1/3/2024 at 10:37 AM, KarenG said:

Thanks, it's getting there! The vinyl graphics were an issue but I'm working on it. The black razor blades came from Walmart in a 5 pack. I did not see them anywhere else. Oranfe from Amazon. All were super inexpensive,  but the ratings were good and they were perfect for the job. My personal recommendation is use them up. Newer blades with sharp edges are worth it, and and I did use 220 and 320 sandpaper to touch up the up a little in between. I'm still finishing the adhesive removal, but I used about 3/4 gallon. The weather will impact how much solvent. Warmer weather would have helped. It was 50-ish with wind chills in the 40s and lots of wind.

A side note: be sure to cover off your headlights and back up cameras, windshield wipers, etc really well. I used plastic bags and painter's tape. 

20240103_092313.thumb.jpg.754d6d9423c3edd52623e4840c331872.jpg

20240103_092254.jpg

Hi Karen I used the same razors on mine worked  much better then the large red ones with Wagner Steamer however the best solvent I found to use was Rapid Remover which you can get from Amazon also.

IMG_0962.png

On 12/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, Dr4Film said:

I believe the shield installed on Monaco coaches has been the Diamond Shield, HOWEVER, the Window Sticker & Data Card probably states that it is the 3M shield.

Dave Pratt knows the history.

I hired Dazzling Detail to remove mine on the Windsor. They repainted and touched up areas that were damaged after removal.

Richard,  What did they charge you to remove and replace yours?  I'm needing to have mine replaced.  The only heartburn I have with Dazzling Detailing is getting them to show up.  I've been 'stood up' 4 times now with a no show for having our coach detailed.  They seem to do good work whenever they do show up though but they haven't showed up for the last several times I've called them, and I feel I have been very generous to his guys when they have showed up.

23 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Richard,  What did they charge you to remove and replace yours?  I'm needing to have mine replaced.  The only heartburn I have with Dazzling Detailing is getting them to show up.  I've been 'stood up' 4 times now with a no show for having our coach detailed.  They seem to do good work whenever they do show up though but they haven't showed up for the last several times I've called them, and I feel I have been very generous to his guys when they have showed up.

@Mike H They charged me $1200 for the removal and repaint/touch-up of the front cap. I did not have them reinstall anything as I had decided to sell the coach by then and figured I would leave it up to the new owner as to what they might want to do for any protection. If I had kept the coach, I was going to have a shop in Texas do a color-coded "truck liner" type of material applied to the front cap.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

@Mike H They charged me $1200 for the removal and repaint/touch-up of the front cap. I did not have them reinstall anything as I had decided to sell the coach by then and figured I would leave it up to the new owner as to what they might want to do for any protection. If I had kept the coach, I was going to have a shop in Texas do a color-coded "truck liner" type of material applied to the front cap.

I'll be looking to have the 3M film replaced.  Did they even give you a quote for replacing the film?

The final solution for me is the Line-X spray on truck bed liner.  You can match the color or use black. 

There are some DYI kits available on Amazon (Raptor).  You will have to scuff the clear coat to get better adhesion.  Watch your over-spray.  Lots of work.

To remove the adhesive, use oven cleaner, but be careful as it will attack any adhesive it makes contact with.